The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Thursday 21 November 2019

Raging boar!

I had my Italian class last night and was almost home, just reaching the outskirts of my village, when I ran into a wild boar! Well five of them actually. There are no street lights on that road so everything was pitch black, but I was driving slowly enough that I actually saw them crossing the road ahead of me and was able to swerve enough to just miss them - well four of 'em! Turns out there was a fifth one clambering his way up out of the field and I hit the bugger - or more exactly, he hit me with an almighty thump! He wasn't that big and wasn't even moving that quickly but the impact was pretty impressive, although I didn't stop to chat! There was a car coming the other way and he must have seen what happened so I pulled over but by that time they had already disappeared into the field on the other side of the road. Oddly enough, in 30 years of living here, this is only the second time I've seen wild boar, and it was also on this very spot that I saw deer last year, but only once! Weird that, considering how rural it is! I didn't get out of my car as I didn't want to try and get friendly with a wild boar with a bad shoulder and a grudge, but when I got home the damage didn't seem too bad - that is, until I looked at it again this morning. He must have hit towards my passenger side door and has indeed dented the body work as well as the front bumper. I suppose I'll stop in at Ford to see what they think and then decide if I want to put in a claim on my insurance. I intend to run this car into the ground so I'm not that bothered about a few dents but if the insurance will pay up I may get it fixed if my car won't be off the road too long. If not, since I don't consider my car a status symbol or a "reflection of my virility", I'll probably just leave it. It could have been a lot worse I suppose!

Ugly, bad tempered buggers - but can you imagine running into five of them!


Oh, and I see that ol' "Air Miles" has seemingly spoken to mummy and she graciously accepted for him to withdraw from royal duties for the foreseeable future" (and thus give up his £250,000 royal income). Ha ha, about bloody time too, particularly with all his charities' sponsors dropping him like a hot turd! Not that I think he, the parasite or the offspring will be getting real jobs any time soon though, but I suppose we could always start a "gofundme" page just in case. Wouldn't want them to have to rough it like we mere plebs would we!

6 comments:

  1. We don't have wild boards here, but we do have white tailed deer, herds of them. They're all over the place. The other night I was coming home from the movies. While waiting at a red light, three of them scampered across the street heading towards the Planet Fitness parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think they were going to use the treadmills? Funnily enough I remember going to my in-laws place in Pittsburgh and there was a very pretty little route I loved to take through woodland. But every time we went back to visit they had torn out more woodland and built another mall (although how ANY of those malls are viable with so many in the area beats me). So what they got in the end was deer running up and down the freeway desperately trying to make it back into the woods. Very sad!

      Delete
  2. I wonder how they will get along without a quarter of a million dollars. At least the girls do work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll make a big difference given the way they seem to spend but I'm sure they won't starve. And the girls work - when they're not on holiday of course! (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a bitch but this lot really get my goat)!

      Delete
  3. Glad you did not get out of the car after the boar collision. Though we do have wild boar in the rural areas of the state there are more feral pigs which get to be enormous, plus they litter 3 times a year and are very aggressive critters. My Bil and Sil live on a cattle farm and the pigs are more irritating to them than the coyotes. Their rule of thumb is never leave the house at night unarmed. The coyotes will run off when they hear humans but the pigs will charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have been armed of course, but I knew enough to stay in my car obviously. All I had on me was my Swiss army knife - could have plucked his eyebrows I suppose!

      Delete