The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 11 January 2020

A one-man Olympic team!

I mentioned yesterday about Stan's son representing Nigeria in the cross-country skiing in February's winter Olympics, and that he could well be a one-man team (I'm not totally sure of that but it makes sense doesn't it). Well along the lines of the great Eddie the Eagle (as a Brit I'm so proud of that guy!!!!) it got me to thinking about Eric the Eel (better known as Eric Moussambani), who represented Equatorial Guinea in the swimming at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. From what I remember, after two false starts by his fellow competitors they were disqualified, so all Eric had to do was successfully swim 100 metres to qualify! Thing is, he nearly didn't make it as, to be honest, he could barely swim! But the crowd were on their feet cheering him on and he did, indeed, do it!!!

I tried to post the video as it is so funny but apparently it is the property of the Olympics Committee so it won't play here. If you get a chance have a look. 17,000 people on their feet cheering him on! Just brilliant!


Eric Moussambani - he said that moment changed his life!
Sam's participation for Nigeria will be nothing like that because he was tipped to be selected for France (until his accident), but what a lovely story Eric Moussambani's is - one of the most memorable Olympic moments of all time!

8 comments:

  1. He did it.
    That's all that matters, right? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And everyone remembers Eric the Eel but I, for one, couldn't tell you who won the gold!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed that Eddie the Eagle movie. Now I'll be watching the Olympics for Stan's son, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former athlete who oved the games and spirit of healthy competition, I am a frim mind that people really should just do it! While I don't think there should be medals for participating, I think acknowledging hard effort is always deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some wonderful moments in sports. Not sure if it was the Olympics but one runner (Argentinian?) actually fractured his leg (in the marathon?). He was on the home strait when his dad ran onto the track and helped him to limp over the finishing line. It was amazing. And again, I still can't tell you who won that race!

      Delete
  4. Which just reiterates the fact that memorable and stellar are not one in the same. I remember Eric the eel and Eddie the eagle, but like you I have no clue who won.
    Supposedly during a Broadway run in a play one of the lesser characters sniped that she was a better actress than the star, Tallulah Bankhead. Miss Bankhead, not to be outdone told the young ingenue that she could upstage her even if she was not in the scene. In the evenings performance Tallulah exited the stage and on cue she set her champagne glass forcefully on the table. Halfway over he edge of the table. Unknown to anyone else she had put spirit gum on the bottom of the glass creating a tacky surface, so that even though the glass looked like it would fall any second it would hold until her return. As predicted the audience was glued to watching the glass waiting for it to fall and missed most of the actresses break out performance..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that story about Tallulah Bankhead is quite something isn't it. Bitchy but so efficient!

      Delete