The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Thursday 3 September 2020

God bless you Scratch, wherever you are!

I had my French language proficiency test today in connection with my request for French citizenship. Up until April of this year anyone over 60 didn't have to take the test, but on 1 April all that changed and now everyone requesting citizenship has to take it. I can't say I was particularly bothered but it was just one more hoop to jump through all the same. Then again, if getting citizenship gives you the right to vote I think it's only right that your French should be good enough to understand French politics don't you? Not that I do actually understand French politics but .... I certainly consider my French up to it should I ever show an interest!

I set off really early because although it was in a town not far from here I didn't know the exact location. On the way there I saw a Buffalo Grill steak house so I thought I'd stick one to the ex and have lunch there. I've written about this before but we used to go to Buffalo Grill sometimes when we were shopping in Annecy (they make a mean margarita), but my ex always used to do his nut because they put CORN in the free salad they gave you before your meal!!!! Damn, CORN??? My solution to that problem was either refuse the free salad or pick the corn out of it, but NO, his solution was that we should never set foot in that den of iniquity ever again! And he stuck to it! So, with a "devil may care" attitude I decided to eat at the Buffalo Grill before going on to my French test (although I passed on the margarita since I needed to keep my single brain cell alive for the test). And guess what, nobody died and the world didn't stop spinning because there was corn in the salad!

It's a good job I set out early though as it was a real pain to find this place. I was supposed to show up at 14h and 20 minutes beforehand I'm still driving round in circles looking for it. I finally found it though and was still in good time for the test. I'd guess there were about 20 of us in the group and it was very well organized - all covid-compliant and stuff. They walked us through the mechanics of the test and then we set to with the first part, which was the oral comprehension. I mentioned before that that was the part that most bothered me because while I understood everything that was said, as the questions became more difficult I always felt that the answers were ambiguous and several could have been right, and that was certainly true this time. That being said, the test was actually much easier than the practice tests I had been sitting, so that was a positive. Then we had the written comprehension test which, again, was pretty straightforward (although French can get pretty "flowery" - you know, why use one word when 100 will do?), followed by an exercise where we had to write three paragraphs on three different topics - which was fine, except for having to deal with a French keyboard. Still I managed. When I'd finished I turned to look out the window at the kids walking past and I realized that I could see the screen of the guy facing the window. He had his screen set up in a really huge font and that was when I realized that we didn't all have the same test. I could actually read his questions from where I sat (not that I was cheating of course) and he wasn't sitting the same test as me!

This test had never particularly worried me and for that I can only send praises up to heaven for my old French teacher, Mr. Etches - who we all referred to affectionately as Scratch! He was incredibly strict but very fair, and he used to wander up and down the classroom singing verb endings (how to conjugate French verbs) and as daft as it sounds those bloody songs stuck. Ten trillion years later, when I joined my friend Ian in Bulgaria, we got to talking about Scratch and Ian started singing Scratch's "verb conjugating songs"! When I got my job in Geneva at the age of 21 I took the time to write to Scratch and thanked him for his wonderful teaching, which "was absolutely instrumental in helping me to get my fabulous job in Geneva". He wrote back to me, addressing me as "Treaders", saying how I was a delight to teach and that he was so glad that he had made an impact on my life. I learned that he died shortly thereafter but I know that somewhere I still have that letter!

Anyway, thanks to Scratch I wasn't particularly worried about writing in French. I make mistakes, of course, but not that many, so I'm pretty confident about the written part. The good thing was that the oral and written comprehension part was easy to mark as we went along, so at the end of the test we got our results. A1 and A2 are basically "you speak basic French" and are not accepted as sufficient fluency to become French citizens. At a minimum you need B1 - and I couldn't believe it when I got C2!!! That's not the definitive score because the written and the oral interview have to be marked first but I'm pretty damn pleased with that anyway. Apparently I got 699/700, and the Algerian guy next to me asked me if I was French when he clocked my score (so why would I be applying for French citizenship?)!!!! I didn't dare look at his score because it didn't feel right, but I'm assuming it should have been ok - I mean, Algerians speak French anyway right!

After that it was the one-on-one interview on three different subjects. She asked me what my hobbies were, so after "patchwork, walking in the mountains etc." I mentioned reading. So she asked what I was reading at the moment, and when I said Donald Trump's niece's book she asked me to tell her the "juicy bits". I told her that Mary Trump certainly didn't hold back and it was a good read, and she just laughed.

This lady gets to mark me on my interview with her but the recording of it is then sent off to Paris and they will have the definitive say-so for the marks. So I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the final results (they have to mark the written test also) and then I'll know if I can proceed with my citizenship request.

The campus was in a beautiful spot alongside the Salève mountain with a view over the city of Geneva. House prices (I imagine) are higher around there because of the proximity to the Swiss border, and there are some truly stunning houses around, but I don't think I would like to be negotiating those little winding roads every day, particularly not in winter!


As I was driving back I noticed that the mountains were particularly spectacular today, with clear blue skies and a fabulous view of the Mont Blanc. I couldn't stop to get a photo though, but by golly some days are just diamonds. But you know what will probably bug me for a long time? If I got 699/700 on the test that they were already able to mark, what was the question I got wrong?


16 comments:

  1. You live in such beautiful countryside. Good job on the test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. The results won't be definitive until the oral and written are marked but I'm not worried now.

      Delete
  2. Bless Scratch! And obviously, you paid attention in his class.
    Don't let that one question you missed bother you. I doubt even a French-born citizen could have done better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you had no choice but to listen to Scratch. He absolutely commanded respect - and that's why we all did so well. As for the one question - nah, I'll never know anyway!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! I didn't think you were going to have any issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I guess I'll have to knuckle down and learn all about French history. Apparently it can go either way in the interview (if I ever get one). Some people have said it was a pretty easy and others have found their examiners very tough. So time to get the books out again I suppose!

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you did well on the interview. I wish my French was still goo. It is poor at best now-not even conversational, just a bunch of words strewn together that might get me from A to B. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd soon pick it back up if you lived here if you already have the basics!

      Delete
  5. I have missed one question before and absolutely died to know what I missed. One time, I really got it right and the physics teacher hated me from then on. I had a professor give me a 99 because he did not know the meaning of a word I used in as essay. This was an educator, teacher of education, and he should have known he could look up the word! But, it still drove me nuts until I found out why. It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a French citizen. I wonder if the US should test English when people want to be a citizen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned above, if becoming French gives you the right to vote, their argument is that you should be able to follow political debate, so yes I think the US should test English. I wonder about the UK too actually because I know some newly-minted British citizens bring wives over from their home countries who never integrate and never learn the language! As for your examiner, that is scandalous. My friend's son was in an English class at school (in Switzerland). Both parents are English and they spoke English at home. The teacher used the word "height" and pronounced it "hate" so her son spoke up and said it was pronounced "hite" - and the teacher went ballistic and told him he was wrong! Ha! When my son, the plumber, had to take basic English in his plumbing apprenticeship, at the exam he handed over his British passport as proof of identity and the lady just went "oh dear, I'm in trouble" and they had a good laugh. Either way, they were cheap marks for him!

      Delete
  6. I hope every one remembers their particular "Scratch" who taught them above and beyond well!
    Your scenery is spectacular as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think everyone remembers Scratch. Actually I saw on a school FB page that someone mentioned him there too. We were also lucky enough to have a fabulous maths teacher called Mr. Hoyle (we called him "Olive", for obvious reasons) and he dragged us all kicking and screaming through advanced maths! Good men, both of them. And it's been ages since I've been up the Salève so I'd forgotten how pretty it is there. It's not very high but they have some good walks up there so maybe I'll add that to my "to do" list!

      Delete
  7. Well done, we were all confident that you would walk that test but even if I was a native French speaker I’d have been such a bag of nerves, I’d never have managed the meal before. Scenery and sky afterwards, I’d have been so grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. The results aren't final yet of course but I think I'm home and dry. I have to admit I have always been pretty laid back regarding exams. I figured I've worked consistently all year round so panicking today won't make things any better. And I'm glad about that too because I remember when I was in junior school one kid used to get so nervous he always peed himself just before the exam! "Excuse me Miss but Martin's had another accident"!

      Delete
  8. Well done so far! I'm sure you will finish top of the class. You were very lucky to have such a good and inspiring French teacher. My head was full of mince at school I could have done so much better as I had good teachers too but I was too busy with all the nonsense of being a teenager! It's the one thing in my life I regret is not paying more attention to school and exams but that said, I've had a lovely contented life for the most part so I shouldn't complain! I think every report card I ever got said 'could do better'!! As I sit here mid Friday afternoon mooching my way through blogs I think it might still apply!! Have a nice weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a conformist when I was a teenager it's embarrassing to think about now, but hey, it got me where I wanted to be - which was out of England. I couldn't stomach living in inner-city Birmingham for the rest of my life in the pouring rain, so they only way out that I knew was to study - and it worked. I wouldn't worry too much about report cards though. Both my kids' report cards always said that they "were charming, but ..." and they turned out ok.

      Delete