The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 15 February 2021

Squeaky!

Do you ever wish you'd gotten into the shower just a few minutes earlier? Yeah, me too! I was still slobbing around the other day around 11 a.m. when the doorbell rang, and who should be there but Stan, my Nigerian friend. He retired a couple of years ago and spends most of his time back home in Nigeria, but comes to France for a couple of months every year to be with his wife and his three adult kids who are all now parents in their own right. It obviously works for them, and when his (French) wife retires in a couple of years I guess she will spend much of her time over there, although I'm guessing she'll still want to spend most of her time here in France where her grandkids are. Like I say, it works for them. But it was lovely to see Stan again. I was sitting there (unwashed and pretty pungent I would suspect) in t-shirt and sweats and he was sitting there in a big puffy coat and scarf - I guess the temperature difference is that great right. But André was there and we all got to sit around chatting for about an hour and it was really lovely. I miss having Stan's coffee shop/bar to stop off at, and despite what was apparently promised, nothing has been set up to replace it. Maybe that's an opportunity for some enterprising young person once this damn pandemic is over!

I also got a call from my long-term friend the other day, which I couldn't answer because I was at the Préfecture for my permit, but when I called back, there she was sitting with her hair in curlers saying she didn't mind because it was only me! Now that's friendship! She had her naturalisation interview a year ago and still has heard nothing so I guess I've got plenty of time ahead of me. The other day I spent a good hour going through the "100 most likely questions to be asked at your interview" and while it was ok it was also incredibly wearing. I like history and geography but am not so interested in culture and politics, so that will be a challenge. I like reading about different political candidates' leanings but how the whole system works - nah not so much. I remember having to read "The Corridors of Power" about the UK political system many years ago and absolutely hating it. I don't know, maybe it gets more interesting with time! I certainly hope so!

We got quite a dumping of snow the other day, but 24 hours later the sun was out and most of it was starting to melt so "yay me", no more shovelling that stuff! I noticed that when I took stuff up to the partly-burned-out compost bin the other day primroses were valiantly trying to poke their noses up through the snow. A sure sign of spring on its way! Spring is my favourite season so I'll take that as a positive even if realistically I know we've got a good six to eight weeks more of winter to deal with!

When I woke up the other day I realized I was stiff all over, and tired of hobbling down the stairs like a 90 year old woman - well the first few stairs at least. So I spent 15 minutes doing a short yoga work-out immediately after getting out of bed and guess what, it worked. Fifteen minutes and I feel great again! André has obviously been feeling bored lately so every time he comes downstairs he yanks the door on the landing back and forth so I get to listen to it squeaking. So the other day I thought I'd get the bugger and brought the DW40 out and sprayed those hinges. The poor kid's lost now! That'll teach him to mess with me. In the meantime, if I find something that works on those knees I'll be sure to let you know!


22 comments:

  1. Haha! That's a great little ad. I thought she was going to stick her knee out for him to oil too.
    How nice that you got to see Stan! Do you think he has a little crush on you? Or a large crush? Do you think he has another family in Nigeria? I am so nosy. Still- one wonders.
    Andre needs a hobby. Something other than annoying his mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I don't think Stan has a crush on me but we always got along well. If I made cakes I would take some up to his shop to have with his lunch. And my lovely Dutchman used to love to go up there too and they would get to discussing Nigeria (the Dutchman used to work for the IMF) and rugby so they were both happy! As for whether he has someone in Nigeria I wouldn't know, but he and his wife have always been very independent of each other. Apart from annoying me, André is coping pretty well in the pandemic but like everyone he misses having the freedom to come and go as he pleases!

      Delete
  2. That's how I've been feeling lately after I've been sitting in the recliner a bit. I go to get up and the first 10 steps or so I'm like a 90 year old lady! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me it's "frozen ankle syndrome" when I first get out of bed. Damn, when did I get so old?

      Delete
  3. Lots of times I wish I had made it to the shower earlier in the day. Well at least in pre-pandemic days. Absolutely no one just stops by anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to sit and read the news and "potter" for a few hours before I get in the shower - but it's usually not a good thing, especially when the doorbell goes unexpectedly!

      Delete
  4. The squeaky door gets the grease! That was funny! I probably would have hit him with a brick, so you are much nicer that I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lockdown humour is very over-rated personally!

      Delete
  5. I use daily stretching (usually Pilates) for my joints, but now you’ve got me wondering if the human equivalent of oil on the door might be more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more I'm beginning to think that daily yoga/stretching is going to be the way to go. I must admit I hadn't given much thought to buttering my ankles before though!

      Delete
  6. Made me smile as I woke up with a stiff back this morning. Just when I planned to smarted up a bit and stop slobbing around, too, another day maybe. We had a neighbour call by on Sunday, we were dressed but the breakfast pots were still on full display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck it's now 1 p.m. and I'm just about to get in the shower. Gotta do better, I think!

      Delete
  7. When my knees are noisy, it sounds like there is a frog croaking nearby. My husband thought it was a frog, the first time I pointed the noise out. He did not believe it was my knees. But more exercise has reduced the noise. Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started walking, if I put in longer distances, my knees would ache. Eventually it got better the more I walked - but losing some weight wouldn't do any harm either!

      Delete
  8. What doesn't creek these days! I often start my work day, the take a quick shower after my husband leaves if it works on my schedule. I tend to just whip my hair in a twist anyway, so doesn't matter if damp on MS teams calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I wonder how many colleagues have been caught out by zoom meetings. I always know when André has a meeting because he's in the shower and properly dressed first thing. I think this lockdown/pandemic is doing us no favours is it!

      Delete
  9. I wish I could walk more, just a matter of running out of energy right now. I think the less you move the more you freeze up so yoga is probably the answer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very valid reason for not walking lately. Me? Nah, not so much! I think the hardest part is getting going again, but once you're in our stride it most definitely helps!

      Delete
  10. Isn't it always the way, the day you get all gussied up no-one appears and when you're at your slobbiest everybody and his dog come by! That said, I had some fantastic luck one day during first lockdown when I was fed up slobbing about in my joggies and went out to walk the dog all dressed up in a skirt, my new fancy bright pink tights etc feeling very pleased with myself, turned a corner and almost walked into a lady I cannot stand but who always stop to talk to me like we were good friends! There is a story behind this but I won't go into that just now but suffice it to say I've never been so glad in my life I wasn't my usual slobby self that day!!
    I should probably do some pilates or yoga as I'm stiff as a board in the mornings and sometimes after sitting too long but thinking about doing it isn't quite enough is it?
    I laughed at Andre tricks to 'annoy' you! Nice you got the last laugh though not to mention getting the door fixed at the same time! Win win. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd guess we're all (mostly) the same aren't we. Lockdown doesn't bring out the best in fashion sense. Maybe if I lived with someone (André does't count) it would be different but .... I do remember going grocery shopping with my mom when I was about 12, I guess, and we bumped into my best friend and her mom. For some reason mom was "all dressed up" that day and I was so proud because my friend's mom just looked tired and old. (She didn't have the easiest life in that family I must admit, and I was just a judgemental 12 year old but what can I say - I was proud). I also remember wanting to have a shot at making chocolate fondants one Saturday (dead easy, as it turns out) and you put them in the fridge overnight before cooking so that the inside remains runny. Well the next day friends of my husband stopped by unexpectedly so we invited them to eat with us. I pulled out the chocolate fondants as though I used to whip them up all the time between cups of tea. To say I walked on water as far as the husband was concerned that day would be an understatement! And I know what you mean about exercise. I was forever joining the gym to lose some weight - then someone told me you actually had to go there!

      Delete
  11. I am always so surprised how much more limber I am at the end of a yoga session than at the beginning. Does that encourage me to do lots of yoga though? No, not really.. so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Jo. I never want to go to class - and then I end up floating out of there at the end of the session. If someone could bottle willpower or motivation they'd make a fortune wouldn't they!

      Delete