The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Friday 5 May 2023

Exhausted!

I haven't even finished up writing about my trip to Holland (the Netherlands!!!) and yet this week has been full on. My ex didn't come over in March for Charlie's second birthday but decided to come now (or this weekend as I thought) - which actually makes more sense. Anyway he turned up last weekend with his niece and her new husband as they are heading down to Italy for a wedding next week. So, I got to see Leslie (and hubbie Jake) for the first time in about 20 years and it has been a real treat - they are so nice! They're all staying with AndrĂ© but Jordan and Jen took the week off and we've been tootling around together. The weather has been glorious (although I think it's scheduled to pour down this weekend) and while we've done the usual tourist circuits we actually did a "new to me" trip to Chamonix yesterday, and took the cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi (basically next to the Mont Blanc). Many years ago we took the train up the Mont Blanc to a glacier called the Mer de Glace with my inlaws, but I had never been up to the Aiguille du Midi, even though it's only 40 minutes from home! Mind you it cost €73 per person so maybe that's why I hadn't done it before! Jake was very nervous about taking the cable car and Jen said no way, so she stayed home with Charlie, but the rest of us did it and it was wonderful! At the top you are at 3,842 metres (12,600 feet) and you feel like you are drunk (we weren't!!!)! Well actually we alternated between light-headed and sick to the stomach, and then walking through the tunnels to get to the viewing points we all felt like we were drunk!!! Jake wouldn't go near the edge as he really hates heights, but kudos to him for doing the cable car anyway. We told him we'd take a picture of him doing a thumbs up and photoshop him into all the pictures. It's been fine with my ex. I had them all over to dinner last night and cooked way too much but it was a nice evening anyway. When they left my ex hugged me for so long it was getting embarrassing! Anyway, I'm off over to Jordan and Jen's for fondue now and hope normal service will be resumed shortly!

At Cascade de Rouget waterfall!

Leslie and Jake at the Horseshoe Gorge!








We would have done this (it's called stepping into
the void) but the wait was too long!

Looking down over Chamonix!

Chamonix! It was very quiet (between
seasons I guess)!

Jordan actually worked on the
building to the right (it's the town hall)!

10 comments:

  1. Honestly! I would love to ride up the cable car. I've never been in one, and I think that would be very exciting. I have no problem with heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very expensive but definitely worth it, although it was nice not to feel sick when we got down!

      Delete
  2. What a week! Glad to hear that you and the ex are at some sort of peace.
    Your little guy is growing so fast and he's adorable.
    And oh- that scenery. What beauty you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really nice seeing Leslie and her new husband. They are a delight and yes, things have been fine with my ex (although I'm still glad he lives in the US). What's nice though is that I get to see both my kids too and Charlie of course. He's growing so quickly and he and I have a blast together!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could do this as I am afraid of heights. It looks like you had a wonderful time. the pictures are awesome. Glad things were peaceful between you and your ex. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in many cablecars but the anticipation is worse than the actual trip (well, it wasn't windy)! But it has been nice seeing Leslie and her husband. She was "just a nipper" last I saw her!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures, and I am glad to see you are able to see folks you have not seen in a while! I would love the ride up and down - I did one in British Columbia and I was blown away, felt like I was in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I'm not a great fan of cablecars but there was no wind and the view was fabulous, despite us all feeling sick!

      Delete
  5. What glorious blue sky- perfect conditions for the visitors to appreciate the beauty of your locality. Good job they weren’t heading to Yorkshire. We had an unexpected summery day yesterday but otherwise are getting weather on a scale of dank to pouring down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is pretty par for the course over here. Wet one day and then beautiful the next, but Leslie and Jake have been very lucky! I saw the rain for the coronation and thought it was sad but what can you do about it. To be honest, the dreadful British weather was the reason I left Britain in the first place!

      Delete