The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Tuesday 16 May 2023

Inspired!

It's been a tiring few days yet again. There've been a few fun things and few not so fun things going on (which I may or may not write about later), suffice it to say my ex is still in town. Not that he has done anything untoward but I was "moithering" again last night and didn't get to sleep until around 3 a.m.! Maybe I'll write what's bothering me down another time to get those thoughts out of my head! We'll see!

On the fun side, we all got together again at Jordan and Jen's for dinner (easier that way for Charlie) and when Charlie saw me he came running over saying "Nanny camion" and took me to see his blue truck. So I cooed appreciatively over it for a while and went to sit down, but he wasn't having any of it, grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the blue truck again. Well this happened a couple more times and I finally realized that apparently I was supposed to get on the blue truck and chase him on his red truck!!!!! Of course if I'd sat on that thing I'd be at the hospital right now having broken pieces of plastic removed from my backside, but as he was so insistent I ended up "chasing" him crouching as low as my legs and bum would allow. Ha, who says those gym sessions aren't working!

After that, since Jen had taught him where his "nombril" (belly button) is, I asked him where his "nombril" was and he pulled up his shirt and pointed to it. At which point I pressed it and went "beep, beep" - which of course he thought was hysterical. It's my own fault, I know, because I bet you can imagine what happened next. Yep he came over and lifted my shirt looking for my "nombril"! Thankfully I had an undershirt on but at this point all dignity gets thrown to the wind and he did indeed get to see if my nombril also went "beep beep"! In my defence I would add that we hadn't started eating yet! Of course then everyone else had to be checked out too and apparently both papa and uncle's belly buttons also worked, although nobody else's did!

Anyway, as I was saying, I couldn't sleep again last night but just as I was finally about to drop off a bloody fly went buzzing right past my nose. And again, and then again, so I knew in the end I'd have to get up and try to "encourage" Mr. Fly to go into the TV room. So I open the bedroom door, put the light on in the TV room trying to be as inconspicuous as possible and wait for him to make his escape - which he does and I slam the door shut! Trouble was, I then needed to turn the light off in the TV room so I ever so carefully opened the door, reached my hand up to the switch - and the bloody fly was back in the bedroom again!!! Damn! 

After a few unsuccessful attempts, my next brainwave was to ever so nonchalantly open the bedroom window in case Mr. Fly needed a breath of fresh air. Rather naively I thought Mr. Indoor Fly would then fly out, but in fact Mr. Outdoor Fly came in for a chinwag with his cousin! Even I had to laugh at this point because it put me in mind of the sketch where comedy genius Tim Conway plays the exhausted salesman trying to get some rest and being tormented by a fly (you can see it here)! Pure genius! In the end I don't know what happened to the Fly brothers because I reckon at that point I was so exhausted I must have passed out!

In other news, remember the card group I joined where the average age was 97? Well we had a nice little day out today!



And finally, I've got quite a bit of stuff in the fridge that needs using up as I'm tired of wasting food. So I was looking online to see what I might do with potatoes, ham and Brie when all of a sudden the clouds parted, a rainbow formed and I do believe I heard angelic voices singing "tartiflette"! How did I not think of that before? Tartiflette - the food of the gods! Now admittedly the traditional recipe uses lardons (I had ham) and a local cheese called Reblochon (I had Brie), but I kinda threw it all together, stuck it in the oven and even if I say so myself, tonight's dinner was simply inspired!

But of course mine looked nothing like this!




14 comments:

  1. I love when kiddos start to identify their body parts, haha! So adorable. I hope the not so fun stuff goes away quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, who knew a belly button could sing! As for the other stuff, I know exactly what it is and I think I'm going to write it out because otherwise it keeps going round and round in my head!

      Delete
  2. The Old Men were funny. Usually, when I wake up that late, I just stay up a bit and then take a nap the next afternoon. It works fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got up again to read at 4 a.m. but I can get by on 3-4 hours sleep anyway, though not for long. I know it'll get back to even keel soon though. And I enjoyed that video so much too, all the more so since it really did put me in mind of that card game group!

      Delete
  3. I know you enjoy every minute you get to spend with Charlie. He is adorable.
    Recipes are merely suggestions for substituting whatever is on hand for what is called for and unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to play with us kids all the time too (much to the annoyance of my mom I imagine - getting us all worked up!) and we all inherited that from him (thank God, is all I can say). He really does pay it back though too of course! And you're absolutely right about recipes. I used to slavishly follow them but now, especially since it's only me, I kinda throw in what I've got, and this one was a gem!

      Delete
  4. I had never even heard of Tartiflette but after looking up the recipe, I would run out for the ingredients this very second if I didn't think it would kill us with its delicious rich cheesy, fatty goodness.
    Charlie is growing up for sure. Smart little man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pure stodge of course and a winter food. They tend to eat it here after skiing, with dried meat and green salad and it's delicious. I haven't skied for about 25 years but I reckon it still counts for après-ski don't you?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for teaching me a new word. Never heard of "moither" before. Had to look it up and now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I had to think if it really existed or if it was just something we used at home. So now we both know!

      Delete
  6. Loved your entertaining description of events and when I got to the fly brothers, you had me chuckling aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a weird sense of humour, so even though I was bone tired, the Tim Conway sketch sprung into my mind and even I had to laugh (briefly)!

      Delete
  7. I love how silly you are with Charlie. Kids need that. Life will be serious for them soon enough. Thank you for teaching me a new word. Yes, I had to look it up. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's used to me being silly now and certainly goes along with it. But you're right, let kids be kids. They've got plenty of years ahead to be adults right!

      Delete