The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Thursday 25 November 2021

Guess what!

Remember my saying a couple of posts ago how I'd spent a few days helping out with Charlie when he was cranky as hell and Jen was exhausted? Well I was cried on, dribbled on, puked on and pooped on but eventually we got there, although not before Jen had taken him to the doctor's who confirmed rhino-pharangitis (or whatever that is in English). Jen kept blasting saline solution up his nose (much to his disgust), thereby managing to prevent him from getting gunk on his chest and in about four days he was over it. Well Sunday night I got a message from Jen to say that they'd just received notification from the crèche saying they would be closed this week as one of the babies in Charlie's group has covid! Needless to say Jordan, Jen and the babe got tested Monday morning and all three of them came up positive! So it was off to the test centre for me and guess what - I showed up positive too (and Jen's mom, as it turns out). So yeah, there you have it, all five of us got covid via Charlie/the crèche, all the while thinking we had just contracted colds! But I'm happy to say, it's been perfectly fine. Seriously, in all our cases, it has been nothing to write home about! While I know that's not the case for many people, we've just sailed through with what I can only describe as a seasonal cold!

I've mentioned before that I don't really mix anyway so I've never been too worried about catching it, but then of course I'd never be in circumstances where I'd be that close to anyone other than the babe! Thankfully, other than going between their house and my house I didn't go anywhere last week so I never unknowingly infected anyone else either. It started with a very low-grade, all-encompassing headache, which I put down to having my bedroom too hot, and then a bunged up nose and that was it for the duration! Oh I had a bit of an ache in the back, which I put down to not going to yoga for three weeks and, in retrospect, I realize I was probably tireder than usual and had lost my appetite, but it was nothing to make me suspect covid! When I told my sister her first reaction was "well if you'd got the jab you probably wouldn't have caught it" (nope, I don't believe even a jabbed individual would be safe getting vomited on by an infected person), and then she tried "well it wouldn't have been so bad" (what, less bad than a bunged up nose?), so in the end I told her to let it be. She made her choice, I made mine and I'm good with it - but that still doesn't explain how my triple-jabbed neighbours have all come down with covid either does it (nothing to do with me, thankfully). So there you have it, hopefully one and done as far as we are concerned! It also means we will all now get the ubiquitous pass sanitaire, which is only available to people who have been triple-jabbed or who have recovered from covid! It won't make an awful lot of difference to my life anyway as I have no intention of going out night-clubbing, but it will be nice to be able to sit on a café terrace for a coffee, something we unjabbed have been banned from doing for the past however many months!

I have to say that the French securité sociale (the medical system) kicked in very quickly and efficiently after my positive test as I was bombarded with messages telling me what to do and asking if I needed financial help, medical help, assistance with my living arrangements or food shopping and so on (all of which was a "no thank you", of course), and then today I got a call asking for more details of my movements and who I had had contact with. I told the young woman that I was fine and that she didn't need to contact Jordan and Jen as we were all aware and had all tested positive, but she told me she had to call them for recording purposes so that was fine too!

Now while I may not have chosen to get the jab, I have been following quite a few online doctors/experts who have been giving advice on what to do if you get sick. Here I have to say Dr. Eric Berg is just wonderful (although not the only one) and as each doctor gave their recommendations I looked up the product they were recommending and put it into my online Amazon basket. Not that I ordered everything of course, but I accumulated what I thought were the most helpful videos/recommendations and watched how you go about making sure you can clear mucus from your airways (not that it happened in my case anyway) and so on. But the most common recommendations seemed to be for Vitamin C, D3, Zinc, K2, Quercetin, Glutathion and NAC (N-acetyl-L-cystein), which, I understand is kept on hand by many doctors in the case, most commonly of Tylenol and/or alcohol poisoning. Basically it's a potent anti-oxidant and detox (or at least that's my understanding). So a few weeks ago I dumped everything out of my Amazon basket except those things and luckily for me I had them all on hand when covid caught me out and started taking them as soon as I was confirmed. Maybe they helped, maybe they didn't, but I have to say none of us have been any sicker than a regular cold, except that it maybe lasted a bit longer than a seasonal cold would by a couple of days!

Anyway, we're all over it now and can come out of self-isolation as from tomorrow. Now André's peeved because he said if he realized that was all it was going to be he would rather have caught it and got it over with, but then he would throw a wobbly if he ever thought Charlie was going to spit up on him so maybe he'll never catch it!

While I didn't need anything (another reason I'm eternally grateful that I keep a well-stocked pantry), André (who has repeatedly tested negative) did a bit of running around for Jordan and Jen. He was telling me that he stopped in at the pharmacy for them the other day and was flirting up a storm with a pretty assistant when Jordan called him and asked him to buy some diarrhea medication (I guess that was one of Jordan's side effects) - which kinda put the kibosh on André's flirting!

Oh, another bit of juicy news is that France's vile Prime-Minister, Jean Castex, has just tested positive for covid also! This is the guy who has been banging the gavel about how we needed to be strict about obeying the guidelines and if we didn't there would be stiff penalties to pay. The same Jean Castex who categorically stated in July that if you were double-vaxed it was impossible to catch or transmit covid (WRONG), so the guy is either lying about his vaccine status (which is what I believe) or he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to listening to medical advice. More to the point, Mr. "We all have to follow the guidelines or there will be consequences" was filmed at a recent Mayor's Congress fraternizing with mayors from all over France, not wearing a mask and shaking hands with everyone! He then travelled to Brussels where he met his Belgian counterpart just one day before being declared covid-positive and the French media are having a field day!

Castex and the French Minister of the Interior at the
recent Mayors' Congress!

When questioned about this behaviour, Gabriel Attal, France's chihuahua in chief official spokesman said it was just "a human lapse of judgement". Such "human lapse of judgement" would get you or I a €135 fine but then I suppose the rules only apply to the little people, don't they! Do as I say, not as I do!

And finally, around lunchtime there was a knock at my door so I leaned out my window and told the elderly gent that I wouldn't open my door as I had covid but could I help him. Turns out he was from our village Mairie bringing Christmas baskets to all the "elderly" people in the village (and yeah, he'd got the wrong address - he was looking for Mme Mugnier). Normally they have a Christmas lunch for everyone in the village over the age of 65 and since it was cancelled yet again this year they were distributing hampers instead. But I thought it was sweet of him to stop back a couple of minutes later and ask if I needed any help. I don't, of course, but it was nice to know someone cared enough to ask! So stay safe everyone and happy Thanksgiving to my friends in the U.S.!


21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you didn't have a worse case of "the plague." A 45-year-old lady in our area whose religion refuses vaccination just died from it, but the rest of her very large family (10 children) and husband all got it and are okay at this point.
    My sister-in-law who is a nurse said that people coming to the hospital for other reasons, and feeling fine, are still tested for covid and when the tests show positive, their lungs are x-rayed and what is being seen in the lungs is frightening. I don't know how they can feel fine when the sight of their lungs scares the health workers, but ... there you have it.
    We are all -- doctors, scientists, and researchers too -- still learning about this thing.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think comorbodities play a huge role of course, plus how much viral load you were exposed to and so on - and in the end maybe it's just a case of the luck of the draw! Some people sail through it and others die from it - but then that's the case with the vaccine too isn't it, so I guess in the end we all have to make our own decisions!

      Delete
    2. I won’t get into the big jab debate as it won’t matter but on Thanksgiving I was talking to my daughter on her way over to her in-laws. She said she had to pull over for few minutes to put her makeup on because she’d been crying the whole way there. About 45 minute drive. She’d worked the night shift on the Covid unit. She’s a RN and just started this past month. The hospital opened 4 units more and they’re using about 170 travel nurse to try and keep staffing. She says “I don’t know how the medical staff can be doing this for two years”! So I guess that says it all.

      Delete
    3. The weird thing is, while I know a few people who have had it I don't know anyone who has been hospitalized with it. My friend is a nurse and said that they are getting a few cases (not in ICU) and after a few days on oxygen they are able to release them. I follow the figures in this State and we're not even getting one death a week! Maybe more in the big urban areas but in Haute Savoie not a bit of it!

      Delete
    4. We’re in Minnesota with I believe last week were the number one state in the US for Covid. Not the thing you want to be one in!

      Delete
    5. You're right, who would want to hold that record. Take care and I hope you stay safe!

      Delete
    6. With privacy standards my daughter does have much information regarding other units (rightfully so) but they get a daily death notice of just that hospital which she had mentioned was 8 the other day.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting how it effects everybody differently, my brother got what he thought was a bad cold, his wife ended up with the pneumonia that can come with it. Keep in mind, your immunity will last about 7 months. Oh, and it's a big fallacy that vaccinated people can not infect others, we can, that's why Home Depot has us all wearing masks at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people can react very differently of course, but I felt leading a more isolated life like I do I wasn't overly at risk. But then again, it never really occurred to me that I might get it from Charlie either and all those "bodily fluids". Still, what's done is done, I'm glad I've had it and I'm glad to have some immunity now, however long it lasts. And oh I know vaccinated people can catch and transmit it - which is why that statement from the French PM was so bloody stupid (you can tell I don't like him can't you)!

      Delete
  3. I am glad none of you got too sick with it. It affects everybody differently and I think it is also the amount of the virus you come to contact with. In some cases, one's own immune system can handle the amount of virus contracted. Enjoy your immunity now. I am allergic, overweight, I have high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes and I managed to get pneumonia three times in my life. I am sure if I get it, I will be hooked to a ventilator and possibly die. I know that, the despite the vaccine, I can still get very sick. I felt I had no choice but, to get the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always felt that to take the vaccine (or otherwise) should be a personal choice, all the more so since these vaccines are still very much in the experimental stages. In any case, since I had such a violent reaction to the Hep B vaccine years ago which put me in hospital, it was pretty clear cut to me that I wasn't going to take it. But I'm also lucky in that while I could do with losing some weight, I have no comorbidities and I absolutely understand that others feel safer taking it and wish everyone well. What this bloody vaccine mandate has done, unfortunately, is divide people and play them off against each other, and that, in itself, is sad! I reckon I got quite a large viral load because I had the babe in my arms for hours getting dribbled on and of course there is no way I would ever get that close to ANYONE else, so I guess it was just sod's law. That being said, yes we were all lucky to have it so easy and I know that isn't the case for everyone, so fingers crossed that you never come into contact with the virus and we can all get to the other side of this nightmare intact!

      Delete
  4. I'm relieved for you all that you didn't get very sick. My sister is not well at all. It sure is the most puzzling virus. I won't fight about the vaccine. I'll have to trust that those choosing not to get vaccinated, will also choose like you and be careful and cautious with your interactions. Even with three dow s now, I wear mask shopping, office, and when I'm near people that I don't know are or are not. Take care and I hope you all stay well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that your sister is not well (I didn't realize she had tested positive actually). I don't know if you care to tell her but NAC was recommended over and over again by the online doctors as being VERY helpful). I hope she gets better soon! Over here masks have ALWAYS been mandatory in indoor spaces anyway - we just never took them off - and I have naturally been cautious around other people anyway, so I think if it hadn't been for the babe contracting it I might have got away with it. But it is what it is and I'm just glad it actually took me by surprise and everything was ok for all of us. Fingers crossed for your sister!

      Delete
  5. I nearly stopped after reading this:
    "I was cried on, dribbled on, puked on and pooped on"
    ... because there's only so much I can take!
    Kidding.
    Hope you're all doing fine.
    We, too, have sort of stayed away from crowds and from people we don't know, and those we do know who remain unvaxxed. That may be the only way out of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really chosen to avoid people because of covid, it's just what I'm happier doing anyway (maybe I'm just an anti-social old cow) but I don't like crowds and as I've said before I'm never happier than out walking in the mountains, so no, I don't really mix. And I guess I didn't really see it coming from Charlie but then he is the only person I know that I kiss and hug to within an inch of his life so yeah, the joke was on me!

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately I have to keep reminding my elderly Mum that the people she has to be most wary of on the COVID front are her next door neighbours’ two under-5’s. Locally, it has become a pandemic of nurseries and primary schools that we know about not because of symptoms but the constant testing. So glad none of you were badly affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if it were other children I might not have caught it because while I love kids I'm not hugging and kissing them like I am Charlie of course! But I think you're right to insist your mom be wary of the littles because they would seem to be the silent carriers - although thankfully they don't seem to get too ill themselves! As for me, I'm right as rain now and glad it took me by surprise before I could actually worry about it!

      Delete
  7. Dang, lady. I sure am glad that the virus didn't affect all of you too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we're all fine thanks. I don't remember the last time I even had a cold so it was a bit annoying to catch covid but nothing more serious than that. We were allowed out of self-isolation on Friday but I will give it another week anyway staying away from people just to be sure. I did go for a walk in the woods yesterday as it has just started to snow and it was great to get fresh air, but other than that, I'll be at home. I still think if it hadn't been Charlie I wouldn't have caught it because, as I say, I don't mix, but then you won't escape it with a babe in your arms will you. Now I'm just happy to have had it and can hopefully ride out the rest of this nightmare with my own antibodies!

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you did not feel too bad, and that all affected were a-ok! My brother had it around Easter, before he was vaccinated and luckily he just lost his sense of taste. I am vaccinated but it is a personal choice, I have to respect that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still tired and don't have much of an appetite but thankfully that seems to be the extent of it. As I mentioned above, masks are still mandatory here and of course we still have the vaccine passport so I guess we have to keep doing what we've been doing and hope for the best!

      Delete