The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Sunday 4 April 2021

Here we are again!

As of Saturday at 19h the whole of France has been put back into lockdown. Not as severe as the first two we endured, but lockdown nevertheless. All non-essential shops are to shut again, I'm not quite sure what's going on with schools/universities as I don't pay much attention to that, the 7 p.m. curfew is being maintained and people are being required to remain within 10 km of their homes unless there are mitigating circumstances and they have the required attestation with them. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to get on with it won't we. At least it's not "one hour to exercise per day within 1 km from home and with a permission slip" again, so I guess that's a positive. It strikes me that countries impose restrictions/lockdowns, the numbers go down and then as soon as they start easing out of lockdown the numbers start shooting back up again. I guess I'm just curious to see how many "waves" there are going to be before we get to the end of this nightmare!

The vaccine situation in France is woefully poor, and I'm not sure whether it's EU-cock-up related or for some other reason, but either way, they are way behind other countries in getting people vaccinated. Just out of curiosity I went on the government's website to do a "simulation" of when I could expect to get vaccinated and by the time I got to the end of the simulation, the site basically burst out laughing and said "see you next autumn sometime". I can't say I'm bothered one way or the other. If I have to stay home then so be it - that really doesn't bother me too much - and when the time comes that a vaccine is available for me, well then I'll take it. There's not much else I can do anyway is there!

When I went shopping the other day I noticed that some of the supermarket shelves were emptier than they had been, but I'm pretty sure it's not panic buying. I mean, everyone knows now that the stores are staying open and there is no reason to over-stock, so I was wondering if it was linked to the backlog of cargo ships stuck in the Suez Canal. Maybe - who knows - but if so, it would kinda show just how dependent we in the west have become on goods from Asia wouldn't it!

So with another lockdown ahead of me for the next month, I've been looking through my cookbooks and trying out new recipes. I've also decided that however far off my interview for French citizenship might be, now would be a good time to spend 30 minutes a night going through the potential background questions I could be asked if I ever get a date for my interview. A "baffle them with my knowledge" kinda thing! Of course I have the luxury of not worrying about money because I'm retired, and both my kids and Jen are also pretty safe, and I realize that is not the case for so many people. It got me thinking, though, back to my trip to Rhodes with Steve a few years ago and how we used to chat to the waiter at our hotel every day. He worked in the tourist industry during the summer months and as a fisherman during the winter months and he told us how the cost of the licence to sell his catch at Lindos (beautiful place) had doubled overnight, and while he could maintain this work schedule for the time being as he was still young, he didn't know how he was going to manage as he got older. Well seeing how the tourist spots have been hit by the travel bans, I was wondering what had become of him and his family. They and so many others will surely be having a difficult time, which brings home to me just how lucky I am!

I've also been continuing to watch Grace and Frankie and have to admit I'm liking it more than I originally thought I would. It was hard to stick with at the beginning as I thought it was so contrived, but it's definitely improved over time, so thank you to those who told me to hang in there!

With spring blossoming here my allergies are starting up again and even though they're not too severe it's bloody annoying when my left eye (always my left eye) itches like hell and swells up like a gargoyle for about an hour. It happened to me the other Thursday when I was on my way to meet Biboo for the first time (I guess he'll have to grow into the name Charlie because at the moment it's still Biboo or Munchkin). Oh man is he sweet, but I hate to think what he thought meeting Grandma Redeye for the first time! I actually don't remember the last time I held such a tiny baby - you know where their bum and back fit into the palm of your hand - but it surely was precious. With the new 10 km travel limit I won't be able to go to visit him for a month as they live 30 km away, but as Jen said, they make exceptions for child care, so I can use that reasoning a couple of times with me looking after babe so they can go out and do their running around without taking him along. Sounds good to me!

I did finally get round to meeting up with Marysette from sewing club on Tuesday and we managed an 11 km walk along the Arve river, which was a new one to me. It was a nice flat walk but I somehow managed to burn my right arm as it was so hot (I must walk with a list if I only managed to burn the right arm, I reckon). Then on Friday my friend came over and we did a 12 km walk into Cluses again and sat on a bench in town to have a picnic lunch, and yet again he loved it (I can see I'm going to be seeing more of him)! And then yesterday Isabelle, my neighbour, asked if I wanted to take advantage of our last day of "freedom" to go back to Passy for a walk, and while it wasn't what I had planned I'm so glad I did. It was pretty cold and the wind was howling but it was so, so pretty. There were a few people wind- and kite-surfing, and even one (fool)hardy (mad?) soul swimming! Not for me but why not? I'm so glad she suggested it as I got in another 12 km walk which was so invigorating!

The lake at Passy yesterday!


When we got back Isabelle was bemoaning the fact that we'll be limited to 10 km from home for the next month, so I took her round to my back garden and pointed out that Cou (one of the mountains you can see from my back garden) was well within 10 km from here and the hike up to the Chalet de Balme could easily be our next outing. I hiked up there many years ago in about 45 minutes but I reckon I'd be looking at about two hours now, what with me being older and fatter but who knows. If you don't try you'll never know, will you!

Cou (as seen from my terrace)!

The chalet at Balme!

18 comments:

  1. We are scheduled for vaccines in a couple of weeks. And the second one a few weeks after. The roll-out here is actually pretty good now that actual adults are in charge.
    But with so many states, mostly GQP ones, easing mask rules and opening everything up we are once again failing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have done the opposite in France. Strict-ish lockdowns and people seem to be pretty compliant with masking up and sanitizing their hands - and then they've screwed up so badly with getting vaccines out to the population. I'm glad you're getting yours though. I honestly have no idea when I will be eligible!

      Delete
  2. It doesn't seem to be only France, Europe in general has fallen behind, mostly, I think, because they opted for the Astra-Zeneca vaccine and there are so many issues with it. We have bare spots on our grocery shelves over here for over a year now. For us it seems to be a distribution thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not just France - it seems to be linked to the cat fight between the EU and Britain, but like I say, there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point worrying. When they talk about introducing a "vaccine passport" I guess that means for "events" and access to certain places, but I honestly don't see how they can do that when they can't offer people the vaccine in the first place. As for the supermarkets, I could still get everything I wanted (more or less) but it did strike me that the shelves were emptier and I agree, I think it's more a distribution thing than panic buying!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for the surge. We're going up again as well, but latest is there will be enough vaccine and distribution for all over 16 by end of May, with any lingering 2nd doses in June in time for the July 4th Holiday. Of course it's being politicized instead of people just still taking precautions. I'm glad you'll get to see the little man a bit. He really is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went on the website they are vaccinating the 70-75 age group right now, and people over 50 with comorbidities - that's how far behind they are. Still, if they keep plugging away at it I understand that having 70% of the population vaccinated is a good target for "herd immunity" - I just don't appear to be part of the herd as yet!

      Delete
  4. We're locked down for the next 30 days. John got his vaccine last week and I am scheduled on Tuesday. Lockdowns here are pretty easy I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, and thank you for stopping by my blog. Luckily for me I live in a house with a garden so I haven't found lockdowns difficult either, but I guess the same can't be said for families in apartments with young children can it. Hope your vaccine goes ok on Tuesday!

      Delete
  5. Feeling guilty that I just got my second dose yesterday. Even my 27 year old son has his first appointment scheduled for April 9th (Connecticut is now open to anyone over 16). I feel very lucky to live in a state that has handled the vaccine rollout so well.

    We last had company on March 8, 2020 - the same three couples will come back next month for our first get together. I'm nervous but we'll all be at least two weeks post second vaccines and hopefully the weather might be nice enough that we can be out on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be strange to have "post vaccine party" won't it! To be honest I haven't minded being around a few people as long as we've been able to have some space. In any case, like it or not, they're going to have to start opening the country/economy back up at some point as this can't go on forever. I'm just glad I'm not the one having to make the decisions. Still, I guess that's what they get paid for isn't it!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I fear life from now on is going to be a never ending series of lockdowns with half needing booster shots before the first vaccinations are complete or frustration sets in because even as our restrictions ease slightly there’s so much we are still not allowed to do. However, blue sky days ( we have one today) always lift the spirits, though I won’t be spending mine windsurfing on a lake ...brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I don't see a final "end" to these lockdowns/restrictions at all, but being in spring certainly makes life easier (except for the red eye)!

      Delete
  7. Another lockdown - yikes! And Germany has curfew, too. I admit I've not been keeping up with it all (as my German friend said), as, I suppose, I'm just trying to keep up with everything going on here. Hard enough to do that! Had my first jab last week, next is scheduled for 12 June in Salisbury. Going to make a day of it as I've never been! Lucky that you've got such great walking opportunities within your 10k radius. That will surely help keep your mind clear and at least steady activity, if not a variety. My cousin mentioned Grace & Frankie when I saw her on Saturday, and I couldn't remember who had mentioned it previously - that was you! She's enjoying it as well. Good luck with your new lockdown - our non-essential shops are re-opening next Monday. Fingers crossed our staggered openings will work! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could keep up with the situation in the UK either because of all the different tiers. It's like here, we're so close to the Swiss border (where many people work), and the Italian border is only one hour away, that when they've closed borders we've had to look for the "exceptions" for people like us. Usually we've been able to go into Switzerland but not Italy. As for Frankie and Grace it's ok. So far I wouldn't rave about it but I am enjoying it, and I think Sam Waterston in particular (who plays Saul) is excellent!

      Delete
  8. We have another lockdown here in Ontario, but it won't do anything to stop the 3rd wave. Our provincial government has made a real mess of it all, so disappointing to see. I got my first shot, but now have to wait for my second, which has not been rebooked as of yet. I am glad you can see Biboo and have beautiful walks within 10km. And I looooooove Grace and Frankie!! So glad you're enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see who "got it right" regarding this pandemic won't it. So far (from what I can tell) only South Korea seem to be handling it well, but then they've been strict and the people seem to be very respectful of what they can and cannot do. But I agree, we're not out of the woods yet!

      Delete
  9. France does seem to be in a pickle right now. I wonder where we'll all be in a year? I seriously doubt that it will all be gone.
    I love your fitness dedication. You are quite a woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think we'll still be in this mess in a year's time, only (hopefully) not quite so severely, but who knows. As for my "dedication" - thanks for the show of support, but I'm not really. I do find walking is very good for blowing the cobwebs away though AND having signed up for the Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge has motivated me somewhat. Plus my dream was always to retire and explore, so now I'm retired if I don't explore now when will I? It's definitely good for the soul though!

      Delete