The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 5 April 2021

All good stuff!

Did anyone see the amazing pictures coming out of Cairo yesterday where they were moving the sarcophaguses (sarcophagi?) of 22 Egyptian pharoahs to a new museum? They made a huge show out of moving the bodies of 18 kings and four queens to their new resting places and oh man, would I have loved to have seen that! Birmingham, where I grew up, had the most amazing library (goes with being a big city I guess) and what to me, as a young girl, was the most fabulous natural history museum. Before I got my Saturday job and was forever working, my mom used to let me catch the bus into town and wander round the city. I would go with my friend, Joy, with a whole 50 pence (I know!!!!), 16p of which would go for bus fares and we would spend the rest of the day wandering round the museum, the library and then on to Birmingham's Bull Ring market where we'd wander round the "rag market", take a few naff photos in a booth and then catch the bus back home. But the highlight of my day was always the natural history museum, and the ancient Egyptian section in particular. They had at least one complete mummy (that I remember - there may have been more) and displays of the jewels and barrettes that the ladies would wear in their hair and all I wanted to do was pick them up and handle them - which I wasn't allowed to do of course. That would be like taking a bone out of the T-rex exhibit's leg I guess! I know that part of the Cairo show was intended to generate interest in Egypt as a tourist destination, but I swear if I could have flown to Cairo yesterday I would have done! It's only a few hours' flight after all (damn the coronavirus)!



The other day I had a call from my friend, Marilyn, who wanted to know what she could send as a gift for the Munchkin. I've mentioned her before but Marilyn (American) was married to Philippe (French) and lived in the house opposite when we moved into the house where I still live. Times moved on, Philippe was head-hunted and they moved to the States where, sadly, he became seriously ill and eventually died. Marilyn's daughter is now married and working in London and Marilyn moved to Ireland with her son when he was transferred to Cork for his job. Her son is now married and has a step-daughter but it has long been all their ambitions to move back to France which, since Marilyn also holds French citizenship, should not be a problem for her. Well we spoke on the phone today and her daughter-in-law found out her transfer request to France has been approved and they are looking to rent in Annecy, where Marilyn and Philippe already owned an apartment which they rented out. So the good news is that Marilyn will be moving back to France, into her own apartment in Annecy, hopefully sometime in the summer. I am so looking forward to it as we have been friends for over 30 years. Circumstances separated us for a good many years but our friendship always remained solid. So I guess as soon as she moves back we will be careening round France like a geriatric Thelma and Louise (but without the yucky ending)! As long as we don't look in the mirror I guess we can pretend we're both still 30 again! I can't wait!

And the even better news is that Jordan just sent me a message to ask if they could leave the Munchkin with me for a few hours on Wednesday afternoon as they have a few appointments in town. I asked if he was out of nappies already but it turns out he might be a bit slow. André said to tell them no because he'll get no work done (he is even more gaga about that kid than I am), but yay me, he's only a week old and I'm already getting to babysit. Does life get any better than that? I don't think so!

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Jen is a brave mama! Most new mums don't let the baby out of their sight for the first few weeks until they realise actually they need a break!! Nothing better in life than cuddles with your grandson! How wonderful for you to have your friend back nearby. Lets hope all your lockdowns finish so she can get moving and you can all meet up! Good times. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brave actually and you're exactly right - we cling on to the baby until we realize we need a break don't we!

      Delete
  2. I saw where they were moving the sarcophagi but didn't get to see any - looks like it must have been a big production. I've always found Egypt fascinating.

    The good thing about grandparent babysitting is that it only last a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex was actually stationed in Alexandria for two years before he came to Geneva and always wanted to go back to visit. Oddly enough, that was one of the few places that, at the time, I didn't feel comfortable visiting because of the security situation. My colleague and her husband went with their kids and she said they were the ONLY family at the pyramids amid really heavy security. Really great for them but terribly sad for the people working in the tourist industry!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how fun to have your friend move back. It does sound like you'll have a lot to do together. Enjoy that time with Biboo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be great to have Marilyn back. We're both now on our own (although her situation is more sad as Philippe was the love of her life), our kids are grown and here we'll be, back again in Haute Savoie ready to roll!

      Delete
  4. So happy for you (on both the friend front and the grandma front)! Just found out our oldest niece (and Goddaughter) is expecting a baby boy in September. Neither of my boys is married (30 and 27) but they both have girlfriends so there's hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With boys you've got more time of course so fingers crossed. Jordan will be 29 in May and they were definitely ready to have a baby. I thought André and Lily would too but things didn't quite work out that way. Still, who knows what's down the road for him either!

      Delete
  5. Oh how wonderful to have a best friend moving close by. My oldest friends are scattered around the country/world and sometimes I wish... and don’t get me started dreaming about grandbabies: my kids will lynch me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn and I went from being young mothers together (Jordan wasn't even born when we moved here) to now in our 60s, but I just KNOW we're going to have a great time together. She was very isolated in Cork (no car) and is so looking forward to moving back here!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Getting to babysit Biboo so early must be very exciting. They smell so good (not always but you know...Lol) Tell Andre, this is by far the best position to have. He can enjoy and spoil the nephew as much as he likes and noone can be cross with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already told André I'm putting the kitchen timer on as soon as he picks up that baby! Share and share alike!

      Delete
  7. So glad we found each other! We certainly do have a lot in common as you mentioned travel and favourite colour. Now we can add museums and long lost friends. I reconnected with my best friend in 2007 (thank you, Facebook). We have known each for over 50 years. AND then we took a girls' trip to London and Birmingham and wandered all those places you mentioned. It was her first trip to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some friends you can be apart from for decades and when you meet back up you kinda go "so, where were we?" and that's just lovely isn't it!

      Delete
  8. Those pharaohs and queens certainly had an impressive and dramatic moving day! I don't know why but there is nothing more fascinating and mind-boggling than the pyramids, the mummies- all of it! It's as if the grandeur and drama of it all is so fantastical that it has barely faded throughout the centuries.
    Hurray for friends who move back into your life!
    Have fun with that tiny Munchkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated with ancient history. Indeed my visit to Ephesus (Turkey) on my first solos trip was probably the most amazing of all my visits. I just can't get over how those civilizations were so advanced while at the same time (to quote Shirley Valentine) "we Brits were still ploughing up land with the arsebone of a dinosaur"!

      Delete
  9. I envy your closeness to the baby. You will get to be a physical part of his life which is just wonderful beyond words. I hope you get lots and lots of cuddle days, which is a win/win. Nothing is better than having someone watch your baby than a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how lucky I am Anne. To have both my kids living within 30 minutes of my home AND also now the Munchkin is just fantastic. My kids didn't have that when they were growing up, what with my ex's family being in the US and mine in the UK and while they are very close to both sides of the family they did miss out to a certain extent!

      Delete
  10. Wow, that Cairo show looks amazing. Let's hope all the newly moved kings and queens don't get annoyed by the move to their new digs! Enjoy your time with Biboo, I have yet to hold my latest niece (due to Covid etc) and I hope I can snuggle her by the summer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cairo does look spectacular doesn't it, but I'd never thought about the pharoahs maybe being annoyed at being moved. Too late now I guess - watch out for the plague of locusts? And I really feel for people who have not been able to see their family for so long - particularly those in care homes. This pandemic has been worse than a plague of locusts hasn't it!

      Delete
  11. How did babysitting and baby holding go?

    ReplyDelete