The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Wednesday 27 March 2024

After that ...!

It's been a few days since I last posted but things have been pretty hectic here. There's been some horrible news affecting a few people - thankfully not my immediate family, but people I care about nevertheless - so I didn't feel much like posting. I wanted to write about the rest of my trip to Thailand before I forgot it, though, because, as I've said before, I want this blog to serve as my online diary for later!

So, I can't even remember which island I'm on at the minute but as they're all very pretty I don't suppose it matters much, does it! Anyway, on this day - whichever one it happened to be - we didn't have much planned, other than a morning trip into town to wander round the local market. And that was when I realized I had a searing pain running down my left leg. I could just about manage to walk, but trying to get in and out of the tuk tuks was horrendous. I remember thinking "hell, I turned into a little old lady overnight" and while I am indeed a little old lady I've never really felt like one - that is, until now. In the end I went to the local pharmacy and as the lady spoke excellent English she felt pretty positive diagnosing sciatic pain due to my massage - something which can apparently be rather common if you're not lucky! Anyway, she gave me pain medication which - according to the others - is only available on prescription in England (I'd never heard of it) and told me to take one or two a day. So I limped around like a big baby for another four hours, tried a few yoga exercises when I got back to my room, decided I'd take the medication later that evening, fell asleep instead and wouldn't you know it the pain had completely gone by the next morning!!! I've never known not taking medication to work so quickly but I felt like a real fraud at breakfast the next day!

The restaurant at this hotel used a cute little "vanity caravan" as their bar, so since it was so dinky I asked the staff if I could take a photo of them in front of it.


C, the Welsh lady who I had become very friendly with, told me that she'd been sitting by the bar earlier that evening when a young woman came up, installed her phone camera and proceeded to take "influencer type" photos of herself in front of the van (and the staff) - complete with "trout pout" and "come hither" poses. She'd walk back to check the photo and when she didn't like it she started over and must have taken about 10 all told! Now I would be mortified doing something like that (C said she was trying not to laugh) but I guess it just shows our age doesn't it - well that and my Hopalong Cassidy act the day before!


In fact tonight I discovered a YouTuber who dissects some of these "influencers' videos" where they show off their perfect, jetset lifestyles and she was so funny pointing out how they faked it. I was talking to my friend this afternoon and telling her that there is at least one place in the US (although I imagine there are loads more) where they have a set designed to look like a private jet and for about $80 per half hour you can take all the photos that you want inside "your" private jet, followed by posing up a storm next to "your" Bentley (or whatever floats your boat)! And you know what, I would love to do that because I think it would be a hoot taking pictures of me with my gammy leg and flipflops inside my private jet!

While she was still sitting there a man came down to the beach with a monkey on his shoulder (beats a parrot and a peg leg, I guess), put a leash on the monkey and it shot up a tree and started throwing coconuts down!!!! How come I missed all the best bits then??? The staff were telling her that these men treat the monkeys well, of course, and since the monkey is only doing what comes naturally they would appear to have it well sussed!

As we were all chatting later that evening R (the oldest of our group at age 80) showed us a quick video he was able to snap of a "giant lizard" (although I'm sure David Attenborough wouldn't call it that) just outside the ladies toilets on the way back to the hotel. Man, you get some real creeps hanging around the ladies' loos don't you!

Video curtesy of R!

We were such a mixed bunch but all got along really well so someone mentioned setting up a retirement home in Thailand where we could all retire together (despite the 60 year disparity in age)!!! I think they had something along the lines of The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in mind! Could be fun!

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel!

Anyway, it's almost midnight here so I'm going to have to wrap this up soon. I have to admit it was nice to be able to keep a remote eye on my home through my new security cameras and while I might not have been able to stop a potential burglary, at least I could see what the weather was like - and be glad I was still in Thailand!

And finally, I recently watched a video by a US comedian who I hadn't heard of before. She was saying how her generation - Gen X - were the toughest ever. Now I'd probably dispute that but some of the things she was saying they, as children, just took for granted made them as tough as it comes - no helicopter parenting there! It was obviously designed to make the older generation laugh and it surely did - but not nearly as much as the comments!

God we used to fly off the end of that
thing straight onto concrete! And yes it
really was as steep as I remember it!


No comment!

We used penknives!

Those things were lethal!

Click clacks!


16 comments:

  1. We use to leave the house in the morning on weekends and didn't come home until the streetlights came on.
    Glad your sciatica problem resolved quickly. Just don't go breaking your coccyx....ask me how long THAT takes to resolve(the answer is forever!).
    Sounds like a fun trip so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the same - leave in the morning and come home when we knew dinner was ready - scabby knees and all! We were filthy most of the time but had great fun! And my sister was operated on her coccyx years ago so I know just a little of what you're talking about. Hope you're still doing well with your diet and getting better all the time!

      Delete
  2. Sending positive thoughts to you and those you care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly one was the death of my neighbour but the other situations, though extremely stressful, can hopefully be resolved!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, no need to remember one beach from another. Hot. Humid. Thai. Not like France or England. Good enough.

    I don’t get influencers. Are they all earning enough money to make faffing around with fake sets and pouts and filters and strange looks worth it? Or are they just hoping to earn enough money to make up for loss of self respect and any real contribution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Thailand but I must admit that since I do better in the cold, I really prefer the four seasons. As for the influencers - certainly those showing off in Dubai - I suspect many of them are more likely part of the oldest profession in the world. Look up Dubai Portapotties! The others, well I kinda blame the Kardashians' success, with everyone thinking they're cool or at least wanting to be rich like them - but they're selling a mirage and most of us could never attain that if we wanted to. Mind you, as one commentator said - "thank god for my boring 9 to 5 job. Who'd wanna be them"? I think she hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  4. It was so nice to see your photos of Thailand, doubt I'll ever get there now, but I can live vicariously:)

    I'd forgotten about those clackers. A blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you retiring soon? And I'm sure Thailand is closer to you than it was to me (although I may be way off on that one)! Never say never! And I'd forgotten about those clackers (that's what I was thinking we called them too). They were deadly weren't they!

      Delete
  5. How terrific that your pain was so fast to go! That could have ruined the rest of your vacation.
    I don't get the influencer thing. But then again, I am definitely not the target audience.
    I am convinced that every generation believes that they were the toughest. I just think that it's never easy to be a human growing up. We all have/had different challenges. And opportunities, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that pain disappeared just as mysteriously as it arrived too as given that we were constantly on the move I would have been the "weakest of the herd" and probably picked off first! And I agree that every generation has its challenges, but even my kids agree that having had the freedom to just roam until dinner time was just the best!

      Delete
  6. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I encountered that giant lizard while out walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect constipation wouldn't have been a problem for either of us!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear things have been a bit hectic. I hope everything works itself out. We have a few of the caravan's you pictured in our area also. They set up at different festivals, fairs, farmers markets, etc. They are just adorable and such fun to get a drink or bite to eat from. I do not miss lizards or iguanas or anything else like them. I always hated running into them. Loved hearing about your adventures in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the issues is that my neighbour died (the funeral was today) so that won't be resolved, but I'm hoping the others can be, although they're very tough! I love those little caravans too. In fact, I'd just discovered a new mani/pedi lady who was bringing her little caravan to our village, if you remember, and now she seems to have disappeared! Shame as she was good!

      Delete
  8. Travel is so mentally stimulating yet regardless it amazes me how quickly now I can forget some of the finer details like place names or how walking for hours and back pain can be synonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm enjoying writing this down - in order to be able to reminisce! Mind you, with most places in Thailand being called Koh something or other, it's hardly surprising we get mixed up, is it!

      Delete