The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Friday 15 March 2024

And the next day ...!

I've been home five days now and I'm finding it a bit weird that I'm still waking up around 5 a.m. and getting up around 6 a.m. (although long may it last). I go to bed around midnight as usual but surely jet lag should have worn off by now? Who knows, but in any case I'm quite enjoying it! After yoga on Monday I went grocery shopping and when I came back I decided to check my engine again. And wouldn't you know it but the bloody weasels had been back visiting my car while I was away - or at least that's what I'm gathering from the chunk of baguette I found where the two slices of brown bread were last time. I think I might make an appointment to get my snow tyres taken off soon (which would seem to be an absolute guarantee of more snow) and ask Ford what I can do about my visitors. I also ordered 1,300 litres of heating fuel and the guy said he'd be here sometime between 10 a.m and mid-day today - and crikey, didn't he show up at 10.01 a.m.!!!! Talk about efficient! Then today I met Jen and Charlie in Bonneville as I wanted to buy Charlie some new shoes for his birthday (he'll be in the States for his birthday) and afterwards we had a wander round the market and then stopped off in a restaurant to eat. Well just as we'd finished eating the power in the entire street went out so it must have been hell for the owners/waiters trying to keep up with heavy demand and no electricity. That being said, everyone starting singing "happy birthday to you" when everything went dark, so it was all taken in good part!

Anyhoo, I think I left off my last post where we'd just arrived in Koh Hai, apparently the least inhabited of the islands. The bungalows on the beach looked really nice, but in truth they needed a good bit of TLC as they were pretty run down. Kelly left a comment on my previous post and as I said to her, while the hotels are all perfectly fine (and often better than fine), on occasion they can be a bit shabby, and this was one of them. That being said, it was spotlessly clean and the shower was hot so beyond that I don't really care. I travelled with Explore.co.uk and like them very much - small groups and good service - but given how reasonably priced they are I think it would be foolish to expect 5-star hotels too. Also, as the name would suggest, these holidays move and so would not be suitable for anyone who didn't have a degree of stamina/mobility. Of course we always had young men to help us with our luggage but on occasion we'd have to drag it down the beach to the boat or down a bunch of steps so (a) it's essential to be somewhat mobile and (b) you learn pretty quick not to pack too much stuff (I'm getting better but it's still a work in progress)!

Our first afternoon on Koh Hai was free so a few of us went down to the beautiful beach (about 100 metres from our bungalows) and either swam or lazed around reading. As a side note here I am sooooo glad I took my kindle and have recently signed up for Audible as it was a great way to pass a few hours. I loaded up on sun screen and insect repellent and parked myself under a tree thinking I'd covered all bases, but apparently not, as I still managed to get somewhat sunburnt, although not terribly so! Still, lesson learned yet again - that sun is fierce!


There were a couple of small resorts along the beach and a few of us decided to eat at a local bar which seemed to be family run. The food was good, their kids were adorable and the barman fascinated me as I thought he looked just like Confucius with his long straggly beard!

Confucius!

I guess the reason for staying on this island was to be able to visit the Emerald Cave, which is located (I think) on the island of Koh Muk. The tiny beach you discover at the end of the cave was apparently discovered by locals who were out bird-nesting and was then used by smugglers to hide their ill gotten gains. In order to get to the beach you had to swim through an 80 metre long cave in the dark so I was having serious misgivings about this. Apparently we would need to snorkel (not gonna happen, I hate snorkelling) but there would be a rope through the cave that we could hang on to. Well neither of those proved to be true in that there was no rope (yikes) but it was possible to simply swim through the cave following our young guide with his head lamp. I wouldn't know the logistics of it, but several of us agreed it must surely be possible to put some form of lighting in there, but who knows. I almost chickened out but then I got mad and gave myself a stiff talking to. You know, "what the hell did you come all this way for if you're gonna wimp out?" kinda thing. Anyway, I did it and it really wasn't too bad, although I have to say that there being only 10 of us it must have been easier to manage everyone. About 10 minutes after we got to the beach groups of maybe 30 were coming in and I honestly don't know how they managed to keep track of everyone - maybe they were tied together - who knows. You know, one drowns they all drown kinda thing (a horrible thought I know, but it did cross my mind)!


Our group!

Looking straight up!

After that adventure, it was back to base camp for a couple of days of doing not much before catching the speedboat over to Koh Lanta to continue our trip!


17 comments:

  1. The Emerald Cave looks fascinating! I did bookmark Explore. I think they may be connected with other similar groups as I've found one with the same itinerary in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Explore very much and I think they are very reasonably priced. When I complain about the room at this resort it doesn't mean that the hotel wasn't nice - it's just that we didn't have the best rooms. Then again, if you want top of the range you have to pay more I guess!

      Delete
  2. OMG! Swimming through a cave, what if you're not a strong swimmer? Was the swim long? Looks absolutely amazing, a once in a lifetime experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm not a strong swimmer at all but once I got there I got mad at myself because I didn't want to miss out. We only had our guide's head lamp to follow but we went slowly and it was ok. 80 metres is near enough 80 yards but it go so much easier once we saw daylight! It sounds a lot scarier than it actually was!

      Delete
    2. That's so cool you pushed yourself to do that.

      Delete
  3. Is the tunnel totally submerged? Not my thing to swim under a tunnel to see another beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought it would be (hence us having to snorkel) but no, we had about a metre above our heads but of course we couldn't see anything. I honestly didn't think I would do it either but the anticipation was much worse than the actual event, and believe me when it comes to swimming I'm not brave. We could actually chat as we went through and stopped a couple of times to make sure we were all there!

      Delete
    2. Well I could manage that. But in the back of my mind would be the soccer team stuck in the tunnel.

      As to ferrets in your engine, that’s a worry.

      Delete
    3. I did think about that soccer team to be honest, but once at the beach we were in no danger at all!

      Delete
  4. I wonder if an American can book with that group? The solo trip groups I've seen are horrendously expensive. I took want clean and a good shower. I can tolerate work down a bit if price is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can book with them. It's a UK-based group which just means that the tours are in English and if they book your flights for you it would be from the UK. As far as my memory goes we had a lovely Canadian couple on our Sri Lanka trip as well as a South African (Miserable Pete). I've also been with Solos and Justyou.co.uk and they are definitely more expensive as the tour guide travels with you from the UK. Let me know if/where you're thinking about and who knows, we could have a glass of wine (or two) on a beach together. I know I said this might be my last long haul but ... I'm seriously thinking about India's Golden Triangle this time next year!

      Delete
  5. What an adventure! Maybe you could add a waterproof headlamp for your next adventure, just in case. I really enjoyed that post and your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I actually wrote on my "list of things to take" to add a headlamp for next time. I have one anyway, just didn't take it. It would have been useful, as you say!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you had a really nice time on this trip. Good for you on forcing yourself to be uncomfortable. I'm so glad it turned out to be a wonderful experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized not so long ago that I was starting to wimp out on things so figured I'd better start knocking that on the head or where would I end up? But yes it was lovely and in all honesty the Emerald Cave wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated!

      Delete
  7. Finally catching up with the blogging world and details of your amazing trip which is filling me with envy. I think I might have thought twice about snorkelling through the Emerald Cave too but can imagine giving myself the same talking-to before plucking up the courage to do it (so long as the water was warm!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the water was warm so that was the least of my problems. We actually had quite a bit of head room above water level too. It would have been easier to swim on my back but I kept bumping into the sides of the cave, so while it was hard-ish work, it really was nowhere near as bad as my imagination would have had me believe!

      Delete