The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 26 December 2022

And so time moves on!

Greetings earthlings (which is what I'm told Santa's elves say). I've been offline again for a few days so missed some of your recent posts (but am hopefully all caught up now)! I'm glad everyone seems to have had a good Christmas and is looking forward to the new year. Oh and I wanted to say to Ms Moon - I'm so glad Mr. M's latest ER escapade turned out ok (I had missed that post while offline)! I also want to mention that I spotted a few comments in my spam folder the other day so I apologize if anyone thought I was ignoring them - well anyone except "Rehana" who seems to be trolling his/her away round blog world again!

As for me, I guess not much is new although the past few weeks have treated me kindly! I bumped into the newest member of our sewing club at the market just before Christmas and she was rhapsodizing about how happy she is to have found our group. She's an older lady and a novice at sewing but is so enthusiastic and told me that she had never met such a friendly group and was having such fun. It's nice to hear, isn't it - and I get exactly what she means about our group. We all seem to have found "our gang" and are indeed very, very friendly and welcoming!

On the good news side I got word from the French authorities that they will reimburse me €2,000 (of the €4,500 cost) when I get my fire insert installed on 16 March. They do this in order to encourage people to get rid of their open chimneys, so while I won't have to demolish my fireplace (I wouldn't have anyway as I like it), by getting the insert it effectively puts the open chimney out of commission. That's surely better than a poke in the eye with a wet fish, right?

On the not so good news side, I haven't done nearly as well with my walking this year and don't really know why. Maybe I just lost my oomph, but I know the excruciatingly hot summer didn't help. Anyway, I've pretty much limped my way to around 900 miles for 2022. I really want to do better in 2023 so I'm going to sign back up to the FB group in order to keep my mind focussed!

This next I mention for no particular reason, but I've yet again been getting quite a few "hallo dearest, I'm the dying widow of ..... and would like to leave you $10 million in my will" or "this is UPS Wisconsin and we're having trouble delivering your parcel" (not surprising really, considering where I live!) and I inevitably respond by telling them to "go shove it where the sun don't shine" and then block. Well the other day I got a strange message from new-to-me email address "movasin" and was just ready to do the same when I took a closer look and it turned out to be the bill from my gynae (whose name is Sina Movarekhi). Damn, I'm glad I didn't have an attack of trigger finger on that one!

Then last week I went to our retirees' association lunch and was delighted to end up sitting next to a few of my favourite retirees (there are some everyone tries to avoid like the plague, of course)! Anyway, I ended up sitting next to Tony - who I was supposed to be going to André Rieu's Zurich concert with pre-pandemic ("for a dirty weekend" (not), as we put it) and we talked about looking up his latest dates now that he's touring again. Well it turns out Zurich is sold out already so it doesn't look like it will be this year for us, but for some reason I also spotted that my favourite comedian, Peter Kay, is back touring after taking a few years away "for personal reasons" and I'm delighted! All of his gigs so far are in the UK (although I know he'd sell out Geneva), so I'm debating asking my sister if she wants to book a date on his new tour to go see him together. I watched 18 minutes of him on Youtube this morning and he had me in stiches as his insight into life in Britain is absolutely spot on!

Peter Kay!

On the Christmas front, Papa Noël again visited our village earlier this week, but I guess Rudolph was having a rest pre-Christmas because yet again his arrival was somewhat unconventional!

I also bumped into Stan and his wife for the first time in ages and was pleased to see him looking well, even though his wife quietly told me that his health was still very much up and down!

With Stan and his wife, Martine!

On Christmas Eve we were invited up to Jordan and Jen's but Jen told us to wear something warm as we were "going somewhere first" - well that is if the landslide she had heard about hadn't blocked our route! Turns out we ended up at the ski resort of Samoëns, which is one of my favourite little towns,(I've written about it a few times already - Samoëns), so that was a nice surprise. We were there to see Papa Noël coming through (again), but this time his sleigh was being drawn by a rather beautiful shire horse. Everyone complied with the request to stay away from the horse and parents were very good at standing back and letting all the little kids go to the front. But wouldn't you know it, I held up my phone to start taking photos and the bloody battery died! Damn! But at least we got to see him for real, although to be honest Charlie was pretty non-plussed (he's still little as yet). After that they let off fireworks in the Botanic Gardens, and while the display was short it was very, very good! I heard an awful lot of English spoken - not sure if they were tourists here for the skiing or imports like me - and even a bit of Welsh so that was nice!

Samoëns (just before my phone died on me)!

Christmas Day was at my place, with Jen's mom making a wonderful sauerkraut lunch - a speciality of her region. I think we all hit it out of the ball park with our gifts this year - me especially with Jordan's self-heating coat. He was thrilled and couldn't wait to get the battery charged to try it, although he was a bit concerned that Jen might steal it from him (no chance) as he knew she would love it too, even if it was too big for her! I bought several gifts for everyone but at one point Jen was scrambling about looking for an envelope I had given her (a gift voucher to a craft shop), which seemed to have gotten lost in the fray - and which actually made me think of this quote from Very British Problems!


At one point Charlie was bouncing along one of the couches and Jen's mom smacked the sofa hard while playing with him. Well I'm ashamed to say a dust cloud flew off that thing and when Charlie emerged from it he looked like something out of The Hound of The Baskervilles! Talk about embarrassing! So this evening I have had my very heavy couches pulled out, scrubbed down and vacuumed thoroughly and yet I still didn't find Jen's voucher. As I moved the heaviest couch out I noticed a plug socket on the back of it??? Say what? Since when has my couch had a plug socket? Well it turns out it doesn't but it had been pushed up so hard against that wall that an old, unused socket cover had stuck to the back of it (I guess it really was time for a good clean then, right?)! Then I spent the next 30 minutes trying to put it all back together again but I now seemingly have one large cushion too many! Ha, so now I'm trying to find a picture of my couches to find out how they go back together. How dumb is that!

Both my kids are pretty funny and while I'm used to them, they often have Jen's mom in stitches. Anyway, André came out with this one last evening and we all burst out laughing!

"What are the three things an American can just never say?

"I'M SORRY"

"YOU WERE RIGHT" AND 




...... "WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE!"

While the first two are obviously not true, the last one is pretty spot on, in my opinion! So after my epic ramblings (you can see why I don't post often, can't you), I hope you have a lovely New Year's Eve and that 2023 is kind to all of us! Meilleurs Voeux - or Namaste from France!



 

18 comments:

  1. How ARE you supposed to pronounce "Worcestershire"? I was raised with it being said as "Wooster Sheer." That can't be correct.
    Sounds like you had a very fine Christmas! Who cares about dust in the sofa? I guess you do if you went to all that trouble to clean them. The story about the electric socket cover cracked me up.
    Mr. Moon is fine. In FACT, he is now off to go fishing tomorrow. So yes, he's great but he may end up killing me with worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw that electric socket I thought for a split second about trying to plug my vacuum in there - and then realized that was impossible. And I'm glad to hear Mr. M. is doing well again. Fishing, hunting, mechanic-ing. The man never stops does he! And I guess phonetically we would pronounce it WUSTA-SHIRR so you don't sound too far off to me! We even got married just outside the city of Worcester and yet my MIL still couldn't pronounce it. She used to crack us all up!

      Delete
  2. On the last, I've been to Worcester Massachusetts, and they call it Wooster, as in Rooster with a W, so it my be woostershire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your Wooster would miss by a mile unfortunately. But then again, we pronounce Notre Dame very differently to how you guys do too. Just as well Notre Dame don't make anchovy sauce I guess!

      Delete
    2. You had a fun Christmas. I look forward to my kids being home and having our extra one, plus celebrate my daughter's birthday. Papa Noel has style!

      Delete
    3. Won't be long now until your daughter is back will it. All that anticipation and yet she's nearly home! And yes, round here Papa Noël does seem to have style - lots of them in fact!

      Delete
  3. I have a couch that my dogs and husband sit on, all the time. I can't imagine it's clean anymore but I try not to think about it too much.

    Sounds like you have a lovely Christmas. Have a happy New Year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would even have noticed the dust if it hadn't actually look like someone was sending smoke signals!!! Still, no harm done. I'm pulling that room to pieces now, cleaning AND more importantly getting stuff sorted to take to the charity shop, so it's good all round. And yes we did have a lovely Christmas thanks. And happy new year to you too! I hope 2023 is calmer for you all round!

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear you had a lovely holiday. Your incident with the couch and dust made me laugh. I hope 2023 is a very Happy New Year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha for a split second I actually thought my couch had a plug socket and I didn't remember it!!!! And happy new year 2023 to you too Lori!

      Delete
  5. I like the name "Papa Noel" :) and as always your posts leave me chuckling and I can always envision just what you write...dust! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dust plume honestly looked like a distress signal - but thankfully no longer, thanks to my trusty hoover with an actual bag in it (found out I'd been using it without a bag). Oh dear!

      Delete
  6. The dust plume would have embarrassed me to no end. Not having a bag in the vacuum cleaner. Well, that won't work. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use that living room often and while I do occasionally flick a duster at it, obviously that wasn't enough. As for the vacuum bag, it had been full and I had to order new ones through Amazon and then just forgot about it. That thing has such a strong suck on it now I'm afraid to touch the couch or the whole bloody thing might disappear! Don't get old, eh?

      Delete
  7. I have just finished reading your run up to Christmas and the big dusty day itself. I was already feeling tired when I started, but confess your antics and energy have polished me off - with a smile. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the dust antics got worse, but I eventually found the missing gift!!!! And considering you're the zumba/gym lady par excellence I doubt very much I would ever tire you out! Happy New Year to you too! See you in 2023!

      Delete
  8. I am glad to see you found the missing gift, I hope you got some downtime post Christmas! Also great that you're getting €2000 back and getting something put in that you've wanted, yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the €2,000 rebate will be very welcome for sure. And as for the gift, I think it was just God's way of making me clean my house. Either way, it worked didn't it!

      Delete