The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Sunday 23 May 2021

Neighbours!

It's been a pretty meh week this week, with just one day of decent-ish weather and the rest being wet and cool, so a crappy May all in all! My friend came over on Thursday (the only decent day) and we drove out to the lake at Thyez and then walked on into Cluses - which he seems to really like for some reason. The restrictions on café terraces have just been lifted so we were able to sit outside and have a drink once we got there and it was so nice to see people outside having lunch and a chat after so many months of restrictions. I think we've got about another three weeks (not sure of the date) before we'll be allowed to eat indoors but hopefully by then the weather will be hot and no-one will want to eat indoors anyway. Goodness knows the cafés and restaurants could do with a break right? On the way back I realized that Cluses' market is an all-day market so we had a quick wander round there and again it was really nice. There's quite a large North African community in Cluses so there were lots of lovely spices, dates, olives, almonds and cakes on sale and the smell was just wonderful. Maybe not as strong as the souks in Istanbul or Marrakech, but lovely all the same! All that and I clocked up another 14 km, which is just as well because I haven't done much else this week!



I also got a message from my friend this week to say that she'd finally been granted French citizenship, and I'm delighted for her. She jumped on it as soon as the Brexit vote went down so she's at least a couple of years ahead of me. So while it takes ages, I guess the wheels of bureaucracy finally get there in the end don't they. I'm not really expecting anything for another two/three years anyway, but in two years time I will be 65 (yikes) and then having been in France over 25 years (nearer 35 at that point) and having a French grandchild I will be able to apply by ascendency so half this stuff I've been studying up on will no longer be necessary! It'll happen in the end, I suppose, and that time will go by whether or not I've started the process anyway, won't it!

I was feeling a bit lethargic this weekend so finally gave myself a metaphorical kick up the butt and started sorting a few clothes out to put in the charity bin. When I tried some of them on I can only think "what on earth was I thinking????" so I quickly bundled them up and dropped them off immediately before I changed my mind! So just another - oh I don't know - 10,000 hours of sorting and I'll be good then! 

André has worked from home all week this week as there are major roadworks going on in Geneva, so I think he's getting a bit restless. That being said, he showed me a Youtube video of some guy having facial and nasal hair waxed which was pretty funny - well at least, the friend sitting in the background seemed to think it was hilarious as he was doubled up! I don't know which country they were in but the scream that this guy lets out when they yank his nasal hair out is quite something - not that we'll have an awful lot of sympathy for him, eh ladies?

Eewww yuck!

As I said, we've had so much rain this past week I realized I'd have to do something about my little greenhouse as the sheer weight of the accumulated rain was making the top sag. I've managed to wedge a few cross-poles up to the roof to hopefully keep it at a slope and help the rain to drain off it before it tears it. Note to self, "when you go out in the morning to push the roof up with a broom and, hopefully, clear the rain water do it from the inside if you don't want to get a shower!" I've actually taken to leaving an old spoon up by my raised beds too in order to do a bit of "slug-flinging" as the buggers keep getting into my lettuce beds! Well that and having a dedicated bucket and trowel for shit-shovelling deposits left by neighbours' dogs!!!! I've mentioned before that my back garden is open so my lawn seems to be fair game for quite a few dogs to come and "relieve themselves", including a dog belonging to one family who would go absolutely ballistic if someone else's dog left them a gift on their lawn! Still, I guess you have to take the good with the bad and on balance I'd say the "good" far outweighs the bad as far as my neighbours are concerned!

The other day, just as I was on my way out, my immediate neighbour rang the doorbell and asked if she could come in for a coffee. She was wound up tighter than a coil so I put my plans to one side and sat with her for about half an hour. It was the usual, how much she hates her husband, if she had any money she'd leave him and how he treats her with utter contempt. Thing is, she won't (or probably can't) leave him at this point (she's nearly 70 and has no money) so it's a question of "putting up" I guess. That being said, I asked her to come out walking with me when the weather picks up as surely he is more than capable of making himself a sandwich right? We'll see how that works but if she's never said no to him in the past it will be difficult to start doing so now won't it. But there's an awful lot of truth to the saying that they treat you as bad as you allow yourself to be treated too isn't there!

After that the doorbell went again and I'm already starting to do my Mutley impersonation ("sazzafrazzarazza") because I tend to live upstairs - and it was another neighbour who wanted to know if I had any harissa (I did) as she'd made couscous for 10 and had forgotten the harissa!


Then a few minutes later, another doorbell! Thankfully I didn't yank the door open like an ungracious clod because it was another neighbour whose husband had been picking Lily of the Valley in the woods and she'd brought some round for me - shortly to be followed by yet another neighbour who'd been given some expensive tea by a salesman and she wanted to give it to me as she knows I'm a tea drinker! Add to that the fact that André stayed in Geneva last night at a friend's and then came crashing home around mid-day, took a shower and dashed back out to another friend's for a birthday lunch - it's been like Grand Central Station here! I shouldn't complain though because in all honesty I'll take the noise and the bustle over silence and solitude any day, I guess!

22 comments:

  1. Our weather has not been great either. It's still so cold. My poor plants are struggling.
    Isn't it funny how some days you get loads of people in and out and then others you see no-one! Sounds like you have nice neighbours though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have nice neighbours - warts and all, I guess! And I count myself lucky because I think it's so important!

      Delete
  2. Your life sounds wonderful! Obviously you are well loved by your neighbors. You have such a great sense of humor I wanted to leave you a link that had me in giggles yesterday: PS it was only a facebook link so have your facebook open in another tab for it to play and I apologize for the swearing but it is part of the cuteness:
    https://www.facebook.com/sophie.mornin/posts/10165127999460133

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God I just looked at that clip. It's hilarious. I know the language isn't "ideal" but it's too funny!

      Delete
  3. I had to look up what harissa is for I have heard of it for the first time. What we call couscous is so much different than the Northern African nations. Ours is basically mini pasta balls not crushed wheat. We do not use spices or spicey sauces for it. Just tomato sauce and butter or olive oil. May be a little garlic. We use crushed wheat for other things and depending on the size, we call them irmik, fine bulgur and bulgur.
    Oh and I love Mutley. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We obviously have "couscous" (the grain) here but what I refer to as "couscous" (the dish) is obviously what you would find in Morocco/Tunisia etc. I love it, and there's a great couscous restaurant near here - but you definitely can't eat it without harissa!

      Delete
  4. It's so great you can support your neighbour that way - hopefully she can come and walk with you, but yes by 70 it is hard to strike out on your own. Love that you had a little something for everyone, then someone had something for you! Glad to see you can get out and about, walk and enjoy some outdoor time now!

    Your Muttley reference actually is so great - i use GIF of him laughing ALL the time, but never knew where it was from, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very fond of this neighbour and it's all very well to say cudda, shudda, wudda and see the solutions to everyone else's problems (but not your own of course), so I reckon all I can do is be there for her. Women need to talk, don't they!!!! Oh and I always loved Mutley (well him and his side-kick, Dick Dastardly). You can tell who watched a lot of cartoons as a kid can't you!

      Delete
  5. my, your house is almost like Grand Central Station. I don't really have to deal with slugs, but I've got bunnies from hell who will eat anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part I don't mind "Grand Central Station", although I do get fed up of running down the stairs to answer the door! Still, I guess it keeps me fit right? We don't seem to get any bunnies but I go slug-flinging every morning now. I'm gonna go out there with straw and maybe any eggshells to try to keep them at bay. Fat bastards!

      Delete
  6. In our Italian village the comune have allowed bars and restaurants to take up public spaces for outdoor service at no cost. As the weather is good everyone is using the tables and chairs, a lovely atmosphere and such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've started doing the same here but the weather has been dreadful. Still, there are new umbrellas and awnings going up all over the place so I hope they can bring in some money. It does make such a difference to the atmosphere though, having people sitting outside doesn't it!

      Delete
  7. My garden presently looks as though it’s ready for trench warfare with the erection of wire barricades all over the place after a neighbourhood cat decided to use it as its personal litter tray. I so detest having to go out and clear up after other people’s animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few cats going in my greenhouse too, but I've put down straw and mulched up grass cuttings so I hope that'll keep them away. As for the dogs - what can I say. I like dogs anyway but their poop? Not so much!

      Delete
  8. Your house WAS Grand Central Station! I NEVER have a day like that. Glad you got to meet up with your lovely Dutchman and enjoy some life outside the house. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house hasn't really been that busy since the kids were younger and all the mates were forever ringing the doorbell. But as I say, I have good neighbours and they are all willing to lend a hand so I guess you have to take the good with the bad don't you!

      Delete
  9. Bunnies, slugs, chipmunks___everyone has their particular critters they have to deal with.
    My front yard by my mailbox seems to be the deposit area for some of my neighbors who walk their dogs. Most of the walkers are really good eggs who carry plastic bags and clean after their dogs, but the few who don't have larger dogs and sometimes it looks like a horse has been tromping through the yard
    I would love to walk through a market with delicious smells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I'm on a walk and see what some of these dogs leave behind I do wonder if they aren't part cow too!!!! One of the worst, I suspect, is a neighbour who DOES walk his very large dogs but never picks their crap up so it's all over the grass verges! Yuck!

      Delete
  10. that was sweet of neighbor to drop off the flowers. I wish we had places like where you live to walk that much. Here we'd be on the side of the road and get run over by a car or eaten by a bear up higher, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bears would make me think twice, but other than the wild boars that hit my car not so long ago, most of our animals are not dangerous - and thankfully the boars are usually nocturnal!

      Delete
  11. I looked up the video of that young man getting waxed and all I could think was why on earth would you wax your nose hairs. That's got to hurt like a bugger.

    Your place was so busy, especially compared to the quiet of the last year.

    I've been making a concerted effort to walk more and I got a fitbit for Christmas which keeps track of it. Apparently, at one point I walked across Italy. Sadly I missed all the sights:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same about the guy getting his face waxed. Why on earth didn't he just use a nose trimmer for the nasal hairs? There's no way I would have had them yanked out like that, especially given the fact that he looked REALLY hairy! I've had a couple of fitbits but eventually they stopped charging with my phone/computer so I went back to the pedometre. Still, whether it be a fitbit or a pedometre, it's making me more conscious that I need to walk, so well done to both of us right?

      Delete