The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 31 December 2018

Health!

I suspect most of us take it for granted … that is, until we lose it don't we! I know I certainly do. But sometimes life has a way of giving you a kick in the butt to make you sit up and take note! My eldest brother was taken violently ill about three weeks ago, totally out of the blue, with horrendous stomach pains and severe vomiting. He couldn't even make it up the stairs! His lady friend drove up from her home about 120 miles away to be with him and he was in hospital last week having a camera put down his throat. They were talking cancer but also the possibility of an ulcer and were awaiting the results later this week. I spoke to him last week and he looked pretty good, but then yesterday when I called he had been unwell again and didn't look too great, having lost 20 lbs in three weeks - and there wasn't much of him to begin with! Well this afternoon I got a message from my sister to say that he had been taken to hospital, in incredible pain and vomiting "black stuff". Ever since his lady friend, M, had arrived she has been taking care of him, picking up his prescriptions and trying to get him to eat but he was up constantly every night vomiting and she made the decision to call the ambulance today. They have confirmed that it is indeed cancer but are not sure whether they have caught it early or whether it has spread! They will know more later when all the test results are in! Bloody hell, what a shock. Whatever happens, he is in the best place he can be both for himself and for poor M who has been through the wringer for him! I just sent her a message to thank her for everything she has done for my brother and she was really moved. You see, they got together about two years after my brother's wife died and while the oldest son is perfectly fine with their relationship the younger one (who is 50) is, to be blunt, being an absolute twat! He has been rude to M from the beginning and it is now getting worse. He should be ashamed of himself after all that woman has done for his dad! And to be honest, I have never seen my brother as happy as he has been these past two years. She is a good woman and son number two needs to grow up! Anyway, we are keeping our fingers and toes crossed that the outcome will be treatable!

On a slightly happier note, I spoke to Steve yesterday for the first time in 10 days and he looks really good. He has had his last round of chemo (for the time being) and is slowly getting his strength back. He was already bald so the chemo didn't affect that but he shaved his beard off and so far it hasn't come back and those hairy Polish arms of his are somewhat less hairy but otherwise he is doing well. He has been to the hospital and they are looking at a bone marrow transplant in February followed by four to five weeks in isolation. But he's getting there and very positive! It did get me thinking, though, that thank God they live in the UK. When I hear people from other countries worrying about medical insurance and co-pays I can only thank God for the NHS. Neither of them will get any kind of bill for their treatment - I know this "free" treatment is paid for out of taxes but I, for one, think that that is the way it should be everywhere. Not living in the UK, I'm very lucky that I have excellent, worldwide medical coverage through my employer (even in retirement) as prices for medical treatment in Switzerland are horrendously high. But again, thank God for the NHS and the foresight of Aneurin Bevan who founded it in 1948!

And just tonight I hear that "little" Jimmy Osmond has just had a stroke at the age of 55. His second, apparently. He was appearing in theatre at the Birmingham Hippodrome and felt unwell, but being the supreme professional that he obviously is he finished his performance, signed some autographs and was then taken to hospital. God speed Jimmy!

And talking of "health" I thought my own puny efforts at getting fit/losing some weight had fallen at the first hurdle today as I made the mistake of plonking myself down to read and I don't remember getting up again. Despite the beautiful weather I talked myself out of going for a walk (I know, I know) buuuuuut around 4 o'clock I metaphorically gave myself a kick in the butt and decided to do Jane Fonda's workout. Yep, I still have the tapes. Tapes, can you believe it! I used to do her workouts many moons ago and eventually found even the advanced tape easy, but now!!!! Well let's just say a few years and a few (ok, many) pounds heavier I knew it wouldn't be pretty. And it wasn't! But I did it. The beginner's tape is about 35 minutes long but I knew I would feel so much better afterwards (I had been getting back and neck ache from lack of exercise). But by golly, the shoulder stand at the end! If you really want to see how much blubber you have on your belly try to get yourself into a shoulder stand! I tell you the weight of my boobs and my belly almost suffocated me! Like I say, it wasn't pretty but I did it. And I hope hearing about other people's health problems will be the catalyst to make me get serious about getting fit this time. You can't take your health for granted forever!

I definitely didn't look like this!

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your brother, really thank goodness for his GF. Adult kids have a hard time when parents find someone new, especially after the previous spouse has passed. I was lucky, met the kids young and they still have their Mom so generally treated me with respect. I would like better health in 2019 as well, you only get one body and each year it is harder than the last to keep it in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are keeping our fingers crossed - that's all we can do at the moment. I don't think it's easy for anybody when couples break up or there is a death but M really has been an angel for my brother and deserves more respect!

      Delete
  2. OH, I will hope for the best for your brother. I totally take my health for granted, and though I have RA and have days when my muscles just do not cooperate, I am so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those of us who have enjoyed good health do tend to take it for granted. Like "we will always be young" and then one day we aren't. We're all praying for him and he is in good hands.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your brother, while they're not miracle workers nowadays, wonders are being worked in the fields of medicine. Hoping for the best with him.
    And for you? Wishing you a good 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, that's very sweet of you. It's already 1st January here and I'm just off to bed (and, apparently, am now officially retired - yay me!) Happy new year to you too (and those lovely dogs of yours)! Anna

      Delete
  4. What a shock. It seems we get into 60s and things start happening. I hope They be caught it and all is well. Im back on tbe diet and fitness wagon like so many people at this time of year. It's one of our goals to you a gym and stay healthy. Your walking is one if the best things you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, yes it was a shock as he has never been ill and it was so sudden. We are all crossing our fingers for him and I will wait till next week when we will have more news to see if I need to go home. His lady friend is there, his son is going and my sister and her husband will go up too so I don't want to be too many of us. Anyway, we're keeping positive and why not. And turning 60 and having everything start to fall apart is scary. I could do with losing a couple of stone so if not now then when! And oddly enough I have always enjoyed the gym (so why do I stop???)!

      Delete