The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Sunday 11 June 2023

Not all superheroes wear capes!

As an update to my last post, the good news is that all of the four toddlers (aged between 22 and 36 months) stabbed by that lunatic are now out of danger (as are the two adults). The back story is he had been living in Sweden for the last 10 years and had asylum there. He split from his wife and last autumn travelled to France and requested asylum here in France. The French refused his request on 4 June on the grounds that he had been living for the last 10 years in Sweden, so now if he wanted to move to France he would have to qualify as an immigrant, and not under refugee status. Apparently his ex-wife had already written to both the Swiss and French authorities warning them that he was unstable but ....! So he'd lived in Annecy in an "irregular situation" since last autumn and then decided, for whatever reason, to stab a bunch of little kids in a play area. All I can say is thank God the kiddies are going to be all right. Well no, actually thanks don't belong to God, they belong to the first responders and doctors and nurses. Actually no, to give thanks where they really belong - well that would be to a 24 year old hero who came out swinging and managed to get that lunatic away from the play area until security forces could pin him down! It's ironic that footballers can be paid millions and when they score a goal they're referred to as "heroes" but in reality not all heroes wear capes!

Henri - a real hero!

In other news, my friend and I took our annual trip to the market in Turin yesterday, our first since 2019, for obvious reasons! We were up at the crack of dawn to catch the bus at 6 a.m. If all goes to plan we make it to Turin around 10 a.m. and then get to spend around six hours doing our own thing. We've done this trip often enough now to realize that next time we can afford to spend an hour or so exploring the old town before having lunch and then hitting the market. There are markets all over Turin but I reckon this must be the biggest. It's not even in the best part of town - it's a bit grubby and run down, to be honest - but god I love that market. As soon as I duck under the stall awnings I'm in my element. Prices have gone up just as everywhere else (it's still cheaper than where I live), but just the sensory experience is worth the trip for me!

Look at the size of those watermelons!

In my dream world I would live in one of 
those apartments and wander down to
the market every day! It's not even that noisy - 
Birmingham market is way noisier!

Having lunch next to
the market!

It drizzled on and off all day, but after a few minutes of rain, the sun would come back out and we'd end up walking round in what felt like a sauna! On the way back to the border we stopped at an outlet mall, the main point of stopping apparently being to buy booze and cigarettes! Our trip cost €60 so you don't actually "save" money by going to Turin, but I suppose if you are also buying spirits and cigarettes it might work out evens-stevens financially. I wouldn't know though, as I didn't buy either. To me it's just a lovely day out. I personally spent around €100 at the market (in addition to lunch), We had three buses going in our "convoy", I saw two buses from Annecy and quite a few more from other French regions relatively local to Turin, so the market really makes out by having the French buses stop in. Just as the northern French ports used to make a killing when the Brits would do a day trip by car and load up at the local supermarkets. Of course all that stopped when Britain left the EU. It's "funny" (in a not so funny ha ha sense) how these things have a knock on effect. Just imagine if the French could no longer visit the market in Turin and cross back into France with their purchases duty free. The whole house of cards would come tumbling down wouldn't it! A case of the hip bone's connected to the thigh bone, methinks!

The Glacier de Bosson, seen from
the Italian side, just before we hit
the French border!



14 comments:

  1. Thank goodness there are real heroes in this world. That market looks nice. Those melons looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That young man was very brave as for a while he was on his own trying to keep the knifeman away! And as for the market, I just love it. Dotted all around are stalls that only sell herbs and the smell is amazing. I suppose the whole "Italy" atmosphere helps too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the update on the children. I hadn't heard anything since the initial attack. It's good to get more info. I love the markets in France. The fruit and veg always look so wonderful, I was always glad we were self catering when we went to France on holiday. Unfortunately markets don't seem to be a 'thing' in my part of the world. Well, there is an odd market but usually selling the crap that fell off the back of a lorry somewhere!! You are very fortunate to be able to 'travel' without the hassle of having to 'travel' if you see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept checking for news on the children and when they said the little Dutch girl was out of danger I was overjoyed. Then apparently the little British girl should be able to leave hospital this week, just leaving two French babies, if I'm not mistaken. French markets are lovely of course but the weather helps. I remember sloshing round a few markets in Birmingham in the pouring rain and it just doesn't have the same vibe does it!!!! And believe me I really appreciate being able to travel without travelling, but of course open borders has its own drawbacks too (see above)!

      Delete
  3. I am so very glad to hear that the children are going to be all right and I have great respect for the man who saved them. I just don't quite see the correlation between the perpetrator's status as an immigrant and the crime. Obviously he was indeed a disturbed person and disturbed people come from everywhere. Mental illness knows no nationality. Is there something I'm missing here?
    What a beautiful market! I know your inner gatherer must have been so thrilled to be there. Mine would have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so upset about the children, particularly because we go to that park if we have Charlie with us. From what I read it is the fact that he was refused asylum status in France that tipped him over the edge. The French argument was that he was obviously no longer in any danger as he had been living in Sweden for 10 years, therefore he had to go the "immigration route" (i.e. provide the paperwork) rather than the asylum route (less, or no paperwork). I'm an immigrant myself - well actually I've been an immigrant for the last 40+ years - but I always had to have my paperwork in order. The open borders policy is allowing unchecked people into the country, many of whom have no legal right of abode and do not qualify for asylum (economic migrants in many cases). And of course mental illness exists everywhere - I just don't want little kids to be on the receiving end of it, particularly as he presumably could have gotten help in Sweden, where he is legally resident. In the end I'm just so glad everyone is ok, although who knows what those kids will now be dealing with in the aftermath. And yes that market is wonderful. It is a complete assault on the senses and I love it!

      Delete
  4. EU is paying Turkey to open it's borders and us, the citizens have to live with this stupidity. When we want the refugees to go back to where they came from, we are blamed to be racists. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey (like Greece and Italy) is really bearing the brunt of this insanity and I absolutely agree with you. I don't think anyone has a problem with genuine refugees, it's the undocumented non-refugees that are the problem. The people crossing the channel between France and England in boats are young men - not a woman or child to be seen - but of course the powers that be will never have to live in the neighbourhoods where all the bored, young, unemployed men hang around!

      Delete
  5. Thankfully, those heroes are everywhere, it seems. We have so many tragedies in the US. In Birmingham, Alabama, a 60 year old man shot and killed three seniors at a senior dinner in a church. Before he could do more harm, another senior decked him with a folding chair. Thankfully, he was brave enough to advance on the gunman. There is a special kind of tragedy when children are attacked.
    And, we have more than our share of illegal and legal immigrants! I am liberal, but as you see, letting in everyone can be a problem. Glad the babies are going to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something every day isn't there - what a sad reflection on our society that is! As for immigration, I've always been in favour. As I said above, I'm an immigrant and have been for the past 43 years, BUT it should be controlled immigration. Not just an open door policy with no checks and balances!

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear the children are doing OK. Thank goodness for the hero that saved them. Everything seems so upside down now all across the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept checking to see if there was any news on the children and thankfully they all survived, although goodness know what pyschological consequences there might still be. But you're right, for every lunatic in this world there always seems to be a dozen heroes and I'm just thankful one was there that day!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the update on the children. I’d feared the worst. As for water melons, I wonder if it’s an exceptional harvest for them at the moment. We visited a market in Latvia last week and my jaw dropped when I saw the size of them - bigger even than anything I’ve ever seen in Morocco where I recall once living on them for a whole month, they being the only thing I could rely on to avoid food poisoning (it was 45 years ago). Never eaten them since, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so relieved to hear that all the children had survived (and the two adults of course), but like you say, is anywhere safe now!!!!! As for the watermelons, they were way bigger than what we get here but, to be honest, somehow I think the quality of the fruit we bought wasn't as good as it usually is. Who knows!

      Delete