The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 19 November 2022

The tortoise and the hare!

Well I have to say I am dead impressed with the way the breakdown company handled my situation the other day when my car wouldn't start! I was a bit worried, truth be told, because for over 30 years I have kept up my coverage with a Swiss company called TCS and just a few months ago I finally cancelled it because the guy at my French bank told me that I was covered for everything just the same under my French insurance. So only ever having used TCS two times in 30+ years, what happens - I break down pretty much as soon as I cancel them! I tried charging my battery for over 24 hours but nothing gave so on Monday morning I called the number on the French site. I was immediately instructed to press a different key for "is anyone injured", "are you on a motorway", "is it urgent" and I just hate that stuff. But, within about 90 seconds I received a text message with a link to follow in order to set up an appointment to have someone come out. And yet again, in under two minutes I had someone on the phone. I told him it wasn't urgent as I was parked in my driveway so at 1.30 p.m. that afternoon they sent out "the jolly green giant" (except he wasn't green, but was definitely very jolly) and in less than five minutes he had turbo charged my battery with his rocket booster and all was fixed! When I told him my battery was almost seven years old he just laughed and said to think myself lucky as it didn't really owe me anything did it! I was just so glad, though, that I hadn't set off to Jordan and Jen's that night and broken down on some lonely back road in the middle of nowhere. I pointed out to Mr. Giant where the mice had been gnawing away but luckily they hadn't chewed through any wiring - just the rubber tubing!

Looks like they've been making their
nest in the foam under the hood!

Lunch was apparently also included!

Anyway, I had already called Ford that morning and they ordered in a battery for me, so just a few hours later (and several hundred euros lighter), I was set to go! As we were invited over to Jordan and Jen's for dinner on the Saturday night, Jen's mom very kindly picked me up and dropped me back home, and while yes, it was kind of her, I absolutely hate riding with her. She is one of those people who rides the coat tails of the car in front with a "can't you go any faster than that"? and "hey grandad if you can't hack it get off the road"! And I hate it! Even her partner was telling her to chill as we were in no rush but there was nothing doing - that's just the way she drives. She can handle her car, thankfully, because as she was riding "grandpa's" bumper he suddenly put on his left turn signal and she had to slam the brakes on hard to avoid him! I tell ya, I'm so glad to have my own car back, although I suppose in all honesty she would probably go just as nuts having to ride with me, wouldn't she!

I spent a couple of hours the other day catching up on paperwork. I'm usually pretty hot on that stuff as I hate being disorganised, but I guess it got the better of me for a while. I think I mentioned before that the Swiss are very much into QR codes and online banking (naturally, I suppose). Heck they haven't used cheques since 2003 so you'd better be somewhat computer literate if you have a Swiss bank account - as I do where my pension is paid! Just recently my doctor's bills have been arriving with a QR code and you either use that or you type in all the relevant info yet again in order to pay your bill. I don't pay my bills via my phone, simply because I find the screen too small, and I figured the QR code wouldn't work on my computer but whaddayaknow - I held the bill up to the camera on my clunky old computer and it scanned the payment details into my bank account for payment! Talk about impressive! It was certainly a lot easier than typing in 20-digit reference numbers every time! So I guess you can, occasionally, teach old dogs new tricks then! I also spent some time deleting blogs from my favourites list, which has streamlined my reading list quite a bit. Not that I didn't like those blogs, it's just that some had stopped posting, some I had moved on from, and others, well no way in heck was I ever going to be able to go back to the beginning and read their entire blog - even though I obviously liked the blog enough to save it in the first place! That being said I'm still saving a few new ones, but I really don't want my favourites list to get quite as long again!

Heading off on another tangent, since I like the photo album I have made of Charlie, I thought it would be nice to go through the old black and white photos I have of my family and make an album for my sister and me! Years ago when I was home in England I asked my mom if I could take the shoebox full of old photos and she said no problem. I mean, who was ever going to look at them stuffed in a shoebox right? Well my other sister (who lives in Denmark) heard me ask for them and then threw a strop about how "she had always wanted those pictures too" and she was going to take them. I called BS, knowing full well that she only wanted them because I had asked for them. I guess even at that age I was smart enough - or just knew this sister well enough - to keep my mouth shut and see if she "wanted them so badly" that she would remember to take them back to Denmark with her. She didn't of course so I took them and made up several family albums - which pleased my mom and dad no end when they came out here one Christmas. It's been kinda nice selecting and editing (as far as possible) photos of when my parents were young, and now that I've gotten them as sorted as they will ever be, I reckon another hour or so and I can create the old family album as a keepsake. It's odd too that just an hour ago, the daughter of my "English" sister contacted me asking if I had any old photos of her mom and dad as it's their 50th wedding anniversary next month and she wants to make them an album. I had just the one wedding photo and none of my BIL as a child, of course, but she's going to have a rummage in their loft when they fly off to Dublin next week for their anniversary trip! Wise minds think alike, I guess!

Jen's job at the daycare came to an end (she was doing a maternity leave replacement) and she has now gotten a part-time office job with the small company that has been servicing my heating system for the past 32 years. I like this company very much as I find them very professional, and apparently when they found out she was married to Jordan they asked him to come in and speak to them as they would like to employ him. They've "known" him since he was born, in the sense that they've been coming to the house that long and he would always have his nose into what they were doing with the boiler. It would be good money - better than he's making now in fact - but he said he really doesn't want to go back to servicing boilers and would rather be doing real plumbing work. He's also making more money than before so they can apparently still make it financially - even with Jen going part-time - and now Jen gets to spend more time with Charlie and they're both happy!

I took my books back to the library-with-the-beautiful view last week and I have to say I really love that place - not just the library but the whole old town. It's very small but the tower and walls are medieval and have such a great atmosphere. In fact, when you drive out of there you drive through an archway in the town walls that are just about wide enough to get your car through! It's a lovely part of town!



My house is in the distance,
at the foot of those mountains!

And finally, I had another plumbing company come by last Tuesday to give me a quote for my bathrooms, and at the same time Benoit, the mason, stopped in to check whether it would be possible for me to have a wood-burning fire insert installed into my fireplace. It seems that it should be an easy job for him to take out a few of the tiles in order to give extra height for them to install the insert so things are looking good (finally) on that score. When we were down in my basement checking where the fresh air inlet was for the fireplace, he noticed Jordan's old drum set in the corner and asked if "Max" would be willing to sell it to him for his son. Somehow my kids had been invited over to Benoit's place for a BBQ a few years ago and he had got it into his head that "Max" was my son. I told him I would check with Jordan, who said to just give it to him. So Benoit is delighted, I'm going to get the masonry work done for free and I should be able to heat my home this winter once all is said and done, power cut or no power cut! It's been like pulling teeth trying to coordinate masons/plumbers/tilers/fireplace installers, but seems it might just be true - maybe the tortoise does get there in the end!


23 comments:

  1. That's a big update. Your sister and the pictures, wow. Making a book from them will be a good gift. I'm happy Jen and Jordan are able to make their employment work to such satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty sad about that sister - we haven't spoken since mom died in 2016, but that's her choice and not ours. The even sadder part is that there was NEVER an argument. We were always a very solid family! In fact at dad's funeral my brother asked why she didn't keep in touch and all she could say was "I don't know"! I realized quite late in life that she didn't like me/was jealous of me, probably because I "stole her thunder" by being born after her. I don't know. It doesn't make sense but we've all given up trying now. Still, it's sad isn't it. And yes I'm thrilled for Jordan and Jen. During the dark days of lockdowns etc. I know they were worried, but FINALLY things seem to be sorting themselves, even though they've both changed jobs since then!

      Delete
  2. Everything is taking longer to get done now. My husband's truck has been in the shop for 5 weeks waiting on a part. They just got it Friday and called to say it will be ready Monday. Better late than never I guess right?
    Glad things are slowly but surely coming together for you. Especially the heat for the winter. That must be a HUGE relief to you.
    The situation with your sister sounds like my brother. Sad but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the fire insert they told me not before March because they can't get the part, but then I've lived without it for so long it doesn't bother me. Still, it will be nice to get that done too since open fireplaces are now illegal and who knows what will happen with the energy situation. And I'm sorry you have a similar situation with your brother. We can't understand her attitude towards us or towards our parents when they were alive, but I think we've finally given up trying to understand now. As you say, what else can you do!

      Delete
  3. Seven years on a battery? That's excellent! I do all of my financials on my computer. I use my phone for many things, but my banking stays at home. That is a spectacular view. When the leaves are the the trees, I can see the capital building in downtown Harrisburg. I'd rather have the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the battery was almost 7 years old because the last one conked out on me the day before I left for St. Lucia so as the Green Giant said, it really didn't owe me anything did it. And I'm like you. My banking gets done on the computer, not the phone. I still don't trust the phone completely and I prefer the large screen for banking. As for the library - well really the old town - while it's VERY small there's just an atmosphere about the place that I love, even though I would probably go nuts if I had to live there!

      Delete
  4. Yes! This is a lot of news and most all of it very good. You were able to solve and fix problems that had arisen and I like hearing that. It DOES take persistence, doesn't it?
    What a beautiful little village. I think I would be tempted to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nothing if not persistent - hence the tortoise reference - so I'm hoping I can get all this work done and then fill the coffers back up! And you're right, it is lovely round here. I've been in my home 32 years now and I still love the atmosphere in town!

      Delete
  5. Glad everything is a-ok with the car, and glad the new battery is all sorted. Hope the critters stop using your stuff for housing! I am glad you have all the pictures - my Great Aunt passed and her grandson did a lovely montage with pictures from like the 1930a,40s and on. Two of my sisters have a rocky relationship and it makes me sad, life is too short to not keep family close, but sometimes it happens even with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have the photos too as I'm sentimental enough to do something with them. But you're right, it IS sad when family "falls out" (although what we've "fallen out" over nobody knows). Life's really too short, but what can we do!

      Delete
  6. Car trouble, even someone else's car trouble, freaks me out!

    And family ... you can't pick 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm concerned cars should be like diamonds and appreciate in value!!! I take care of my car so I'm hooping I can hang on to this one for a few more years yet but who knows. As for family, it makes me sad because we are generally a close family - we just can't understand what went wrong. Oh well!

      Delete
  7. Jre I just love seeing the beautiful scenery and hearing about your home remodeling updates! I’m mostly retired now and at the least need two bathroom remodels but I just shut down when I think about them! Also here in the US it can still be hard to line up available tradesman. What really struck me was about your sister. Mine quit talking to me about 5 months ago. We live an hour away, she’s done this twice before but I just kept open and she started calling back. We used to talk at least 4 times a week. I’m not even sure why, just a tirade and hang up… also with my other sister but she has since called her. She’s said how I’ve always, not liked her, treated when we were kids….. per my sister (I always thought we were fine) but finally moving on but it’s hard. The first few months were. How do you manage that without hurt feelings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all been very hurt by this sister's attitude, all the more so since we all pitched in and helped her out when her husband showed himself to be the AH he really is. The weird thing is that when we got together (at dad's funeral in 2005) things were fine - good even. Then as soon as she went back to Denmark, not a peep from her - not even to mom! When mom died we had decided we wouldn't bother letting her know since she obviously didn't care, but my nephew took it upon himself to call her and she came over for the funeral in 2016. And since then? Bugger all yet again. So when our brother died in 2019, even my nephew said he wasn't bothering with her again. It's hard because we all care but what can you do. I personally just compartmentalize her out of my life now but I will never understand why this ever happened!

      Delete
  8. Tortoise? Do you ever sit still and, when they’re finished, can you send those tradespeople over here? We struggle so much to find people to who’ll quote let alone do the job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say maybe a few years ago it would have been difficult to get trades people too but now, I guess post-pandemic, it seems to be easier. I'll let you know when the work is done though!

      Delete
  9. Murphy's law with the battery dying right after you cancelled, but all's well that ends well.
    I think everyone everywhere is waiting for something that is a supply chain issue. Thankfully most of the things I would like to have done can wait.
    I am sorry about your sister's absence from your lives. What can you say? It is her loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me personally I haven't noticed supply chain issues that much but I'm sure they exist so I feel for any professionals trying to work around that. And as for my sister - yep, I think we've just accepted that that's just the way it's gonna be, however sad that might be!

      Delete
  10. 7 years out of a car battery is pure great luck. My car will be 5 years old early January and I have been contemplating whether I should be proactive to have the battery changed. I have decided to wait a little longer. With my last car, I came back home from a business trip and my car's battery was dead at the airport parking. The battery was only 5 years old at the time. I had to deal with that on a winter night. Wasn't fun. As for the wood burning stove, I am sure you will love it. I do not know what kind of wood you can get but, the scent and the crackling and popping of wood burning brings memories of my grandparent's home in my early childhood. Then they switched to a gas burner and the magic was no more. My American friends have a pellet stove and that is pretty efficient as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever been proactive about changing my battery - more a case of "just bury my head in the sand" kinda thing, but yes I was lucky. As for the fireplace, I'm getting an insert which will go into my fireplace but I didn't want pellets, even though my neighbours were saying how great they are. The thing is, their pellet stove still needs electricity to run so I made the decision to get wood logs so that I will never be dependent on electricity AND because I already have a ton of logs in the basement. I've just got to work up the courage to use the my new chain saw on it!!!! Wish me luck!

      Delete
  11. I don't talk to one of my sisters because of how she treated mum before mum died. She's just mean but it's wrapped up in religion, so it must be okay. I don't need that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad died in 2005 and I think the only contact she initiated was once when she wanted to bring the kids to England for a holiday!!!! No calls to mom, no cards no nothing! Then since mom died in 2016 absolutely nothing - which is why we never told her when our brother died. She must have known because we posted on FB and her kids use FB but still no reaction. Sad isn't it, but sometimes it's just best to cut those ties altogether!

      Delete