The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Tuesday 9 February 2016

I had forgotten how pretty Wales is!

While going to the funeral of a loved one is never a happy time of course, I have to admit how good it was to see North Wales again after - oh it must be almost 30 years! I can't believe it. I know I went when I was pregnant with my oldest and he will be 29 this year but I hadn't realized exactly how long ago it was, and just how pretty it is. Of course the weather was dreadful but - hey - you don't go to Wales for the weather and there is a reason it's so green.

Luckily I was able to get on a flight to Liverpool at short notice and my nephew, who lives just 15 minutes from the airport, was able to meet me and drag me round the rail system. For someone who has travelled a lot, I hold my hand up to being pretty useless when it comes to trains in whichever country!

My brother lives in Conwy and the view as we crossed the bridge of the castle and Conwy quai was just stunning.


Conwy
Later that day my older sister and her family arrived. We had a few emotional moments but all in all we held it together pretty well I thought. In order to leave my brother and his family in peace for a while, we then made our way to our B & B in Llandudno, and again I was amazed at how pretty it is.


Llandudno
My gran and my uncle owned boarding houses in Betws-y-Coed and, coming from Birmingham, I understand now why I always spent my summer holidays in either Betws or Conwy.

Betws

Our B & B in Llandudno was very nice, although having to lug my suitcase up three floors (no lift you see) I realized, yet again, how unfit I am.  But the owners were very friendly and the full English breakfast an absolute treat - Weight Watchers be damned! Later that night we went out to dinner in a local restaurant, which had formerly found fame as a theatre - what a lovely place to have dinner.


And I have to say, compared to prices over here, it felt like they were virtually giving the food away - and again it was of excellent quality!  After we decided to take a walk along Llandudno's promenade. We held up for about an hour but I think the prospect of losing our noses to frostbite finally got the better of us.

Of course the next day we had the funeral. My brother had chosen very beautiful music ("oh mio babbino caro" - not sure of the spelling - and a lovely Maori song - which was also very beautiful). And while it was for all the wrong reasons, it was lovely to see how many friends and relatives had made the trip up to North Wales to pay their respects - some of whom I hadn't seen for 30 or 40 years. A fitting tribute to a lovely lady.


Next day I had to head back to Liverpool for my flight back to Geneva. I wasn't too thrilled about flying in such windy weather but I have to admit it went well and I made it back late in the evening. It's strange how life can turn on a dime though - one minute all is well with the world and the next - well - all is no longer well!

2 comments:

  1. That would have been lovely but .... it was just a flying visit. Next time? Scotch eggs on me?

    ReplyDelete