The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 12 October 2024

It's been a couple of weeks (again)!

Looking at my posting history I see that I'm only posting approximately every two weeks (unless I've just come back from holiday I guess), so you can probably tell life is just wending along in its usual very routine way! There's nothing wrong with that of course as long as (in my opinion) I'm not wasting too much time on the computer going down rabbit holes. First thing I usually do when I get up is read a few blogs and then see what's happening in the news, although I sometimes wonder about doing that too as there might be a good case to be made for "if you can't do anything about it, why not leave it where it is"! When I was still working I would put Sky News UK on while I was getting breakfast but I just heard tonight that (allegedly) they are shutting down!!! If that's true I'm afraid I can easily see why. They went from being a pretty decent news outlet (in my opinion) to absolutely biased one-sided crap so I was happy to drop them when I disconnected my TV three years ago now. That being said Sky News Australia are great and can also be very funny, so I have to wonder how two news outlets seem to have fared so differently!

Mind you, the other day the death of a Youtube "personality" during a muckbang came across my news feed. I mean, have you any idea what a muckbang is? For those of you with dirty minds ha ha, because it is apparently an "event" where the person buys a ton of food and then films themselves gorging on it! Seriously? Are people that desperate for fame that they would stoop this low? I understand that some people have an eating disorder but I think in so many of these cases they have a "fame hunger" disorder instead. This young woman was either from Japan or Korea (I can't remember now) and gorged herself to such an extent that her stomach burst and she died! How sad is that, and what a waste of young life!

In other news, last Saturday 12 of us went out to lunch to celebrate the three Libran birthdays in the family (me, Jen's mom and Jen). It was a really nice (if loud) time, and as I was walking back to Jordan and Jen's place with André for birthday cake, he was telling me that his mates were pushing him to ask the Israeli girl he knows out. It's quite obvious that they both like each other very much, religion would never be a problem (I lived with a Muslim for five years and our different religions were never an issue), but he was also quite enjoying his single guy life too. I haven't heard from him since but we'll see how that plays out, I guess!

When we got back to their place, Jordan discovered that their cat (Lenni the Horrible Cat) had caught a small lizard on the balcony and bitten its tail off, so we were faced with the bizarre task of trying to catch a wriggling tail-less lizard and another wriggling body-less tail. My suggestion to put the tail into the double cream to whip it up to go with dessert didn't go down too well, unfortunately!

I had to drive into Geneva the other week for my bi-annual mammogram (always fun) at the very modern hospital with about five parking places the size of a Mini Cooper. Of course if you were lucky enough to find a parking place you'd still probably have to climb out through the trunk of your car but even so, it would probably be a good enough omen to go buy a lottery ticket! I finally figured out the best way to get there on public transport was to catch a bus from the border into central Geneva and then a tram back out towards the border which stopped at the hospital. Much more efficient, but afterwards I just decided to walk back to the border to the parking garage as it was only about a 45 minute walk if you're not in a hurry. Years ago, when I was working in D.C., I remember reading about an older lady in the poorer part of D.C. who got so tired of waiting for public transport that she just started walking everywhere instead and never stopped. I'm not so sure how advisable that would be nowadays but she certainly looked as slim and graceful as some of those African tribespeople you see pictured in glossy magazines, so maybe there's something to be said for this walking business!

With that in mind, a couple of ladies at sewing club mentioned that there was going to be an event in the local village to raise money for October Rose (do they call it Pink October in English?), the charity movement that supports breast cancer sufferers. Two of our ladies have had cancer and indeed one is still wearing what I would call a "skull cap" or beanie to cover her hair loss, so she asked if we would be up for making a few beanies to donate to the local hospital. They have to be very soft because apparently it is difficult to wear anything on your head if you've just lost your hair, so the club bought several metres of soft fabric and for two weeks we have kinda set up a production line and had made around 50 at last count. I was shocked when they told me that these things go for between €40 and €60 so I was really glad she asked us to do that. Moreover on the day we hand them over there will be an 8 km walk (not sponsored - they make their money from the food and drinks set up) so a few of us will be doing that also!

The production line!

Then the other day my favourite neighbour came round and asked if I would mind terribly taking her to a hospital appointment near the Swiss border to see the anaesthesiologist (sp?) for an upcoming operation as she's too afraid to drive on the motorway. So I'll be taking her (quite happily) to that appointment, plus her operation and to drop her car off in town at the garage. When I mentioned this to my other friend she told me to give her a call if ever she was stuck as she would be happy to help out too! My life doesn't have the fullest schedule as you can see so between us I'm sure we can sort it out! This is the lady who lost her husband in March of this year and can you believe she has only just received her first widow's pension - after six months!!! I think that's scandalous as she is in her 70s and not working, but she has always been very good with money and was always able to squirrel money away "just in case". Given how bad her late husband (the bank manager?) was with money I'm actually not surprised she always handled the money and was able to make it, even despite my other neighbour and I both offering to help out!

And finally today was the day Charlie's school had organized the "cross country run" to raise money for student activites. As I said above, they don't make money from these events by having you get people to sponsor you (which I always hated), but on the food and drinks. The younger children were asked to go in costume, so Charlie went as the fastest creature known to man - the panda!!


The younger children had just one circuit of a flat route to run and surprise of surprises, Charlie actually won it - not that he was that bothered as he was more excited by the packet of mini Smarties they all got when they crossed the finish line!

The little girl in second place is
his best friend - and just as 
loud as him!

There were about 10 races in all, getting progressively more difficult with the age of the children. Everyone cheered everyone on, but I think the loudest cheers were for the kids who came in last, and quite rightly so. I had thought about volunteering to run with them but since the later races involved running downhill to the parking lot and then back up again, I'm so glad I didn't offer! At the end they sprung a surprise on the four teachers and the school's director and asked the five older ladies to run with the last kids. I'm not so sure how much of it they ran, but they were good sports and all five crossed the finish line holding hands - and in last place! It was a lovely morning and I offered to walk back down to Jordan and Jen's apartment rather than trying to squeeze into a space between two car seats. It wasn't a long or difficult walk and since I'm going to walk into town (and maybe back up) tomorrow to see an art exhibitioin at the château, and maybe do the same later in the week to pick up my new French passport, who knows, keep this up and I too may soon start looking like an African tribeswoman!


The château in St. Jeoire


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like life is keeping you busy but in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I don't like being frantic as guess what, you really can slow down in retirement, even if it took me a long time to! But having too little to do also has serious downsides for me at least as I get lazy!

      Delete
  2. Sky's owned by Murdoch, and from I've been seeing there's quite the feud going on between he and his children, who want to take the news business away from him because it's gone to shit in so many places. Pandas are Great! Unfortunately they do tend to drop and roll rather than run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh of course, that would explain why Sky News UK is so shit now and Sky News Australia is so good! And the panda outfit must have really motivated him because he did nothing but keep running the circuit afterwards but at least they all had tons of fun!

      Delete
  3. You really do a lot for your community and family. I admire that very much.
    What a darling little panda you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to, but to be fair it's usually someone else that does the pushing! I'm just happy to be there with a broom! And yep I love that little panda more every day!

      Delete