The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Friday 3 March 2023

Better late than never!

I had an ok week this week - not exactly over-productive but not bad either. I did manage a walk from Thyez to Cluses with my friend, stopping in Cluses for lunch - so that probably negated any calorie burn-off but it was nice just to be out in the sunshine. One thing that surprised me yet again, though, is that at the restaurant we had to pull up the menu via the QR code on the table!!!!! That's the second time in two weeks that that has happened. I don't know if this is the norm now or maybe it's just that I don't get out so much. I guess in a way it's a saving for the restaurant, but at least they did have physical menus too. Still, I'm finding all this new-fangled stuff very strange! I also made it to yoga and the gym (which is still very namby-pamby) so hopefully I will start getting into more of a rhythm soon!

I still haven't finished painting my bathrooms - I can't be arsed to be honest - but there's not much left to do so I'm aiming to get the walls and the radiators finished this week. Still no word on when the bathroom fittings will arrive, although hopefully it won't be too much longer (not that I'm looking forward to the mess though)! 

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd gone out and bought quite a bit of stuff from the freezer place, only to have to face up to what a hideous state my two upright freezers in the basement were in. So over a period of about five hours with scraper and hairdryer I've managed to get both freezers defrosted and - I'm ashamed to say - threw out five 30 litre trash bags of very old stuff! It's shameful actually because (a) I should never have let them get into that state and (b) throwing away food is just bad, but at least they're done now! Still, I'm finally getting to use up all those old, tatty clothes that I always kept for "someday when I'm going to be doing some serious painting/sorting"!

Last Thursday I drove into Geneva to have dinner with a former colleague, and while it's always lovely to see him, gosh I really don't miss that commute, even if going on former experience, traffic was just "normal"!

Jordan and Jen took a few days off and drove with Jen's mom up to see grandma and grandpap in Lorraine (northern France). They were thrilled to see Charlie, of course, but Jen said he's started with the terrible twos (he'll be two on 28 March) and his favourite answer seems to be "non" at the moment! When they got back we had our latest board game evening at Jen's mom's and while we weren't very many, we played a couple of games that I really enjoyed (not too French oriented) and I actually won one (yay me)!

André is off to Thailand for work on Sunday and, as I mentioned before, he's flying business class with Emirates (jammy bugger). Or, as he puts it, "free champagne and a full length bed"! He seems to be looking at about a six hour flight to Abu Dhabi, a few hours layover, then around another six hour flight to Bangkok, so I'm betting he'll sleep most of the way. Both my kids (and Charlie) could sleep for Britain so I'm sure it'll be no hardship. He's going to take a few extra days after the conference to explore Bangkok and sit by the swimming pool, so maybe if he gets to start travelling for work a little he might feel more settled and less inclined to "chuck it all in and live on a sail boat" which - never having sailed before in his life (although he's planning to learn this summer) - doesn't sound like the best thought out plan to me, but who am I to say! Just thinking about Thailand though is giving me itchy feet to travel somewhere more long haul next spring! Time to give that some thought, I think!

And finally, last night five of us got to use the Christmas present I bought for everyone - a ticket to the theatre in Geneva to see The Lion King! It was a bit hit and miss at the beginning because Jordan and Jen were coming straight from work and I think Jordan got a shock at just how bad rush hour traffic in Geneva is. My friend and I drove to the border and caught the bus and André, being André, went to work, stopped in at the pub after work and then had to run down to the theatre to get here before the performance started but only after I'd called him telling him he'd better not be late! Before the performance started I thought I'd better go to the loo so put my ticket in my coat pocket, came out of the ladies' - and couldn't find my bloody ticket! As I dashed back into the ladies' room a young girl asked me if I was looking for my ticket because she'd picked it up in the corrider! Phew - and here's me telling André not to make us late! Then when I saw the stage I realized that it wasn't - as I had thought - the Broadway stage performance, but rather the Elton John/Hans Zimmer musical performance. I was disappointed, and a little worried that the others would be too, but what could I do? And then the artists walked on stage and started singing in German and I thought "oh sh*t, this is going to be a disaster"! But it turns out they only sang a few tidbits in German and then the rest was either in English or whatever African language the rest of the songs were in - and they were brilliant! There was a huge animated screen behind the orchestra, the music was loud and full of energy, Jen was bopping around, the boys were mesmerized by the orchestra (the drummer in particular - Jordan's a drummer) and my friend and I were singing along like a pair of right old Derby and Joans! The conductor was Stephen Ellery and he was bouncing all over the stage, obviously enjoying himself tremendously, and after picking up a sax played along to Can You Feel The Love Tonight!

Stephen Ellery

We all thoroughly enjoyed it, and, having watched a little of the Broadway show, I think I actually preferred this version. It always amazes me how many talented people there are out there! As we left I reminded Jordan of the time when as a young kid he'd looked at me and said how lucky I was to have such beautiful hair. Huh??? And then he said "yeah, you look just like Simba in The Lion King! Hey, I'll take compliments where I can get them! And then André and Jen got into arguing about when the film was originally released (1994 if you're wondering) and André got it right because he remembers when I picked him up from school one day and held out a video (or DVD - who knows) of the film and he ran over and hugged me, he was so happy. I don't remember that at all, but it's good to know isn't it!

Anyhow, with the years my hair seems to be getting darker oddly enough so I no longer look like Simba, but those aforementioned itchy feet of mine have got me thinking about maybe Thailand, or Mexico - or how about Botswana in the spring? A wimba wap, a wimba wap, in the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight ....!

Elton John/Hans Zimmer's The Lion King!



28 comments:

  1. The Lion King really does have good music, and I was thinking just last week, how many people really get to see an orchestra. And QR codes to get the menu? That really does seem odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lion King wasn't my favourite Disney movie but it has definitely grown on me over the years. And you're right, the music is excellent! As for the QR codes, I take it that's not "a thing" (yet) in the US then?

      Delete
  2. Oh I love live music, the concert sounds amazing. I too am jealous of André!!! He is going to have a blast and he deserves it. Your trips are right around the corner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a great concert goer unles I know I love the music, but Geneva has hosted some pretty good performers. I suppose if I went to Zurich or Paris (or even flew to London) I'd have a bigger selection, so who knows, I just might do that. It really was an outstanding concert so if you ever get the chance go for it. Oh and I'm definitely getting itchy feet after so long without travelling. There's just so much world to see before I can't do it anymore!

      Delete
  3. A lot of places here in the US used the menu QR codes after during COVID so the menus didn't have to be cleaned after every use.
    I saw The Lon King on Broadway, though I am not much of a Disney fan, but loved the spectacle and the imagination of costumes and sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the QR code business during covid but I find it somewhat clinical now and prefer browsing through a menu, although that's obviously not my decision to make. And lucky you - Broadway!!! To be honest, I think if a show makes it to Broadway you won't fail to be thrilled by it. The kids wanted to go to see it on Broadway when they were in New York a few years ago but at over $300 a ticket they couldn't afford it so "settled" for Mary Poppins instead - and ended up raving about it too!

      Delete
  4. It must feel so good to know what is in your freezer now you've gotten rid of everything that doesn't spark joy! A new slate! And I'm so pleased you got to wear those old clothes you've been saving for an occasion:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I'm ashamed of what I chucked out, you're right, at least now I can get better organized and not waste so much!

      Delete
  5. The musical sounds fun. We have a funny story with the Lion King movie and my dd when she was around 2 or 3. She kept saying this saying "stupidlittle po-ches". and then dropped the "stupid". We tried for a good year to figure out what she meant, LOL. My dh even started calling her little po-ches. Fast forward a couple years ago and we were rewatching the movie and the scene with the hyenas and they said "stupid little poachers". I looked over at dd and said "little po-ches?" and she said yes! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so funny (and cute)! For the longest time my BIL used to sing "home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantalope roam"!

      Delete
  6. Throwing out food that is not really edible is not wasting it! Good job, lady!
    Sounds like a wonderful evening at the theater. What a lovely Christmas present you gave your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I felt guilty about the food but I'm pleased to say everything is now sorted (and catalogued in a Word document - anally-retentive much)? And yes we had a wonderful time - we were all buzzing afterwards!

      Delete
  7. I understand the appeal of a QR code for the restaurants, but if I am going to have to use one I would just as soon call in the order, pick it up and have it at home.
    It is kind of like a baby shower I went to recently. They had a basket of envelopes with an enclosure card and want you to address your envelope and fill out what your gift was to save the new mother time in writing and addressing thank you notes. No way! I had just as soon not get one as to have to write my own.
    I join you in the freezer excess/neglect. I had planned on defrosting mine Friday but life interfered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I found the QR codes very clinical and in any case "fiddly" (I hate doing stuff on my phone). I do my banking on my computer because I find the phone screen too small. I also agree with you about the RSVP envelopes at the baby shower. While it may save time and work I do think it's going a bit too far. And talking of freezers, as I pointed out to Ms Moon above, everything is now sorted, the freezers cleaned AND I listed everything I have in them (plus dates) in a Word document. I've gone from "hopeless" to "Martha Stewart" in five hours!!! Now there can be no more excuses for wasting food can there!

      Delete
  8. We saw the Lion King (elton john/hans zimmer version) in London when it first came out. Nobody could believe we were lucky enough to get tickets, there was months waiting lists however I walked straight into the booking office (in front of a huge queue which I assumed were people picking up tickets!) and asked in my best flirty manner (it was a while ago lol) if there was any chance of seeing the show this very evening and would you believe he said yes, if you're willing to stand! We got two tickets to stand at the back of the stalls for £10 each!! I was overjoyed and hubby was amazed and embarrassed in equal parts lol. We absolutely loved it, the puppetry was amazing as was the music. I'm glad you enjoyed yours. Going to the theatre is usually a nice experience. I'm only just getting to grips with QR codes too. I'm always amazed when they work lol. I hope you get some travelling done. I've no urge to go anywhere but Australia at the moment. Hopefully next year though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo anonymous in Scotland. Well done you on getting those tickets! And £10???? I paid 96 Swiss francs a head and there was no puppetry, just an animated screen behind the performers! I've always had a good experience at the theatre but some shows are better than others of course. This was one of the best though! And I hope you get to Australia soon although goodness knows I wouldn't relish that flight!

      Delete
  9. I just spotted as I pressed send I am apparently commenting as Anonymous! If that is indeed the case I was the comment who'd been to the other Lion King a long time ago lol. Marksgran x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate using my phone for things, so I hope that does not catch on here any time soon. I'm glad you enjoyed The Lion King with your family. It sounds like it was a marvelous performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like doing stuff on my phone either and having to scan a QR code for your menu just doesn't seem kosher to me somehow so I really hope it doesn't go too far. And you're right, it was a brilliant evening and I can highly recommend the show!

      Delete
  11. How do people with no phone do anything these days. I enjoyed your Lion King adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely!!!! I don't like doing too much on my phone (my friend lost hers and was in big trouble for banking etc.)! My brother who died a couple of years ago didn't have one and the other brother never uses it because he messes it up all the time!

      Delete
  12. Yes, the first film I took my then three year old to the cinema to see. I was in tears. I've only seen the Broadway version onstage - a matinee performance filled with a very elderly audience, but a trip with the family and a sing along too sounds marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great to take kids to the theatre/cinema as hopefully it sparks a love - or at least an interest. I was six when mom took us to see Mary Poppins and I floated out of there and still remember it with absolute joy!

      Delete
  13. Sorry - just realised I’ve mistakenly commented anonymously telling you about taking my 3 year old to the cinema for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - I don't mind anonymous comments (as long as they're not rude)!!! How's that grandbaby doing????

      Delete
    2. At one week, not quite ready for the Lion King but totally gorgeous!

      Delete
    3. I don't doubt it for one minute!

      Delete