The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Sunday 14 April 2024

Sometimes it feels like my feet never touch the ground - and I don't even work anymore!!!

Crikey, if I don't finish writing up the end of my trip to Thailand soon I'm sure I'll forget half of it - and I don't want to do that! That being said, I was away again this weekend and between coming back from Thailand and going away this weekend it feels like my feet haven't touched the ground! I went a bit mad and made a ton of appointments - you know, the kind that keep getting put on the "to do list" and then nothing gets done about them. Well eventually I get mad at myself and must have made 10 appointments (winter tyres, dentist, optician etc.) in the space of 15 minutes. That'll teach me to let things slip, I guess!

I had just gotten back from picking my car up when my gardener showed up for the first time this year. He comes and goes as and when possible and as long as I'm up for continuing to have him cut my grass, we just take up where we left off. I must admit everywhere looked really nice once he'd left as I had pressure sprayed the back patio area just last week. Then Jen asked if I could look after Charlie for a few hours on Friday as she needed to go out and Jordan hadn't arrived home from work yet. No problem there. We went out to the park and then were playing "balloons" on the balcony, when the inevitable happened and it ended up landing in the park below. But just as we were about to go down to pick it up, the older lady who lives on the ground floor yelled up that she would put it in the lift and send it up! I get the impression most of the older folks are enjoying having young children around playing in the park again (as one of them already told me), and I thought it was very sweet of her to send Charlie his balloon back! I'm also trying to keep up the English with him after their trip to the States, but I'm not sure how much is sinking in because every time I ask him something he just says "oui" so I don't really know how much he is understanding!

Anyway, Friday after work was our time to set off to enjoy the Christmas present that Jen's mom, C, and her partner, F, had bought for us all. Her mom paid for an air BnB for seven of us for two nights and F paid for us all to get into a lovely little theme park about 90 minutes away called Walibi! I've been to Walibi a few times but not recently, so it was a real treat to go there again. It's not big like Disney but I much prefer it, and even with some of the attractions being closed off or under maintenance, it was still lovely. So on Friday night we arrived at a very rustic air BnB about 15 minutes from Walibi which was really lovely. Very simple, dead quiet and seemingly capable of accommodating maybe 12 people if necessary. By the time we got there it was already quite late so we had dinner, sat around and chatted for a while, and then all hit the sack around 11 p.m. in order to be on form for the next day!

Now I'm guessing this was probably the first weekend of open season but the car park was pretty full, probably something to do with it being spring holidays in this region and great weather. Charlie was too small to do quite a few of the rides and Jen was also limited because of being pregnant, but everyone had a good time and what one person thought was "a great ride" others said would make them want to throw up, and vice versa. I wouldn't go on a roller coaster ride because I don't like being thrown forward, but anything that spins me round and round - no problem, although those bloody pictures that they take of you on the rides always showed me with my face screwed up and looking like I was facing a firing squad!

Charlie's favourite ride!

I would have gone on this one, but
nobody wanted to go with me at the time!


No way was I shooting up in the
air in that thing!



I did the log flume with my two sons.
I was sitting at the back and they both
ducked when we hit the water so I got soaked!
I seem to remember saying something derogatory
about their parentage! (Photo curtesy of google)!

Charlie did this one with us - he wasn't too
sure at first but he hung in there! Again, a
google photo!

Jordan did this one on his own. I
probably would have thrown up!
Another google photo - it just went
by so fast I couldn't catch it!

We stayed at the park until closing time, went home and ate and since I had missed Charlie's birthday when he was in the States, the kids brought his French gifts with them so he got to blow candles out a second time and play on his new bike! We left after lunch today and while we were only away for two nights, it feels like I was gone for a week, so maybe a change really is as a good as a rest. It did bring home to me, though, that you really don't have to go very far in France to be able to get off the beaten track and still enjoy some beautiful scenery! I'll have to give some thought to maybe booking a small place a bit later in the year - but first I've got to repack shortly because I'm off to Corsica at the end of next week. Having all these trips one after another was beyond my control - but then I wouldn't have it any other way!




 

14 comments:

  1. Just lovely. I really need to find a dog and cat friendly place for all four of us and pets to get away to. My daughter travels next month and things are up in the air with the other two, but something to at least research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if this place would have accepted animals but I imagine it says on the air BnB site. It also wasn't very expensive, I guess because it was really in the middle of nowhere. Oh there was Walibi nearby and a couple of beautiful towns but it wasn't a tourist destination as such. I hope you find something - it will do you the world of good, as we all know we never rest when we're at home, don't we!

      Delete
  2. Charlie is such a cutie! When does he become a big brother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby's due date is 2 September but I don't think anyone expects her to go that far. Mind you, being nine months pregnant in August is hell!

      Delete
  3. The park looks like it was a lot of fun, even the one that shoots you up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Walibi and while it can get busy, as I say, it isn't Disney. They also had one of those "infernal totems" for younger kids. I probably could have managed that one!

      Delete
  4. What a fun weekend! And what a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice doing things as a family, and to be honest doesn't an awful lot of that depend on the DIL!!! To give Jen her due, she's usually the one proposing this stuff - but we all get to enjoy it! And yes it was fun as I really like Walibi!

      Delete
  5. Omg busy bee indeed! I love the theme park, it seems like a lot of fun. I haven't been to one in ages but my nieces are getting up to the age of enjoying parks etc - it's so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this park in particular because it's only 90 minutes away and is relatively small and therefore (relatively) quiet. We still had to wait of course but it was great fun all in all. My kids keep nagging at me to go to Europapark, which also isn't that far away and they say it's the best one they've been to. Who knows, maybe I will!

      Delete
  6. It looks like such a fun family trip. Loved the pictures. It certainly DOES depend on the in-law SO much. My brother is back to his old self after 20+ years now that the wife is gone and I couldn't be happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your commenting about your brother before and how much happier he is now. To be honest, I know a few cases where the DIL (though not always the DIL, of course) can rip a family apart. And if it was a previously happy family that's so sad!

      Delete
  7. You are certainly getting lots of adventures. I like rides that go around, but roller coasters and Ferris wheels are out, nothing too high for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same as you - no roller coasters and anything that throws me forward. It was a fun weekend though!

      Delete