The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 20 April 2024

Ca ira!

"Ca ira" means "that'll do" in English, and I'm at that stage with my bathroom renovations. Well actually, I'm pretty much like that with everything (my attempts at patchwork can testify to that)! Anyhoo, the plumber came back earlier this week as he wanted to install the shower screen in the larger bathroom, leave the tiler to finish his bit, and then attack the smaller bathroom. I mentioned before that as my wall is not a perfect vertical, there is a tiny (less than half a cm) gap between the bottom of the shower and the wall which he said I should get the tiler to "fill in" to make it look better. Frankly at this point I couldn't care less about aesthetics and in any case I knew it would be hidden by the shelving unit I intended to put there so I told him not to worry about it as ça ira! He wasn't happy about that but seriously it would take another plumber to spot it (so Jordan will probably notice it), and of course if the tiler wants to do something with it so be it, but at this point I just wanted to start moving stuff back into the bathroom and getting things sorted. While it isn't completely finished (I have to get window dressings and clean up some of the paintwork) I'm so happy with my new bathroom. I had thought it might end up looking a bit like a sanatorium, but nope, I'm good with it. So now onto the smaller bathroom which hopefully won't take so long to complete - but in any case, as long as they put the toilet in immediately I can live with it because ça ira!

Before - excuse the mess but I
never used that bath!

After - could probably do with
a bit more colour but I'm working
on it!


Before!

After!

In other news, when I was heading over to Jordan and Jen's last Friday to take care of Charlie, about five minutes into my journey an older lady flagged me down, asking if I had a mobile phone as there was "a man lying on the ground down in the woods"! She was coming up from a woodland path so I told her I would park up and headed back into the woods to join her. There was a man, probably in his 40s, lying on the ground. I tried tapping his cheek and speaking gently to him but got no response - and then we spotted that he was lying on top of a pile of beer cans! At this point another man joined us saying that he had called an ambulance and while it was seemingly quite obvious that he was passed out drunk, the ambulance came out anyway and, I presume, took him to hospital! Quite the drama, although I hate to think what might have happened to him if he'd still been lying out in the woods when night fell!

Getting back to Thailand, on our penultimate day a few of us talked to our guide about setting up a trip to an elephant sanctuary, rather than just spending the day on the beach. So she set that up for us and it was great. Being a sanctuary there was obviously no riding on the elephants and at that time they were only looking after four older females. They didn't work with males with tourists because they are more aggressive, but I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to meet any babies (like André did). Still it was fun, with about 30 tourists "sharing" three of the elephants who spontaneously wandered down to the stream when they realized we were there. We all made up a kind of protein ball (think something about the size of a baseball) and each fed two of them and a couple of bananas to whichever elephant took our fancy (they actually seem to inhale, rather than "eat"), after being given strict instructions that if the elephant wanted to go in x direction it was up to us to get out of their way, not the other way around - though seriously, who would want to argue with an elephant????


After that we got into the stream with them, caked them in mud (to help keep them cool) and when that dried we rinsed them off and scrubbed them down. From there we had to walk about a mile through the woods to a watering hole where we were invited to get into the water with them and "hose them down". I didn't bother going in the water with them as I figured, rightly, that a few people would monopolize the elephants, but I was happy anyway. I just wish I had been able to get a picture of our little group following the elephants through the woods to the watering hole - it was like a scene out of Jungle Book, but I wasn't quick enough - I just got a picture of the last elephant's bum!



When we got back we all headed out to dinner together and I finally dropped off my copy of The Power of Now in one of those freebie bookshelves they have in all the hotels. I tried four times to read that book and four times I failed so I decided to let someone else suffer for their sins. I was done!

Just one more day to write up on Thailand now, but that can wait until the next time!




24 comments:

  1. That elephant encounter sounds so amazing! I have always found them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to meet an angry elephant though! Mind you, I'm sooooo tempted to take up the offer of joining up with C (the Welsh nurse) in Namibia in order to see some African elephants (and all the other wonderful wildlife)! I can't even begin to imagine how big they must be!

      Delete
  2. I love the after bathroom with the shower and that fabulous floor tile! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I hesitated a bit when the lady told me the wall tiles were called "Paris Metro" (kinda conjured up thoughts of stale pee) and black and white REALLY isn't my thing, but I've long since learned to go with my original choices. And I'm so glad I did as I'm really pleased with it!

      Delete
  3. Your bathroom is a far cry more impressive than my new bathrooms. The tiling is gorgeous. The elephant sanctuary was quite an experience for you. Yes, I'd let them have a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon we did the old bathrooms about 30 years ago and they were sooooo tired. Problem was I really didn't know where to start with it all (hence it took so long) but I got there in the end. As you can probably guess, I have a thing about "mosaic" (North African to me) at the moment. Just hope I don't get tired of it too soon. And yes, I'm so glad we asked for the elephant sanctuary visit as it was a real treat. I'm just a bit surprised it wasn't on the original schedule and we had to ask for it!

      Delete
  4. Sanatorium? You mean sterile like a hospital or clinic? I can imagine that is easily fixed by a little decorating.

    Subway tiles will stand the test of time. I think there is something to be done to the grout to keep it from getting grimy looking.

    I would never had gone into the woods with a strange woman to see a strange man. I would have called from my car.

    That was quite and adventure with the elephants. Going in with them to put mud on them and wash it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sterile looking - but I'm pleased with the end result, thankfully. As for the man who had collapsed, if you were walking along the road you could see him so it wasn't that deep into the woods, although deep enough that he could potentially have ended up spending the night there, I guess!

      Delete
  5. There is an elephant sanctuary not far from here but as far as I know, there is no human-elephant interaction besides what the keepers must do. They want the elephants to be able to enjoy the wilderness without humans about, to go about their own wild elephant ways. They were all rescued from living lives in captivity. But I would love to be able to see elephants close up.
    I think your bathroom looks very, very nice.
    What a weird encounter you had with that woman and the non-responsive man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your point about not interacting with humans (that was the way it was in Sri Lanka - but they were still crowded out by loads of jeeps)! That being said, I guess the sanctuary makes out because of the $$$$ and the fact that the tourists are making the protein balls, hosing the elephants down and doing the mud baths. I wonder how much tourist interest there would be without all that. I'm certainly glad I got to experience it though! As for the drunk guy, the ambulance passed just as I was heading back to my car so I reckon they took him in. Until the next time, I guess!

      Delete
  6. I love that experience with the elephants. If they aren't able to go back into their own environments (because of humans) then humans have to make sure they are comfortable! Your trip really was the bees knees! And the bathroom renos look amazing, more comfortable than the forest floor LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I find elephants beautiful and it was a real treat to scrub them down and feed them. The whole trip was very good, if tiring, but then the company isn't called Explore for nothing! And yeah, I reckon sleeping on my bathroom floor would have been better than getting eaten alive by ants (or wild boar!!!) in the woods!

      Delete
  7. Your bathroom looks amazing. I love the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love mosaic patterns (I did the same thing in my kitchen a few years ago) as it brings to mind North Africa - which I just love!

      Delete
  8. It sounds like your bathroom renovations are coming along nicely, even if you're at the "that'll do" stage! Sometimes, reaching that point of completion where everything is functional and satisfactory is all that matters. A tiny gap here or there might bother some, but as long as it doesn't affect the overall functionality or aesthetics, it's perfectly acceptable to let it slide.

    It's great that you're happy with the outcome of your larger bathroom despite the minor imperfections. And now that you're moving on to the smaller bathroom, hopefully, things will progress smoothly and quickly. After all, as long as the essentials like the toilet are in place, you can manage just fine.

    Thanks for sharing your bathroom renovation journey with us! It's inspiring to see how you're making the best of things and finding satisfaction in the progress. Read my new blog post for more home improvement tips and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being a perfectionist would kill me - so thank God I'm not! But thank you for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  9. Your bathrooms look really nice. Doesn't a new bathroom make such a difference? We had ours done a few years ago and even now I walk in them and smile. We did the walk-in shower also and I really love it. That is so awesome that you were able to spend time with elephants at the sanctuary. That is the best way to enjoy them. TBG and I rode one back in the late 80's and I would never do that again. I have a totally different take on the circus, zoos, etc. now than I did when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to do the bathrooms for ages because I was ashamed of them, but I just didn't know where to start. It was good to be able to talk it over with Jordan - he being a plumber - to realize what was feasible and what wasn't and that certainly helped! A few years ago I probably would have ridden an elephant too but not now, AND I find wild animals being cooped up very sad. I really enjoyed the safari park at Christmas but seeing certain animals in captivity did bother me. I mentioned to my son that I wonder how many of them go mad as a result!

      Delete
  10. i love what you have done to the bathroom. our reno has been put off long enough and I am ready for it to be done and over!
    I would love to see the elephants up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, the bathrooms have been driving me nuts for ages but I couldn't pluck up the courage to even start - probably terrified of the mess! To be fair though, both the plumber and the tiler have been great and always cleaned up after themselves. The problem was having everything stuffed in the spare bedrooms while they worked - but in the end it was worth it!!! And I really loved getting to be close to the elephants too. When I had finished giving "my" elephant the food that I had she kinda tapped me on the shoulder with her trunk looking for more. Beautiful - but scary too!

      Delete
  11. I love your bathroom. Well done. I may steal the design:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I had seen a couple of pictures similar to that that I liked so knew I would go with it - but I hope yours gets completed faster than mine did!

      Delete
  12. Your bath looks fabulous! And I have yet to ride an elephant 🐘 or see one other than in a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sluggy! And you can bet the elephants were fascinating!

    ReplyDelete