The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 11 March 2024

Home again!

After two rather hectic and exhausting weeks I'm finally back home, arriving last night around 9 p.m. - tired but happy! I reckon jet lag was at play this morning, though, because I was up at 5 a.m., paid some bills, did my washing and put stuff away before heading out to yoga, grocery shopping and then sewing club. I suppose I'll pay for it later but right now I'm still going strong!

My flight to Dubai with Emirates was delayed by 90 minutes, but that notwithstanding, I can't begin to describe how good the experience was flying with them. Of course, I'd decided to spoil myself by flying business class, but to be honest economy also looked really good. The food and service were excellent, and then to have a handsome young steward ask if he could make up my bed was just sublime! On the down side, being delayed by 90 minutes meant I had to run when I got to Dubai in order to make my connecting flight to Bangkok. You can't imagine what I (and a few others) looked like dashing through Dubai airport to get to our ongoing flights. On top of that, Dubai is a "silent airport" in that there are no tannoy annoucements so you end up crashing around trying to find which gate you should be heading for and all this in the searing heat! But make it we did, with the flight from Dubai being just as good as the first one, although by the time I finally made it to Bangkok I was pretty wired!

At the hotel I met up with the rest of our group (there were 10 of us) and our guide, who took us to a little out of the way restaurant overlooking the Chao Phraya River where we all made our introductions and got to know each other a little. I woke early the next morning (still jet lagged I guess) so sat on the terrace watching the boats go by until the others came down for breakfast. While I was sitting there a young French man sat down with his breakfast plate and then went to get coffee. Big mistake, apparently, because in his absence a crow swooped down and stole most of his breakfast before he made it back to the table! You live and learn I guess!

Later that morning we took a boat ride down one of the canals that branch off the river. It was already 35°C (95°F) so it was quite a shock to the system, but everywhere we went people made sure we always had cold water on hand as I guess they know how serious it can be if you get dehydrated!

I'm guessing my next few posts will be pretty picture heavy, so feel free to skip if you like. I'm just reliving my trip while it's fresh in my mind - and saving it to enjoy later!

Flying over Bangkok!

The view from our hotel by night!



Feeding fish on the canal trip!

Along the canal!

I wouldn't want to meet him
in the breakfast area!

And I couldn't resist this one - it's Gary Larsen I think, but I'm not sure!




23 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good time. I have an attorney friend who lived in Singapore for 3 years and told me time and time again that Thailand was one of the best places he'd ever been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course in two weeks you only get a glimpse of a country, but that was enough to get an idea of the beautiful scenery, the wonderful food and the gracious people. Your attorney friend was right - you should add it to your bucket list!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a grand time(ok, maybe not the changing planes and having to rush). I can't wait for more photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a sweaty mess most of the time but it really was a wonderful trip!

      Delete
  3. Happy to see the pictures and live vicariously through your travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to see more of your pictures too!

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful! Yay you for making the journey and getting home safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but I'm glad to be home too!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back :) Sounds like an adventure and as always, love the pictures you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an adventure. An exhausting one as always as these holidays move. That's probably why I only do one a year like that!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back, bring on the pictures! LOL at the crow also getting a free breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the crow swoop in but he was much quicker than I was. It was funny though!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear you made it home safely and had a wonderful time. Love the pictures. I have heard flying Emirates is top notch, glad you had the same experience with them. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my son went to Bangkok for work he flew Etihad, which is apparently also excellent. Then when he went again in November on vacation he flew Emirates. And yes, they really are top notch!

      Delete
  8. Love the pictures and the recounting of the trip, but spewed coffee when I saw the cartoon at the end of the post! My laptop screen thanks you. It was in bad need of cleaning anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cartoon tickled me too - but sorry about your computer screen!

      Delete
  9. That cartoon is hilarious! I’ve flown Emirates several times. They do have great service, except in economy they were a bit stingy with the alcoholic drinks. Only travelled business once and it was with Emirates. Lush!

    The heat and humidity of the topics is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Opps. Didn’t mean to post anonymously. The last comment was from me. Lucinda in Australia. And I have a new blog on my countdown to retirement. 34 months to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emirates really is top notch isn't it. And it's great that you have a new blog - will pop on over and say hi!

      Delete
  11. Hi. I'm in the midst of planning a small group trip to Thailand myself. I'm having a hard time finding tour companies that offer small group tours. What tour company did you go with? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, I went with Explore.co.uk (I've done quite a few trips with them) and I think the largest group was 11, in Sri Lanka. Just six in Costa Rica. This time there were 10. It's a UK-based company but they are very efficient and open to everyone - it just means the guided tours are in English. They generally book people's flights but I booked my own as I didn't want to fly back to London in order to fly back east again to Thailand - the flight is long enough as it is! As the name suggests these tours MOVE - i.e. it's not just lazing around on the beach - and they can be quite physical in that sometimes you do get to lug your own suitcase around, although in Thailand there were always young men to help. Another thing, if your group are "fussy", these hotels are sometimes quite simple (i.e. not posh) but the beds are always clean and the shower works. I highly recommend them. If you do book, do let me know!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. I will definitely check them out and let you know if I book.

      Delete
    3. Yes do let me know if you book!

      Delete