The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 17 February 2024

More this and that!

Well the world's slowest renovation project is still ongoing and I'm starting to get really fed up of it, to be honest. I had thought that at least the big bathroom would have been finished last week but unfortunately the plumber couldn't install the shower door pane as he needs the tiler to come back in and build him "an exact vertical" on which to attach it (I'd guess none of my walls are particularly straight). Unfortunately (for me) the tiler had to dash home to Kosovo for a few days so that's where I'm stuck at - so close and yet so far! On a positive note, I now trust both these men enough that if I have to dash out I know I can leave them in the house alone. I was telling the tiler that I'd just gotten back from the charity shop and he asked me if I always took stuff there, rather than dumping it. When I said of course, we were poor when I was growing up, he smiled and said "good, because that's the way we live in my country"! I guess if people want to try to sell stuff that's fine too, but the thought of putting perfectly good items in the trash horrifies me!

In the family next door to ours in England there were 10 children, and not long after I'd come to Geneva one of their older daughters came out to Geneva to work as an au pair for two physicists working at CERN (the European Nuclear Research Centre - think Hadron Collider). When I met up with her one time she was telling me that when the children grew out of their clothes they just dumped them in the trash (!!!!) so she spent half her time climbing in the trash to get them back out again and take them home for her brothers and sisters! She also said that they would buy a whole, large salmon, take what they wanted from it - and then dump the rest! While they obviously made good money, I will never understand that mentality, and nor do I want to!

Anyway, I know my tiler would like to buy a house and he was asking me about next door's place and another neighbour's place - the Jehovah's Witness couple who are having to move out because of old age/frailty. He'd done some work for next door and liked the house and they keep their garden nice too, but the other neighbour (who introduced me to the tiler) had also told him about the problems with the basement flooding, so I don't think he would want to take that on. One thing I also mentioned to him though is that living in Annecy, his three kids would probably hate it out here - too rural and you can't just pop into town and go shopping when you feel like it. Absolutely beautiful of course (but then so is Annecy) but no public transport and I felt that his teenage daughters, at least, would hate it. We were lucky because André was just two when we moved here and Jordan was born here, so they never knew anything else, but tweens would probably hate it. I would be happy to have him move in next door as he seems very nice, but (a) I honestly don't see next door ever selling and (b) you have to take into account all the inconveniences too. I think I gave him food for thought, at least!

On another note, I follow a FB group who post on burglaries/break-ins in the local area, and I don't know if they are actually increasing or if I'm just more aware of it, but in any case I called back a company who had come round in the summer and within 24 hours I had a complete security system installed and with a monthly payment will have a 24 hour emergency contact too. They installed five sensors downstairs (doors and windows), an internal camera, two external cameras (front and back) and even a "smoke" alarm - you know, a bit like the artifical fog you get at a pop concert. It's very easy to use (once I got the hang of it) and so far I've only set it off briefly twice. I also gave my neighbour a disc that will cancel the alarm if it goes off when I'm not here, and will give the kids one each when I see them. So job done then!

In other news, there seems to be an awful lot of product recall going on in France right now due to the "detection of pesticides". Hmmmm!!! Several such products that also hit the news, although only in a "small" way, were various bottled waters produced by Nestlé. It seems that they have been treating their bottled waters in the same way as regular tap water is treated, and while this doesn't necessarily make the water "bad" (for want of a better word), having the label spring water means it shouldn't be treated at all! Thankfully when this was discovered Nestlé's reps dashed off to Paris and managed to get a derogation before too much harm was done. Oddly enough the executive working at Rothschild Bank who was put in charge of the sale of Pfizer's infant nutrition division to Nestlé was none other than ...

... so I'm sure they had good contacts!

The other day I was in town and spotted the most beautiful baeckeoffe dish (earthenware dish), and despite my decluttering efforts I knew I just had to have it (I know, I know)! I promptly bought it home and cooked a large chicken with tons of garlic and potatoes. Of course I couldn't eat it all so stripped the chicken and threw the gravy, garlic and potatoes into a soup I made yesterday. While it was lovely, somehow I think if I'd realized I'd used that much garlic I would have eaten it on Friday night - that way I probably wouldn't have had to pay for a business class seat to Thailand on Saturday as I'm sure no-one would have wanted to sit next to me!

My baeckeoffe dish! I love it!

And finally, I brought my suitcase upstairs to start packing and pulled out a nice shoulder bag that I only use when travelling. While I was rummaging around in the pockets I found a lottery ticket I bought for 24 December and when I checked it I had won €50!!!! I have no idea why I dropped it in that bag and as it was almost expired I went into town today and cashed it! All good stuff then, as I'm off to Thailand on Saturday and it would have expired by the time I get back. I doubt I'll be able to keep in contact much on my phone, so if not, take care and "speak" when I get back!


19 comments:

  1. I do love your dish!
    Nestle has never had any scruples at all. Check their history. They're trying to buy up waters rights to springs in Florida as we speak. But that is hardly the worst of it.
    Have a wonderful time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of these companies have scruples. I believe Pfizer has the record for the biggest payouts in compensation (and I'm not talking about covid). I read Dopesick and the shenanigans of the Sackler family had to be seen to be believed in the opiode scandals (but off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the drug company). So nah I don't think any of them have scruples - they have $$$$ signs for eyes!

      Delete
  2. That dish looks simply lovely, I should see if I can find one in red. I always tell people I don't need a security system because of the dogs, but when Lily's gone, I just might invest in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they definitely do those dishes in red as I hesitated between red and blue. And I was never too bothered about security either but seeing the break-ins listed on FB made me realize I do live alone and while I have nothing of particular value I still don't want anyone in my home, especially at night!!!

      Delete
    2. Ha, I just went into the kitchen and I actually did buy the red one! The photo was taken from google. No wonder I have appalling dress sense - I can't remember colours!

      Delete
  3. That's a nice covered dish you bought, very attractive. Have a great trip to Thailand! That's some place I'd like to see before I die but not when they have a tsunami come in. eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda hoping to avoid a tsunami too but I admit it's not something I worry about. Heck, they bombed Sri Lanka at Easter three weeks after I left, AND the hotel I stayed in in Colombo was one they attacked, although the bomb never went off in that place, thank goodness! Will post lots of pictures though!

      Delete
  4. Your bathroom is going to be so gorgeous I'm sure, not just the basic redo I did on mine. But again, I'm in a 80's suburban style house in the US, not the French Countryside. Ok, I hope you think this is cute, not annoying. I've watched Madame Blanc Mysteries, and now, I read your post and think you and your home could be part of that scenery. I spoke out loud watching it... this is like how Treaders home and life must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment my bathroom is so black and white it looks like an asylum but I'm hoping when I get it back together and add some colour it won't look so clinical. And I had to look up Madame Blanc Mysteries - it looks fun. I reckon they're filming south of here as the stonework is orange (think Provence) so I'll give it a watch. And while my life isn't all fun and games, I do think the French are fun (if slightly mad)!

      Delete
  5. Have a safe and fun trip. I can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about all the characters you meet. I hope the tiler does take your advice into account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the trip will be lovely. They all have been so far. The worst unfortunately was Croatia but that was only because the weather was so bad. And my tiler is no fool so I'm sure he'll think things through carefully!

      Delete
  6. Renovations take SO much longer now but you will be so happy when it is all done. Our bathroom renovation took a few weeks longer than expected but it was well worth it.
    I do not understand that wasteful mentality at all. I would never throw something out instead of passing it on to someone that could use it.
    All of the government and corporate involvement in our healthcare and food deeply worries me.
    Enjoy your trip to Thailand. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair the delays in the bathroom renovations have been nobody's fault really. I knew full well that my tiler works full-time and would only be available on weekends, but never fear, it will get done in the end. And I'm with you on government involvement in health care and the food supply. Actually it's more like big corporations isn't it, and the almighty $$$$! I'll be sure to post pictures if and when I can!

      Delete
  7. I am with you about not putting perfectly good things in the trash. I had a friend who had 2 daughters and they wore new underpants everyday, I guess because laundry is such a tedious task. When you would go into the laundry room you would see baskets and baskets of dirty undies. I don't know if they ever washed them or just collected a huge number before trashing them. There is no accounting for what is acceptable to some people.
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, with the advent of modern washing machines it's hardly an onerous task to wash a few things through is it. I mean, it's not like they need ironing. But, as you say, there's nowt so queer as folk!

      Delete
  8. Have a wonderful trip to Thailand and take lots of photos so that I can live vicariously:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good omen for a great trip. Hope you have a fabulous time! With you all the way on the disposal of used items. Whilst our enormous wheelie bin stands empty, around our back door is always cluttered with boxes for the charity shop or recycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find some amazing things at our charity shop (the big one). A lot of crap too but it seems to go!

      Delete