The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Tuesday 19 March 2024

La suite!

The longest stay we had on any of the islands was three nights - I guess it depended on how much our tour operator thought would be of interest to us on each island. I'm getting a bit mixed up with how long we spent where but in the end it doesn't matter does it. Suffice it to say that our next port of call was to be the island of Koh Lanta - a trip which involved another, less stressful, tuk tuk ride, an hour's speedboat journey and then a short trip by truck to our next hotel!

Well that was the theory at least. Problem was, about 30 minutes into our boat journey the engine suddenly cut out. Oh they got it started again but shortly thereafter it stalled again and we realized we weren't going any further on this particular boat. Dan, one of our group, cracked a joke about it only being "a three km swim to shore", which was kinda funny until one of the crew told him to look out the window. And there in all their glory were hundreds and hundreds of massive pink jellyfish! And when I say "hundreds", I mean "hundreds" (if not thousands). I couldn't get a very good picture as I was bobbing up and down trying to get a shot through a very small window, but to say they were impressively scary would be an understatement!

This picture doesn't even begin to show the actual
number of jellyfish, but it was the best I could get!

So we sat there and waited but in reality this can't have been the first time this has happened because within about 15 minutes they had another boat mooring alongside ours and we all had to do the "jellyfish hoedown" (i.e. not fall in) while the crew very ably shifted our luggage from one boat to the next! The rest of our journey thankfully was without incident, although I did spot a man and four children on a vespa, which seems to be a not uncommon sight over there, "health and safety" be damned!

The island is predominantly Muslim and it was actually really nice to hear the call to prayer throughout the day. Some of the restaurants sold alcohol and some didn't but we tried to eat in the simpler local restaurants as much as possible. A few of our group went straight in for a dip in the sea but me being me I checked out the massage on the beach instead and ended up getting a traditional Thai massage for the grand sum of around €18 for one hour!!!! The weird thing is that the lady actually kneeled on top of me (yeah, I know) and it wasn't too bad at all, although I'm happy to say she was really tiny! When the others came up from the beach they all started talking about a "tingling" feeling all over their skin and our guide told us it was caused by tiny shrimp that inhabit the water close to the beach, particularly nearer to sunset! Now I've actually had one of those pedicures where they let fish loose on your bare feet (I believe it's no longer allowed in the UK though) but having shrimp nibbling bits of you would seem to me to be taking "weird" to a whole new level!

The next day there was an excursion to go kayaking in the mangroves. I didn't sign up for the kayaking because the thought of sitting out in a kayak in that sun kinda put me off - and I was right, as it turned out, because a few came back earlier than planned as they couldn't take the heat. What I hadn't realized though, was that those of us that didn't want to kayak would get to go on a boat ride through the mangroves where we saw monkeys crowding the river banks waiting for the fruit that our guide would throw for them. We were warned though to be very careful to secure our backpacks as the monkeys are apparently sneaky and very quick!


I didn't know monkeys could swim!




This was one of the places where I say
you had to have a certain degree of
mobility because it was a bit "iffy"
getting down to those boats!




After that we stopped in at a traditional fishing village, but to be honest I felt uncomfortable speaking to an older lady there who appeared to live in absolute poverty. They lived in dirt huts and this particular lady was saying that her nephew sent her money on occasion but other than that she got by by picking tamarind for 100 baht (about €3) per kilo!!! Of course her neighbours wouldn't let her starve but it was a level of poverty I don't think I have ever seen before. I asked our guide if she would be offended if we offered her some money for her time and she said she would be fine, so we all fished out whatever notes we had in our pockets and for that day at least, no more tamarind would need to be picked!


After that we stopped off at a Chinese market and from there went on to eat on the beach and watch the sunset before heading back to our hotel!



In other news I heard back from my local council back home in the UK and my postal vote application has been accepted and is winging its way to me as I write, so after 30 years of disenfranchisement, I finally got my vote back. Thank you British in Europe!

And finally, in other other news, yesterday there was a knock at my door and assuming it to be my neighbour I just yelled for her to come in. When she didn't I went and opened it and got quite a shock to see two police officers standing there. Thankfully I'm not a worry butt because the first thing that came to my mind was "oh damn, I must have forgotten to pay a speeding ticket" and then "oh, they might want to look at my external cameras because of ....". This has happened before when a neighbour had all four of his tyres slashed but at that point I didn't have my security system in place anyway. But no, it was nothing to do with that. The main officer told me he was there because I had put in a request for French citizenship through Charlie and they were here to check that I really do live where I said I did and to see what my relationship was like with Charlie. He asked me if I had any pictures of him (I asked him how long he'd got???) and then asked me what my relationship was like with him. I just laughed and pointed to the Punch and Judy tent in my living room sitting next to a bag full of puppets and asked if he really thought that was for my benefit. Weirdly his paperwork said that I was also applying for citizenship through marriage to a French person, so I had to set him straight on that. They were both very nice and he said he would be sending in a positive report to the immigration and naturalisation authorities so finally, after how many years (???) it looks like things might be moving on the naturalisation front. It'd be great if I could get it before June in time to vote in the European Parliament elections, but I guess I shouldn't be greedy. I'm just so grateful that things are finally moving in the right direction after all this time!



19 comments:

  1. And I thought the bureaucracy in the States was bad....how long since you applied?
    I'd have opted for that massage too. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially they said it would take about two years. Then they went paperless, then the pandemic, then they changed computer systems, then - well it turned out their computer systems couldn't handle it, so after about six months they "closed my file due to inactivity". That was when I thought sod it, wait till you're 65 (last September) and apply as an ascendant of Charlie, and bingo, it finally seems to be working!

      Delete
  2. Those pictures remind me a lot of when my ship was home-ported in the Philippines. We had monkeys, too, lucky for us they never came on board the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find monkeys fascinating but truth be told they're nasty little buggers for the most part!

      Delete
  3. So does that mean you will have British and French citizenship and right to vote in both countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the EU elections. Not all countries allow dual citizenship but Britain/France do, otherwise I wouldn't have gone down this path!

      Delete
  4. Quite an adventurous vacation. Good luck on closing the citizenship chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite tiring but on afternoons where we had nothing planned I would take myself off to my room to read (i.e. snooze) and all was right with the world again! And I'm glad the citizenship is moving ahead too as I so want to remain an EU citizen. That being said, I love living in France and would be proud to be French anyway!

      Delete
  5. I loved all of your photos. Congratulations on finally moving forward on the citizenship. When the US government is involved, everything takes SO long. I guess it's the same everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think citizenship would have taken nearly this long had (a) the pandemic not intervened and (b) the French not decided to change their computer systems, which seemed not to want to work at all when I tried to input my documents. So I gave up in the end and went the "easy route" through ascendancy with Charlie, even though I'd done all the work (i.e. know all about France and its history) in order to gain citizenship "the harder way". I was VERY tempted to ask the cop if he could state when the Fifth Republic started and name all of its presidents in reverse order - but I decided not to push my luck!

      Delete
  6. There is poverty in this world that is unimaginable to many of us.
    Cheeky monkeys! They should teach them to do massage!
    What a funny visit from the police. I'm glad that this issue will finally become resolved and completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this lady's poverty very distressing and absolutely did NOT want to fly in there like the all-saving foreigner and throw money at her - hence why I asked our guide first if she would be offended! Turns out she was extremely grateful! More and more though I tend to lean towards "poverty begins at home" and so prefer to donate more locally (even though I've supported Nima's Children - an orphanage in Nepal) for many years. The sad thing is, the amount of stupid money they throw at stupid causes could change so many people's lives if it were applied locally. But then they can always find money for war can't they! Anyway, off the soapbox for now, but yes I knew that the police would stop by at some point but of course they drop in unnanounced - to catch you out, if you like. I was just so glad I wasn't colouring my hair with a face mask on - but I'm sure they've seen worse!

      Delete
    2. That should probably be "charity begins at home"!! Should learn to proof-read!

      Delete
  7. Imagine saying a monkey stole my homework, lol! Your trip continues to sound beautiful. As for the elderly woman, I would have been as equally touched. Giving her the little you had on you would have indeed made a little difference in her life :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure those bloody monkeys could be blamed for many things. My friend is from Jaipur and said they ran off with their breakfast, their laundry, and goodness knows what else. In England we'd have to be more imaginative!! And as for that lady, she touched me very much, but other than right here and the now what can you do?

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an awesome trip. That's hilarious that the police showed up to prove you are the grandma LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've ever seen the movie Green Card (with GĂ©rard Depardieu), he actually did marry an American in order to get his green card and they had to study each other so much to "get their stories straight". When I was interviewed in Berne about my request for a US green card they asked me who had made the request. I pointed to my husband and said he did - I guess that did it for the because I didn't know his favourite aftershave, his favourite movie and so on. So I get that the French follow up on this stuff in order (hopefully) to prevent applications for citizenship from phonies - which I'm not (as I'm sure he could see)!

      Delete
  9. Love the details of your trip not to mention your desire to exercise your democratic rights. There has to be an election coming in the UK -the sooner the better, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm really hoping to get my voting rights in both countries and I know absolutely who I WON'T be voting for! Pity the Heritage Party doesn't have a bigger platform!

      Delete