The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Friday 22 December 2023

Like a kid in a sweetie shop!

We're off tomorrow morning to spend the night in "tree top cabins" in the safari park near Lyon that Jen organized. It's only an overnight stay but I'm really looking forward to it and hoping the weather plays along. I just checked it out and it's looking good so fingers crossed the weathermen got it right! I feel kinda guilty feeling so happy when things with my favourite neighbour are just horrible. The silence coming from that house is explosive, but on a positive note I understand the husband is slowly moving stuff into his daughter's apartment in the next village over as her tenant has just moved out. I had mentioned to the wife that I would be going back and forth to a fabric store in a place called Sallanches as I was dropping off and picking up our sewing club sewing machines for servicing, so I sent her a message to say I was going on Wednesday and did she want to come. The reply I got back was that it wouldn't be a good time right now so I'll mention it to her next time I go. Her husband had had to go all the way to Lyon for tests a couple of weeks ago since two of the local hospitals won't deal with him any more. At the first hospital he was in bed waiting for an operation to insert a stent in his leg and they told him the surgeon would be along at 3 p.m.. When 3 o'clock rolled around and the surgeon hadn't showed up yet (unavoidably detained in surgery) he got dressed and left the hospital in a fit of pique. At the second hospital they inserted yet another stent in his leg (must be about six by now) and wanted to keep him overnight. Well he wasn't having any of that and signed himself out against medical advice for the second time so I believe that hospital won't deal with him any more - hence having to go all the way to Lyon for tests on his heart and lungs. When he got back she asked how it went and he just said "fine" and walked out, only for her to find out when she answered the phone later that day that they were scheduling insertion of a stent, in his heart this time, for the following Wednesday. When she asked about it he told her he didn't feel like going (probably scared but seriously, can you keep messing medical personnel around like that?)! Ultimately he ended up going for the operation and was kept under observation for 24 hours. When she popped round for a coffee she said it was the best 24 hours she'd had in a long time! How sad is that - but I know how she felt! When my ex used to travel for work the tension levels in the house used to drop from 100 to zero only to shoot back through the roof when he got back!

So it looks like he'll be moved out sooner rather than later - which can only be a good thing for both of them. I was asking her what she was going to do about banking and she told me "she didn't like to snoop" but that she was also afraid he was going senile. Ha, any man that can visit a lawyer to effectively try to disinherit his wife of 51 years, locks her out of their joint bank account and who has a complete file labelled "divorce" isn't senile, he's trying to put one over on her! So I offered to help her with using my old laptop as he will be taking their one and only laptop with him. She's very resistant to "technology" but hey, she'll have no choice now, will she! His public persona is Joe Helpful but what goes on behind closed doors is quite another thing!


She was telling me that with age he has gotten more and more like his mother, who was apparently a nasty piece of work. He was the only son and had three sisters and I remember his mother telling me one time how lucky I was to have two sons rather than daughters! I was shocked and said I was just happy to have healthy children - the sex doesn't matter! So I guess having been treated like the Boy King all his life he has no respect for anyone! I remember a few years ago when her father died very suddenly, grandma came to stay with them for a few days after the funeral. When I walked in to give her a hug she slumped down on the sofa and the husband said "see, look at how she just slumps down on the sofa when anyone is around - it's all an act"! I basically balled him out and said that she'd buried her husband of 50+ years just a few days ago, I don't care if she's slumped down on the sofa! So yeah, I'm sure this separation can't come fast enough for either of them!

I think I mentioned in my last post that I'd bought myself a pair of earbuds/airpods in order to be able to get stuff done while I'm listening to books or podcasts. It was been nice to get into bed and have someone "read" to me, BUUUUUTTTTT I hate the fact that as soon as you tap one airpod it either tries to answer or make a phone call for you! The other night I was listening to a podcast in bed around 1 a.m. and when I turned my head my bloody phone tried to call my gynaecologist!!!!! I think I've managed to cancel this function because I don't want to be randomly calling people if I nod off in bed!

And joy of joys, our local bus company just sent out an advance copy of their 2024 catalogue and Corsica is back on the menu again next year. I called my friend and knowing that this trip will sell out quickly we drove down to their offices this morning to put a deposit on the Corsica trip and a trip later in the year (just an overnighter) to a place called Guédelon, which is a place I have long wanted to visit. It's a medieval castle that is being slowly and painstakingly restored and is just a couple of hours from here! 

Guédelon!

Skimming through their catalogue I must have listed about 15 trips I would like to do (hence the kid in the sweetie shop reference) but realistically we'll only do a couple, plus a few day trips and save the rest for next year, I guess. After we'd reserved we stopped off and ate in a very good Indian restaurant in town and while the quantities weren't big, and in any case I didn't finish mine, I flaked out on the sofa for a good few hours when I got home. Then for some reason I decided that right now would be a good time to start going through my food storage cupboards and I'm ashamed to say it took me a good few hours to go through it and throw out some stuff that must have been bought when Guédelon was originally being built! Just like my freezers, shame on me for letting it get that bad, but at least it looks good now! After that I've just crashed on the sofa again tonight but oh, pro tip, if you want to waste a few hours going down the feel good rabbit hole, start watching Nate Eaton's (East Idaho News) Secret Santa videos. If that doesn't make you grateful for everything you have, nothing will - and god bless the wonderful Secret Santa in East Idaho for making such a huge difference to struggling people's lives!

So I'll be off tomorrow and get back late Sunday evening, and after that it'll be Christmas Day. I doubt I'll get to read any blogs for the next few days so I'll wish you all a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, and speak to you all again soon!


18 comments:

  1. I can tell you from experience that there are men, and some women, who simply will not admit that there's anything wrong with their health. Death will be knocking on their door and they'll say it's "just a cold." You have a Merry Christmas, too, and if you get the chance, have a glass of wine for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know many men (in particular) like that and by the time they have to do something it's usually too late. And you betcha, I'll have a glass of wine (just one?) for you. Merry Christmas Dave!

      Delete
  2. That poor lady! I am glad she has you as a friend who does not blame her. I suppose he was treated better than his sisters and came to despise women.
    Have you ever been to Chillon. The Prisoner of Chillon is one of my favorite poems. I wrote a 30-page paper on it in grad school.
    If you made calls in your sleep, emergency services might be sent to see what is wrong with you. Yes, I would disable that.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually seen him take a call from his mother on their landline, say hallo, put the phone down and walk off for 10 minutes and then come back, thinking it was funny leaving her whittering away! My only hope is that my neighbour will come out of her shell once he's gone as she does have friends here. And yes I've been to Chillon many times (it's right on Lake Geneva) as I lived about 20 minutes from it at one time! Merry Christmas to you and Tommy, Linda!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny (not really) that your neighbor is literally known the world over as a huge piece of shit? I feel so sorry for his wife.
    I'm glad you're making plans to get away and see some sights. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to be known as a piece of shit (there are a lot of them around - both sexes - unfortunately) but I can only believe that a separation will be for the best for both of them. And as for travelling, I get the bug more and more every time I travel. I keep thinking "oh this'll be the last one" and then it becomes like a drug - I'm hooked!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Same to you Sluggy - and I wish you much better health for 2024!

      Delete
  5. That poor woman, I sure know what Santa needs to give her. I hope this opens her up for a lot of joy in her life. Ugh! Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your holidays and Merry Christmas! Your travel plans sound wonderful for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully she will surprise us all and come right out of her shell if/when they separate. It'd be sad to spend however long she's got left on this planet feeling so crushed, wouldn't it. And Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a superb pre-Christmas overnighted. Good weather or not, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Have a wonderful Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back and it was great. Will write more about it later. And Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you have some wonderful trips planned for the new year. That is awesome. It's one of the best ways to make memories. Good for you being a friend to your neighbor. It sounds like she is in a horrible place. I hope he leaves sooner than later so she can start to make her own life. So sad. Merry Christmas!! I hope it's a very happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back from our safari trip and it was wonderful. Then dinner at my place for Christmas Day and everyone has gone home so all's quiet right now. I noticed that next door both their cars are still here so I have a feeling they did nothing today at all, even though they have two children within 30 minutes drive. I don't blame the kids at all, I have a feeling it's a refusal from both parents next door. How terribly sad. Like you say, the sooner they separate the better. I hope you and the Big Guy have a lovely day and that his health continues to improve. Merry Christmas Lori!

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas! I hope Santa brought you some nice presents. It's nice to have some trips planned for next year. I look forward to hearing about them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas has been and gone now but it was lovely all the same! I hope things are going well for you too and that 2024 is kind to us all!

      Delete
  9. I just love every single thing about this post! I would love to sleep with a wolf chorus beneath me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have great expectations for the safari park but the wonderful chalet and having the wolves so close really made it. Well that and the great news at the end too!

      Delete