The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Saturday 28 October 2023

Score (x 2)!!

We're still having pretty decent weather here for the time of year. Oh we've had a couple of days of heavy rain (which is only to be expected), but other than that it's been glorious - sunny and not too cold - and I'm happy to say I'm still getting loads done. I'm keeping up with the Italian lessons which are still pretty easy as it's early days yet. Then the other day a recipe popped up on my feed from a site called Ptitchef and I'm finding quite a few recipes I'd like to try out. They send an email every day with a starter, main course and dessert and if I see anything that interests me I drop it into my online recipe folder. The only complaint I have about the site though is the advertising. Well obviously they have adverts but the one that seems to pop up most often is a diagram of an enlarged prostate and showing the recommended treatment!!! That one doesn't actually inspire me to dash off to the kitchen somehow!

I was chatting with my friend the other day saying how I'd like to get my old BBQ down to the tip but it was proving difficult since it wouldn't fit in my car. Then she said she wanted to get rid of her BBQ because she just never used it and was I interested? It's a good quality, gas bottle BBQ that has been covered and stored in her garage and while I was initially tempted I know I wouldn't use it so asked her if she would like me to mention it to my neighbours - who use theirs a lot. Well they weren't interested but as their daughter jumped at it I set up with my neighbour for us to go over to her place and pick it up. He told me that he'd tried taking my BBQ apart some more but I already knew that was impossible as it was so rusted, so in the end he said to just help him load it up into his car and we took it down to the tip. So score 1 - one less BBQ to deal with!

Then last Saturday the tiler showed up with his young son as he was on school break. He's a nice guy and very hard working as he works a full-time job and does tiling in the evenings and weekends. He originally came to France as a refugee after the war in Kosovo and I am dead impressed how well he speaks French and how hard working he is! More power to him! I mentioned that I'd be gone for about 30 minutes as I had to pop out to pick up an Amazon package from a delivery centre. It was the first time I'd used this gas station and I had to scan a QR code on my phone and out of one of the lockers popped my new mini chainsaw! After I got home I had it on the table while I was charging the battery and when he asked about it I told him that I was not comfortable using my big chainsaw to cut the wood downstairs but was hoping to be able to at least cut up the smaller logs. So at this point he says that next time he comes over he'll stay an extra hour and cut up the bigger logs for me!!! I wasn't expecting that at all, but since he volunteered and if he wants to make some money I'm absolutely thrilled - so score 2 for me!

Since then I've cut up a fair supply of smaller logs and this afternoon I cut back (massacred) the buddleia in my front garden as my gardener forgot to do it the other day. It took me all of 15 minutes and I am dead impressed, so much so that my neighbour asked me about it and has ordered one for herself. I tell ya, at the moment anything that's not on wheels I'm attacking with that saw! Which reminds me oddly enough of a story from years ago when my parents bought a new washing machine. My brother-in-law's parents were maybe 15 years older than my parents and as they were very rural she was still doing their laundry in the old washtub and wringer, so when my parents offered them their old "automatic" washer they jumped at it. BIL's dad said he thought he'd gotten lucky because every day when he came home from work his wife told him to "take his clothes off" but poor him, she only wanted to do another load of washing, she was so thrilled with her new machine! And I'm a bit like that with my chainsaw. I seriously love it, although I managed to lose my safety goggles the first day (probably threw them out with the hibiscus branches). But you know what, forget all the hoopla about the "find my iphone" app, I reckon if someone could invent a "find my glasses" app they'd make a fortune. Not from me though as I have reading glasses dotted all over the place so as long as I can still find my house I reckon I'm good!

I'm still seeing an awful lot of job vacancies advertised (does no-one want to work anymore???) so who knows, maybe I could get myself a little part-time job as a lumberjack. Now there's a thought!


Start 'em young I say!



24 comments:

  1. I would be hungry for something cooked on the BBQ after all that chain-sawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BBQ was nice but I just never used it. I think it was the thought of cleaning it afterwards that killed it for me!

      Delete
  2. I've had one of those little electric chainsaws for years and know what you mean about it being useful. Enjoy the weather, it's probably not going to last much longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might end up selling my neighbour on the chainsaw idea too. He's finding their rather large garden too much now and mentioned that he would just have to leave the weeping willow till next year, so I offered to get up the ladder and have a go at it. The branches aren't very thick so I reckon the smaller saw would work a treat. And to think I spent all these years trying to cut large branches with cutters. What on earth was I thinking????

      Delete
  3. So envious and not only because of the mini chainsaw. It’s that point in the year where we want to start the annual tree and shrub demolition work and all it seems to be doing is rain. Managed to “fell” my tomato plants in the greenhouse yesterday but not sure that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize you're supposed to prune half this stuff in spring but my gardener always did it around this period so we'll see if it ends up as "death by chainsaw"! And as I said, we've had a few days of pouring rain but it really is mild here so I'm taking full advantage!

      Delete
  4. Just this morning the big guy said he wanted a battery powered chainsaw for this spring. He hates the large gas one. We just bought a battery powered leaf blower yesterday because I can't use the large gas one for very long. This one is perfect for blowing off the porches and the garage. It's surprisingly powerful. Glad you've had a productive week. It's always so nice to tick things off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gardener uses a gas chainsaw but then he's a big guy and can handle it, so good for you for getting the battery operated leafblower. I've got two and am thinking of taking them to the charity shop as I never bothered with the leaves even then! My chainsaw might be too little for your needs but I'd say a battery operated one is the way to go, maybe just a bit bigger than mine!

      Delete
  5. You are definitely on a roll here! Love the pictures of your little man. He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it incredibly frustrating when I can't do something through lack of strength, so that's why I'm waxing lyrical about my new find. I wish I was on commission though 'cos I think I've already convinced three people to get one! And Jordan and Jen are very good with Charlie - Jordan shows him all the DIY stuff he's doing and Jen's got him cooking up a storm. Way to go kids!

      Delete
  6. Great scores and cute pictures. That little one is getting big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with both my "scores" - two problems solved just like that! And yes Charlie is getting bigger, and more and more fun as time goes by!

      Delete
  7. Charlie just gets cuter and cuter!
    Now I am going to need to start working on my French because I went to the recipe website and am salivating!
    Did I mention I seriously suck at French, but am better trying to read it than speak. Even worse though is converting metric to American standard. I am worse at math than I am at French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, google translate isn't bad but I know what you mean about converting measurements!!! I really screwed up when I was making my own laundry liquid - it came out like a brick because I confused centilitres with millitres!!! Mind you, imagine how I felt when I read a recipe calling for a "cup" of flour. What the hell is a "cup". I believe half a cup is 250g but who knows any more!!!!

      Delete
  8. My friend bought a battery powered chainsaw that is only about 18 inches long with the blade part about 12 inches or less. She cuts so much stuff from her yard. It's cute, but there is nothing to cut in Tommy's yard.
    Charlie is cute with his tools. He will be a regular Renaissance man if he cooks and repairs/make things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the larger logs are cut downstairs, if I need more wood I will order it cut to a smaller size so I shouldn't need a bigger chainsaw. This smaller one is a blessing, not just for the wood but for pruning the lilac, hibiscus etc. and I'm so glad I bought it. Oh and I hope you're able to get back into your blog soon!

      Delete
  9. last comment was from Practical Parsimony Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie looks so cute. I am sure in a few years, he can start helping you around the yard. That chainsaw and Halloween night. Hmmm... Neighbors beware. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I never thought of that. I have quite a few Halloween outfits - I might take my chainsaw and go try to "persuade" my neighbours to give me some candy!

      Delete
  11. I am glad your BBQ is gone and your chainsaw is effective. Charlie gets cuter with each passing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That BBQ was bugging the heck out of me so I'm REALLY glad it's gone too! And Charlie's getting more and more fine as time goes by!

      Delete
  12. I think I’m getting a mini-chainsaw for Christmas. Not that we chop wood for heating. We don’t have a fireplace. But it’ll help keep things under control. Also want an auger that attaches to an electric. Drug and digs holes for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chainsaw made short work of two climbing rose bushes I wanted to get rid of, plus the buddleia and the wisteria. All a bit too thick for me to chop normally, so I hope you do get one for Christmas. I love mine!

      Delete