The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Friday 21 June 2024

This and that!

There's not much going on round here at the moment - that is if you discount a snap election being called in the UK, the recent European elections and Macron's dissolution of the National Assembly as a result!! I didn't get to vote in the Europeans as I haven't received French citizeship yet, but if I had I would definitely have voted for a small party called The Patriots. I like their leader as he goes up to bat on most issues (manning the barricades, so to speak) but they are still so small they haven't yet made much of a score. At the moment both the left and right are trying to form coalitions so who knows what will happen when the French get to vote again at the end of the month. One thing I have seen talked about recently, though, is the potential for Macron to invoke Article 16 of the Constitution which would basically give him dictatorial powers without the need to consult on anything (Article 16 "provides the President of France with 'exceptional powers' in times of acute crisis")! I'm not sure if this would ever happen but it has been mentioned - watch out for the fireworks if it does!

A couple of days ago I finally received my postal vote for the upcoming UK General Election and finally, after almost 30 years of not having the right to vote, I mailed it back in good time for the July 4th ballot! To paraphrase whoever - "if allowing the plebs to vote changed anything they wouldn't allow them to vote", but I feel very strongly about doing so, and indeed had to go out of my way to get my vote back, so once again, thank you to British in Europe! I can't vote in local elections - which makes sense - but if I could I would vote for the Heritage Party as I really like their leader, David Kurten. They weren't on the national ballot so I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out after July 4th!

Other than that, there's not much going on here. The weather is still pretty crap with almost constant rain and while I don't mind the rain, I am chomping at the bit to get out walking in the mountains again without being swept away in a mudslide. For about 18 months though I've been having problems with my left foot - sharp shooting pains which feel like an electric shock - so with that in mind I made an appointment to see the handsome young podiatrist I used to go to in Geneva. He sorted out some kind of gizmo which would block nerve endings in a couple of toes and so far it seems to be working so I can't wait to get back out walking to give it a trial run. His office is in a part of Geneva known as the prostitute area. I don't know if prostitution is legal or just tolerated in Switzerland, but the women were sitting out on the café terraces plying their wares in the bright sunshine. I hope they are doing this of their own free will, but seriously, who would want to submit to that as a way of making a living. Maybe they don't see another alternative!

In hopes that it will one day stop raining and with my foot feeling better, I was recently looking into geocaching as a way to maybe get out and get some walking in. If you don't know what geocaching is, it's basically an outdoor treasure hunt where you are given gps coordinates for hidden treasure and your job is to find it and sign the "autograph book". Now I'm crap at gps coordinates so I'll wait until my friend gets back from Spain, but I see that there is a hidden treasure just up the road from here so I'm hoping to give that a go, if someone can explain to me how it works!

We had our latest board game evening the other Saturday night and since I had noticed that Charlie was pretending to take photos (through the windows of his bus) when we were at The Medieval Times, I found the cutest little camera online and bought it for him. He was delighted with it, has got the David Bailey pose down to a T, and now has maybe 50 photos on his camera already - all of people's noses, his own toes or someone's knees! I think it'll need some fine-tuning, but it was definitely a good buy!

Only €28 from Amazon!

Since it's been stay at home weather, I've been trying to catch up on a few Netflix series but I'm really struggling. I'm finding so many of their series are very "formulaic" (is that even a word?), in that they all seem to follow the same script. Brooding characters, dark sets and dramatic music. I was on my third series of Netflix adaptations of Harlan Coben books and they actually had the same actor in all three series, although playing a different character each time. Don't get me wrong, he was very good, but when I noticed the same piñata-style llama in two of the series I reckoned the props department must have been on a very strict budget! So nah, I'm finding it all quite boring, to be honest and will probably cancel my subscription!

On the other hand, I decided that I wanted to set to and get some of the hundreds of books littering my house either read or passed on and I've actually had a pretty good run so far. The first four books I read were very good, in particular a new-to-me author, Faith Addis, who I'm guessing must be nearly 90 now (if she's still alive). After that though, I ended up with what I call "Sex and the City" copycat drivel and only made it through two chapters before getting rid of it. You know, where the impossibly beautiful red-head (who is obviously Irish because her second cousin three times removed visited Dublin once) is working a lowly job in New York and really can't get along with the good looking guy who has just started working there. Turns out he's the boss's son and loaded and eventually they learn to like each, fall in love, and live happily ever after! Eh no, thanks, I'll pass!

In other news, I learned yesterday that a former colleague and friend died on Tuesday at just 56 years of age. She wasn't a close friend but we were friendly enough to go out to lunch or dinner on occasion. She'd been retired on disability for over 10 years and while she suffered through a devastating illness, she was always laughing and joking and never let on how bad things were, although I'm sure a few of her closer friends had a better idea!

And then on Monday at sewing club we were planning our last meet up before the summer break and organizing who would bring what in for an end-of-year dinner. One of the ladies, Viviane, must be retired almost one year now and while I'm not sure of her age, I doubt that she's actually hit 60 yet. She's a "nature freak" in that she's always out hiking (on her own) and just last week cycled all the way round Lake Annecy (just the thought of it makes me break out in a sweat). And then yesterday she sent us a picture of her first tandem jump off one of the mountains above Annecy!

Way to go Viviane!

Who knows, maybe she'll talk me into it! I'm so happy for her that she is loving her retirement and so sorry that Sue's health prevented her from living her retirement to the fullest. RIP Sue!



22 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are still dealing with so much dreary rain. I hope the sun comes out soon. It's good to hear your foot is feeling better so you can get back out walking a bit. That camera is so cool. I'm sure Charlie will get the hang of it and have so much fun learning. I say give the tandem jump a try. I've always wanted to but I have a fear of heights that would stop me. RIP Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still chewing over the tandem jump. I think I could do the jump - I'd just be more worried about the landing, to be honest!

      Delete
  2. My sister has neuropathy in her feet, mostly, I suspect, because she found it easier to just sit and have a glass of wine rather then get up and walk anywhere. Photography is great hobby! Maybe Charlie will astound you all. And there is no way I'm jumping out of a plane, unless pushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor seemed to think my toe had just twisted a little (probably from wearing shoes that are too narrow - I don't have a problem in the summer when I'm barefoot), but I'll be glad to get back out walking if this rain ever lets up. Oh and I wouldn't jump out of a plane either. Hell I don't even like travelling in them! Viviane jumped off the side of the mountain!!!

      Delete
  3. Well you're putting your feet up I see ;) hopefully you get back out to your walks soon. I love that little camera. I can see you tandem jumping close to home! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera was indeed a big hit but thank goodness we don't have to pay to get rolls of film developped anymore!!! You're right that this is the perfect weather to put your feet up but it's off and on - really weird actually. Peeing down heavy rain and then bright sunshine. I'll probably go out gardening in a minute it's that nice right now. As for that jump, I'm not totally discounting it but ....!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, life span is such a lottery. In the past couple of days conditions here have settled and we’ve finally got some summer weather, so let’s hope it lasts though it feels too hot for walking and now all those garden plants that were drowning are wilting. Sometimes it’s hard to be satisfied isn’t it? Although I’m on Cloud 9 not to have had a cold wind or rain for all of 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather's supposed to improve a little next week but it's still not "June". In any case, I'm off out for a walk now as I can't sit around here any longer. And you're right about the life lottery. I've seen so many friends/colleagues not even make it to retirement or die not long after retiring that I'm so very aware of how lucky I am, and I don't regret for one minute going early!

      Delete
  5. That is so cute that Charlie 'takes' pictures. He does not realize he has to look into and through the camera...show him that and his pictures will improve...lol.
    What was going on with your toes?
    I am afraid of heights and fear falling off a curb, so no way will I jump anywhere that high. I don't like flying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie does look through the camera lens but then gets so excited he jumps up and down as he's pressing the button. Still, he's only three so I'm sure he'll get the hang of it sooner or later. As for my foot, I know tingling in the soles of your feet can be a sign of diabetes but it wasn't that. Just felt like a deformed toe and I'd get a kind of electrical shock every so often. The doctor showed me a gizmo to block that particular toe in its alignment and so far it's working. I'm off for a walk in a few minutes so I'll see how it holds out on a longer trial!

      Delete
  6. I have not jumped out of a plane, and yet I think I would do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way José would I jump out of a plane. Heck I hate getting on one! This was a jump off the side of a mountain which I could potentially do. Otherwise, count me out (but do send me a photo if you decide to go for it)!

      Delete
  7. My husband had always wanted to sky dive so a few years ago our sons gave him a jump for his birthday. While he enjoyed the actual jump, he thought the flight up was long and claustrophobic (small plane, everyone attached to their instructor). Also, they had a bit of a hard landing and he ended up with a very sore tailbone for months. Not for me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he got to do it, so good for him! This wasn't a jump out of a plane - it was running and jumping off the side of a mountain, which is why I could potentially do it. What would worry more than jumping off though is the landing. I kinda need my knees and hips at this point!

      Delete
  8. And what we wouldn't do for some cooling rain.
    Sigh.
    I hope things clear up soon so that you can get out and walk some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have gone from winter direct into summer, skipping spring altogether (although I believe more rain is on the way). And I've already been out walking as that "splint" for my toe is working wonders. Happy days. I hope you get some rain too, but I'll be curious if they try to introduce a hosepipe ban again this year!!!

      Delete

  9. What a cute camera :) I agree with your quote that if us plebs were actually allowed to change anything....LOL. We came to realize in our recent primary election in our state, to get to decide who would run for US Senate, was all predetermined by "those in charge". I guess we feel like we are actually participating by voting, but in reality I'm sure it all means nothing :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I believe that in the important elections so many results are "pre-determined", if you will. Money and influence talk, but it looks like Reform in the UK are shaking things up a bit. My neighbour was on the village council and when he commented that he had problems with one particular project the Maire told him that he wasn't there for his opinion, he just had to say "yes"! He quit that same night!

      Delete
  10. Photos by small children are the best! Definitely worth printing and keeping some of them! I'm sorry to hear about your colleague, we all think we'll live forever and sadly its much less than forever for some. An aquaintance of mine (from school board days) has dementia. She's only a couple of years older than me and was a school head teacher and very glamourous. It's incredibly sad and quite terrifying to think about. As for jumping off mountains!! Seriously!! Not for me thats for sure. lol. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the days when you had to pay to develop a roll of film and found that 18 out of maybe 30 photos had your thumb in the middle of the picture??? At least, we don't have to do that with Charlie's pictures! My friend had been ill for a very long time with an incurable illness but she was incredibly strong and cheerful - until it finally beat her. But you're right, I think we all think we've got so much time and then it comes as a shock when we hear of someone dying or falling ill so young. Carpe diem should be all our mottos

      Delete
    2. I remember the days of developing a roll of film well and I have the evidence in a large box to prove it!! Heads chopped off, blurred photos, people so far away you can hardly tell who they are lol. Those were the days!

      Delete
    3. I'm sorting through my photos at the moment. Makes you wonder how much we spent to develop all those blurred photos doesn't it!

      Delete