The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Thursday 28 September 2023

Getting back to normal!

Life has slowly been getting back to normal at my place - well as normal as it can be with the plumber and tiler trying to work around each other. To be honest it's been fine as the plumber comes for a few hours and then leaves, while waiting for the tiler to do his bit before he can carry on! And I have to say how impressed I am with how clean they leave the place. Of course there's dust but both pick up their mess as they go along and so far it hasn't been half as stressful as I thought it would be! It's gonna be slow getting things finished of course, but I can live with that - heck I ordered the fittings in January so I guess there's no rush is there!

Yoga started back up a few weeks ago but I wasn't able to go because of having workmen in. That is until this Monday and boy was I glad to be back at it. After two months of no yoga I really missed it and even just one lesson a week sets me up for days on end. Sewing also started back up last Monday and it has been good to see everyone again, with two sisters who took a year off now rejoining the club. The last time I saw Marysette she was asking me about my solos trips (although I never really thought she would do anything about it) but lo and behold, she just sent us all a photo of her at Niagara Falls as part of her solos trip to Canada! I'm so pleased for her that she took that leap! There was a bit of a blip with flight delays and possibly missing her internal flight, but in the end it all worked out well, so I really hope she has a good experience. Then I bumped into the young lady manicurist (she of the dinky little pink caravan) at the recycling centre and she was asking me for more info as her mom is my age and very interested in doing something similar, although again with a French-speaking group! And again, I hope she does it. I've only heard one person being really negative about her solos trip but then this lady is negative about pretty much everything so I take that with a pinch of salt!

The weather is a lot cooler but still glorious and as expected my energy started coming back. The summer heat knocks me back every year so I really don't know why it surprises me. Hmmm, maybe I should start spending my summers back in the UK to get away from the heat - now there's an idea! Go back home and visit all the places I've missed over the years! The state of the house has been bugging me again so I've started setting my timer and trying to get in at least a one hour stint of decluttering/putting the garden to bed every day and it really does seem to be a system that works for me. It's amazing how much you can get done in just one hour, even to the point that those annoying little jobs are also getting done when I reach minute 50 and have to find something to fill the next 10 minutes! It's silly really, but as I say, it sure is working! I've taken so many trips to the recycling centre/charity shop that even my cluttered up basement is starting to look a little better. You know, getting rid of all those plastic plant pots I was keeping because obviously every spring I'm going to have a lush exotic garden full of organic fruit and veg! Nah, not gonna happen. I think I'll just buy it at the health food store next year! But, for the second year running I see that a local environmental group has set up a small wood-chipping truck that will come to your home and put all your hedge trimmings etc. through it at no cost to you and leaving you with all the free chippings and/or mulch. They've also set up a scheme whereby for the month of October people can try out battery-assisted bikes for free to try to encourage more people to use them and the local bus service is free to everyone, again for the month of October! Great initiatives all round, but one that really cheered me was a scheme called Pedibus, where for a very small fee children can be signed up as part of accompanied groups from the local villages walking to and from school. Over here walking to school is very feasible for the most part, so I really hope it takes off!

Jordan started his new job a couple of weeks ago, working in a two-man team for the director of his former company (you know, the one that's going bust because the owner has seemingly "disappeared" a lot of money) and who started up his own company in the local area. He enjoys working with Christophe and they pretty much have carte blanche to order any equipment they need - the boss just tells them to go ahead and order it and send him the bill! And talking of career plans, Jen has so much patience with Charlie and spends lots of time reading, playing and working with him and it's really paying off. She routinely has him sitting on her lap while she's cutting up vegetables and just last week bought him a "trainer knife" for children (I know, I was thinking the same thing)! Apparently they cannot cut themselves with it but it allows them to develop knife skills, so now Charlie is mainly responsible for all veggie prep in the evenings. They could be on to something there!

Move over Jamie Oliver!

Finally, thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes. I must admit 65 felt a little weird as this would be the birthday by which I had to retire from work. In fact, tomorrow would have been my last day had I not decided to retire five years early (still no regrets). As I've mentioned before, the fact that I'm now 65 fulfils the final condition for me to request French citizenship via ascendency (i.e. through Charlie), which is pretty much a given, assuming I haven't spent more than six months in prison (I haven't, I got divorced instead). So the other day I printed off a list of all the paperwork I would need and it wasn't too bad actually as I had most of it anyway, and already translated into French. The only two documents that I have to request are (yet another) copy of my divorce paperwork, and a copy of Charlie's birth certificate. I still find it confusing that documents issued by the French authorities have to be less than three months old. I mean nothing changes the fact that I got divorced on 23 December 2011 right? Well Jen was explaining that apparently French administrative papers are actually a "living" document, I guess drawn from a database, so if I were ever to get remarried in France (not gonna happen), my new marriage certificate would state "formerly married and divorced from P on dates X and Y"! She finds it strange that our administrative documents are "static" documents, but in the case of my divorce paperwork I'm guessing a more recent copy would also reflect any subsequent marriage. Confusing isn't it!

So last night I filled out the form to request a more recent copy of my divorce paperwork - which was pretty easy and only took about 10 minutes. In order for them to send it back to me I had to include a pre-paid envelope so then I set to to print a stamp off the French post office site (a system introduced in January of this year) but what a nightmare it was. I had also ordered a bunch of labels suitable to print stamps on (rather than having my stamps split over two labels), but when I went to pay for them and they asked for the delivery address, the web site kept spitting out that my village was "unknown to the post office"! Say what????? I spotted that the next village over was also missing from the list and yet they've been delivering my mail to me at this address for the past 33 years! After about an hour I was pulling my hair out so I'm guessing it was a simple case of "computer sez no", but eventually I got the bloody thing printed and mailed off. On the positive side, they don't charge for it, unlike the Swiss who charged me SF 33 for a copy of Jordan's birth certificate this morning!!!!

So slowly but surely I feel like I'm getting somewhere and who knows, maybe by the time the next General Election takes place in the UK I will have my voting rights reinstated (British in Europe are working on it) and maybe, just maybe, I'll even get to vote in the next French and European elections. A girl can dream, can't she!




22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks T'Pol. I hope your vacation was/is great! Can't wait to hear about it!

      Delete
  2. I’ve recently returned to the decluttering project (frightened into it by the prospect of being forced to move to alternative accommodation whilst our remediation works take place) but for me autumn doesn’t give quite the same boost as spring. Either that or I’m just overcome by the drudgery, so good for you for getting stuck in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get started isn't it, but it's true what they say - every little helps (or is that Tescos? But seriously I just lugged stuff out of the basement bit by bit without even bothering to tidy up and now it seems I'm making headway, even if there is still a lot to do. My season for coming alive is autumn so hopefully winter/spring will do it for you!

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a great birthday. I guess I missed it while I was wallowing in my own misery. Did you have cake? Wine? Or something else decadent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I needed a birthday as an excuse to drink wine I'd be 10,000 years old by now, but no we didn't do much on my actual birthday - which is fine by me. I'm off out walking and then to lunch with a friend today and then with the kids tomorrow. I mean, it doesn't matter that much as you get older does it. Oh and I hope you're making headway with your various health issues. It's got to be so hard to deal with so I really feel for you!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! I Hope to retire early, as in by 61.

    I like the French idea of documents a being living ones but it must be an administrative nightmare to keep them updated. Wonder what they did before computers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's a blast from the past. I know you'd stopped blogging for a while but am so glad to see you're blogging again - I have so much to catch up on then! If you get the chance to go at 61 go for it. I guess it's obviously a question of "can I afford it", but I have absolutely no regrets, even though I lost a ton of money. As for "what did they do before computers" - I guess the answer is "not a lot". I went to our Mairie to get an attestation de résidence" to prove how long I've lived here and they had no clue. I had to tell them since 17 April 1990, but just then the lady who'd done my initial paperwork came out of the back office and confirmed that "oh yes, she was here before Jordan was born" (he's 31 now), so I guess that's how officialdom worked in those days!

      Delete
    2. Helpful if there’s someone in the bureaucracy who’s worked there for decades and has a good memory.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. But then this was a very small village at the time and she knew everyone. She was also very nice so we were quite friendly. I mean, instead of having us pick up our residents' permits she would drop them off at the house on her way home! Sometimes it's nice living out in the sticks!

      Delete
  5. That is so exciting about your citizenship! My mom is a few years older than you but retired before 65 as well. She did not get a full pension but is ok. Ya'll are living your best lives and I am here for it. I also think you going back to the UK to explore your old haunts would make for some fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your mom went early too. I don't know anyone that has regretted it! And I would love to go back to the UK because I haven't lived there since I was 21 and obviously every time I went back after that was to see family in either Dorset or North Wales. There is so much I want to see so maybe I'll look up some guided trips over there for next year. I dearly want to go to Scotland so maybe I'll start there first!

      Delete
  6. Sorry I missed your birthday! Remember, you're not getting older, just wiser. You're much more patient then I am with your renovation. I can't wait for mine to be finished. I don't like things cluttered around the house, it makes me look like a hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday thingy is no biggy is it, although this one did hit me slightly, but only because I would have had to be quitting work now - no choice. And as for the renovations, I've always said I'm a tortoise, rather than a hare, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I would rather get it done slowly and pick up each day than live on a building site and stress about it! Good thing I'm a tortoise though eh, given the speed at which things are going!

      Delete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday and Cheers to Many More!!! 🎂🎂🎂

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely little boy Charley is and look at him cutting up those carrots! Good job!
    I loved your line about getting divorced instead of spending time in prison. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Jen is up for helping Charlie to do so much. I was a bit dubious about the knife at first but obviously she wouldn't give him anything dangerous. As for "not spending time in prison", our staff counsellor once leaned over me after I was through the thick of it and said "you'd have been out by now" - and we both cracked up!

      Delete
  9. OK I am trying to post this again. I am not having a love affair with Blogger lately.
    Charlie is adorable and good for them to involve him in food prep. My parents have a picture of me standing on a stool at the stove stirring pudding when I was about 2 1/2. It began my love affair with cooking.
    Speaking of love___so glad a divorce kept you out of jail, though a jury of likeminded women would probably have led to an acquittal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Jordan and Jen work on the premise that a child is never too young to do anything (for the most part) and it's interesting to see how quickly Charlie takes to it (he's a dab hand with a screwdriver too)! I never had the time to do that because it was always run, run, run, so I'm so glad that they are like this with him! And you might be right about an acquittal - I mean, the French invented the crime passionnel didn't they. Still, I'm glad I never went there, though God knows he pushed me hard enough! But as they say, he's no longer my circus, and not my monkeys!

      Delete
  10. I don't know what I did to fix my commenting issue, but now it works. LOL. I love that Charlie is learning to cook so young. He's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne has been having problems with commenting too. Wonder what it is (but at least it's working - for now, right)! Oh and I suspect Jordan and Jen will be eating a lot of carrots for the time being, but yes I'm glad he's enjoying himself too!

      Delete