The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Sunday 20 August 2023

Summer's back!

Well after weeks of pretty crappy weather, summer seems to be back with a vengeance. It's forecast 35°C tomorrow (95°F) and while many places get it hotter, that's plenty hot enough for me. Too hot actually, but thankfully those temperatures tend to last only about four weeks before dropping back down. Still, at least where we are we (hopefully) don't get the awful wild fires that we're seeing (mainly in Canada and Maui right now) - my heart breaks for the people caught up in that nightmare! I don't like to have the windows open at night (bugs and other creep-crawlies) but it has been hellish hot without AC, so I might put my little mobile unit on until this heat breaks!

Last Tuesday was a holiday here (Assumption), although why the French have 15 August as a holiday and not Good Friday beats me - but then I'm not Catholic so what would I know! With that in mind, the people in the white house you can see across the field in my header picture decided to have a party last Monday night and were at it all night long! Not loud music or anything like that, but just loads of people screaming and yelling (though thankfully not fighting). I read until 3 a.m. and then must have fallen asleep until more yelling woke me at 5 a.m. and then I was done. I'm a bit surprised at it actually because the French have pretty strict rules about just how much noise you can make (or how long it can go on for) but I guess this one slipped through the net. Then on Tuesday (which was the holiday) my neighbour must have decided it was a good day to drill everything within a 10 mile radius so that was me done for the day! Still, it doesn't happen that often so I guess you have to go with the flow, even if it did feel a bit like this at times!


While I was making dinner the other night, I realized that the gas flame wasn't burning very hot, which must mean that my gas bottle was running out. We don't have mains gas here so have to buy those large gas bottles that you used to see on a BBQ. Man I know I'm getting old because lugging the empty bottle down to the supermarket was bad enough but getting the full bottle off the top rack nearly killed me!!! I always have a spare on hand but could I get the damn thing to work!!!! I've changed these bottles many, many times but this time I took the sealant rings off both joints - and then realized what a stupid thing that was to do, so put them both back on and decided to sleep on it. Well next day, as often happens, I decided that "the gauge" (looked a bit like this):


... probably needed to be in the horizontal position and bingo, it works so crisis averted! While I was running around I popped into LIDL for a few things. They'd got six crates of tomatoes for sale on an end aisle and I was pretty perturbed to see a couple bagging up the whole lot (all six crates) and clearing them all out! I guess they were going to be making a lot of tomato sauce at some point but I do think they might have left a few in case other people wanted some! Not me, because I don't buy my produce there but surely there has to be some kind of etiquette for that kind of thing - or maybe not!

Jordan and Jen arrived back from Brittany having had a wonderful time. They said the initial dismal weather didn't really bother them that much as they had so many places they wanted to visit anyway. They decided to stop off on the way back to spend a few days with Jen's grandparents, and wouldn't you know but Charlie - who had been great the whole time - decided it was his time to be cranky as hell! Maybe the heat was getting to him at this point but ....! While they were away Jordan received a job offer from the new firm starting up in this area and is going to accept it - starting work with his friend, Christophe, on 11 September, so they are both delighted!

I mentioned to my friend that La Clusaz were having a craft fair on Tuesday and did she want to go (of course she did), so we mosied up there in time to have lunch and then a wander round the fair - except we couldn't find it! I mentioned to a lady sitting next to us at the restaurant (who looked a "craft fair" kinda lady) and she said they hadn't found it either, so I'm guessing the advertising was messed up. Still, with La Clusaz being my favourite ski resort it's never a hardship to drive up there and it got us out the house (without spending too much money either)!


La Clusaz!

In other news, I was saddened to hear of the death of chat show host Michael Parkinson last week. Oh he was a fair age and hadn't been well for some time, but I remember as a kid really enjoying his shows as he allowed his guests to shine, rather than holding forth with some monologue of his own. Still, what an amazing life he had, and he had to have met some of the most interesting people over his 50-year career span!

And talking of going back 50-ish years, I wrote in a recent post about the young woman who has set up a mobile manicure unit with the help of a small grant from the local commune. Well in order to show solidarity I stopped in for a mani-pedi (only the second I've ever had in my life!!!) on Monday and it was wonderful! Her little caravan transports you back to the 1950s-60s and I came out of there humming the theme tune from Austin Powers (but with slightly better teeth)! I hope she can make this work for her, and if so I will definitely keep going!



I'll have to buy this outfit for my next visit!








10 comments:

  1. Ah, the drill... now you know what I had to put up with while they were working on the house next door (on and off) for the past 6 months. An I'm lucky, no party people are me, or even near me. I'm hoping the new neighbors, whoever they are, will be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hear parties quite a bit in the summer because the village hall isn't too far away, but it's usually not that bad until they are staggering home drunk and yelling at the top of their voices (which seemed to be what this lot were doing). And as for DIY you're normally not allowed to make that kind of noise over lunch break (the sacré lunch break), beyond a certain time at night or on Sunday afternoons or public holidays. Last Sunday another neighbour was sawing wood all afternoon, but it's really only my immediate neighbour that I can hear that much and since he's an early bird it ain't fun! Still, when my husband was here our very loud arguments can't have been much fun either, I suppose!

      Delete
  2. Funny you brought up the noise, our neighborhood is usually VERY quiet but Saturday morning our new neighbor decided to have his yard mowed and to build something on his back patio. I was sitting outside reading and thought well so much for a quiet Saturday morning. First world problems though right? Stay cool. The heat has returned to us also and it is supposed to be brutal for the next 6 or 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually say anything about noise because (a) it isn't often and (b) I get along with my neighbours and want to keep it that way. As for the heat, I took myself off to the lake at Passy this afternoon and it was 39°C (102°F) when I got back to the car. As I say, thankfully these kinds of temperatures don't last very long but you do need to be careful, don't you!

      Delete
  3. Luckily we live on a larger plot of land so the neighbors aren't too close, though the guy behind us is a woodworker, so he does make a racket in the middle of the day.
    But then I remind myself that Carlos practices his trumpet late in the day and no one's complained about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a case of live and let live, isn't it, although I have on occasion, given some thought to taking up clog dancing and practicing around midnight at times!

      Delete
  4. Your neighbors had a wild party to celebrate a day of religious significance? Well, any excuse, I guess. But I feel certain that Mary did not approve.
    You really do live in a storybook place. Visually, at least.
    Glad that Jorden and Jen and Charlie are back. I bet you've missed them.
    And that little mobile nail salon is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, it wasn't music that kept me awake, it was the yelling, which I suspect had more to do with booze than anything else. When we have our village fête in May we often find young people parked (and passed out) on our little island - which I guess is better than having them drive anywhere after a night on the tiles! We were all young once huh? And you're right about that nail salon, it was adorable. I loved our camper so loved this place. She kept her "equipment" in the fridge AND she was really nice too so what's not to love?

      Delete
  5. Thing about DIY noise is that rather than everyone firing up their power tools together, they seem to pass the baton and it goes on and on a bit like the weekly lawn mowing sessions. Doesn’t normally bother me either, but I’m not so sure I could cope with an all night party in the vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That party truly was a pain in the ass, I can tell you. I think worse than the DIY/power tools though is the young kids on mopeds who then "soup them up" so they sound like a jumbo jet taking off! I guess I'm getting old!

      Delete