The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Wednesday 28 July 2021

Much better!

I think we've finally rounded the corner with Charlie as he is much, much better today. While the fever and rash disappeared fairly quickly, he just wasn't himself and Jen was having a helluva time getting him to drink, which meant she/they were up half the night trying to coax him to drink something/anything but there was nothing doing. I had him all day yesterday and again he really was taking in very little, although to be fair I reckon he wasn't dehydrated, nor was he listless. Today he went back to the crèche in the morning but again he only took 60 ml of milk (as opposed to about a minimum of 150 ml we would aim for with each bottle). I went and picked him up at 1 p.m. and what a sophisticated place that is! I needed a code to get through the initial gate, obligatory mask, of course, then I had to put on "overshoes" before I could go in (fair enough, there are little ones crawling around), show my passport before they would hand him over to me, and finally as I left I had to punch in a computer screen to record  that Charlie B was being taken off the premises. Very sophisticated! When I got back to Jordan and Jen's place I offered him a bottle and he guzzled down 150 ml and then slept for three hours! Well that can't do any harm can it! He was just starting to wake up (albeit somewhat cranky) when his dad came home so I suggested another bottle as if he was still cranky it couldn't be because he was tired. So we went for it again and he drank another 110 ml and ol' smiley face was back with us again! Jen just sent me a message to say he just took another 180 ml tonight so she's relieved and I'm hoping he will get a good night's sleep so that they can get some rest too! I have to confess to the cardinal sin of plonking him down in front of the TV yesterday though to try to keep him awake for a bit while I was getting stuff together and he seemed quite taken with Scooby Doo - all the more so since Scooby pulled it off yet again and figured out who the bad guy was! Phew, it was touch and go there for a while!

I also spoke to my friend today and he thought he might be feeling just a little better also. Not great (he had to keep taking a breather just talking to me), but he had been able to walk the 500 metres to the baker's without taking a break and was also able to do a little work on the computer before his sight went whoozy again! So no, he's not great but hopefully getting there, if very slowly!

André gets the keys to his new place on Tuesday and when he mentioned to Max that he had better start thinking about furnishing it, Max told him he should get a move on because the sales were on but were finishing tomorrow (Tuesday). So with that André put in for the afternoon and shot off to the stores to take advantage of the sales - which nobody (except Max, obviously) had thought about, since I avoid those things like the plague. Well he came back having ordered all the "big stuff" - two beds, a dining table, sofa, coffee table, TV, balcony furniture etc. and today ran out and ordered smaller stuff like a vacuum cleaner, an iron (ha, what a joke), toaster, kettle and so on, so things are looking good! He's having it all delivered next Thursday and he's paid the extra to have it all assembled too. Some people don't know they're born!!!! Hell, when my ex left he took all the bedroom furniture so I ordered a new bedroom set but then nearly drove myself nuts trying to assemble it on my own (the bed collapsed a couple of times until I figured it out). But furniture was eventually assembled (and much wine was drunk) and I'm quite happy with the end result!

On Sunday he went white water rafting as Max had a spare ticket from someone who had backed out at the last minute. What he hadn't realized was that it was with an association of disabled people, since Max's girlfriend is in a wheelchair following a car accident involving a wild boar. She's quite amazing though, as she and Max go out cycling every weekend and Max can barely keep up with her. He's a plumber and so is obviously pretty muscular, but André said the strength in Elise's arms has to be seen to be believed and she leaves them standing. Apparently there were three boats, made up of able-bodied friends/assistants and disabled people from the association. In André's boat they had Elise (who had to sit in the bottom of the boat because she has no use of her legs), a young man who had lost a leg in a motorbike accident, and a young-ish man who had been in a helicopter crash where he had lost a leg, his left forearm, the sight in one eye and had extensive burns all over his body. I told André it makes me wonder if I would ever have the strength to come back fighting like these people have, but hopefully none of us will ever have to find out. Max apparently whacked one of the assistants' finger with his paddle at one point and she was complaining to him about it, but when she complained about the pain in her finger the second time Elise just pointed to her own crippled legs and said "really?" - and they all burst out laughing! After the trip they ate in a restaurant further up the mountain and are already talking about doing it again sometime. I know André will be up for it as he said they were such a great group of people! It does make you realize how much we probably take for granted though doesn't it. So next time I feel a whinge session coming on, I hope I can take a step back and think there but for the grace of God go I, right?

20 comments:

  1. Glad Charlie is feeling better and drinking again. Poor guy.

    Working in a cancer hospital has made me realize how lucky I am to be healthy. I've lost four girlfriends to cancer already, all younger than me, which is part of the reason I want to retire. Because nobody knows what's coming down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so well-placed to be aware of this aren't you. I think we all tend to think "oh when I retire" or "oh when this happens, I'll do XXX" but now that I'm in my 60s and seeing people who never made it this far made me realize (as much as one ever can) that you really do have to live for today! And I hope you get to retire as soon as possible. That's a damn hard job you've got!

      Delete
  2. So glad the baby's feeling better. I furnished my house piecemeal, all of the original furniture was hand me downs. Things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it took him seven days and it knocked him for six, but he has finally rounded a corner now. And I know what you mean about furnishing a place. When I first moved to Geneva I had nothing. Slept on the floor until a friend lent me a camp bed and a lamp! They weren't unhappy times though were they! André has been lucky enough to save a fortune by living with me so he's been looking forward to this moment for ages. I reckon he owes me dinner though don't you!

      Delete
  3. Hurray for Charley!
    I don't think I've ever even known anyone who could just go and buy all their furniture at a whack! Or at least who did. But that's definitely the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. André was living in Geneva when he was still married and it is VERY expensive. So of course moving back into France (which is WAAAAYYY cheaper) and then moving back in with mom for nine months allowed him to save a lot of money - most of which he spent getting his place set up. He still has some left so he hasn't gone overboard but good for him. I certainly wasn't able to do that - but then those "poverty-stricken" times were actually some of the best, especially when you realize how little you actually need to be happy!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad Charlie has recovered and has an appetite. Mom used to say sleep was as good as food for babies. It is a great thing that he can sleep comfortably. Part of the recovery process I think. Congrats to Andre for having a smart brother! Lol! He is furnishing an apartment and he must be on top of every sale opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was right. I would always let my kids sleep as long as they wanted given the choice and I agree, it's the best healer. That being said, after five days of worrying about the babe not drinking, yesterday we couldn't shovel his milk in quick enough, so I guess he really is on the mend, thanks goodness!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful news about Charlie. Babies can be so sick and then bounce back so quickly. And nothing is better than the first smile after they have been under the weather.
    Glad Andre's home plans are going well, but I know you will miss his company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. André won't be able to get internet hook-up until 18 August so I suspect he'll be here during the day as he is still working from home. Still, it'll be great for him to be in his own place. That's when he'll see what he still needs to buy, but it's exciting all the same!

      Delete
  6. Great news about Charlie. You know they are getting better when they start to eat properly again don't you. I watched the film Me Before You yesterday about a guy who had a bad accident and was wheelchair bound and I thought it must be horrible to lose so much especially when he'd been so active before but it's good to hear the people Andre was out with are still as active and full of life as possible, it makes you appreciate life a bit doesn't it. I'm sorry your friend is making such slow progress, hopefully his recovery will speed up soon. Wishing Andre every happiness in his new (fully furnished) home next week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that film recommendation. I'll have to see if I can find it. André is over at Elise's place today helping move her stuff as she is moving in with Max. I reckon Elise must have been about 25 when she had her accident and god alone knows what it must have felt like to lose the use of her legs, all the more so since her passenger walked away from the accident without a scratch. It is, indeed, very sobering!

      Delete
  7. Glad the little one is feeling better. That does sound like an elaborate system to check baby out, but sounds smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the security system at the crèche was pretty amazing too, but I suppose you can't be too careful any more can you. Especially the "logging him out" bit! Wow!

      Delete
  8. Glad Charlie’s better, it’s such a relief to see them happy and not in pain any more. Andre seems to be getting on with things and sorting himself which is good for him and you too. I think we’re happier when our kids are happy (no matter how old they are!) It’s also good to retire when the goings good if you can. You don’t know what’s round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie was on fine form yesterday, despite just getting two booster shots for whatever jabs he had a month ago. And you're right, it affects you so much when your kids are hurting doesn't it. If I can swing it I'm going over to see André's new place on Tuesday (I'll have Charlie all week so it depends on his sleep pattern I guess) - I can't wait to see it! And you're right, retire as soon as you feasibly can (unless you love your job of course). I have no regrets I can tell you!

      Delete
  9. Andres story puts our minor woes to stupid! I'm excited for him and his new place. Good for Jordan and Jen that little Charlie is finally feeling better. I bet he was hungry. Good gor your Dutchman as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think André's rafting trip with that group was very sobering (and great fun) for him. Like you say, we really have nothing to moan about do we! And Charlie was indeed very thirsty but he's back to his old self now. It was a hard virus to get so young, but at least he's immune for life now! And I spoke to the Dutchman last night and while he's still not 100% he is doing much, much better, so I guess the doctors were right - he just had to ride it out for a couple of weeks - easier said than done though eh!

      Delete
  10. This cracks me up every time:
    "Some people don't know they're born!"
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an awful lot of money in Geneva and "some people just don't know they were born" is often incredibly appropriate (well so it seems to me with my working class background). They say you've lived in Geneva too long when you live in a studio and you've got a cleaning lady! Sums it up in a nutshell!

      Delete