The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 19 October 2020

Just lovely!

When Jen and I got back from IKEA on Friday Max was still at my place working on the heating system. He reckoned he had finally got it all figured and explained to me that there was a clapet de non-retour in there that had no place being there. Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! The closest I can get to it in English is a non-return valve? (I'm sure Dave will correct me), but once that was removed it now seems that my heating is up and running smoothly again. He also agreed that it was better to let the heating system run continually for most of the day on a low temperature rather than have it set on a timer as the system would have to work harder to get the room temperatures back up after continually stopping and starting. So that's where I'm at, although he still needs to get his supplier out to look at the water heater. And talking of water, I asked what the water was all over the basement floor and he explained that he had purged a few litres of water into a bucket and when he picked it up the handle had broken off, so all in all I guess he was having another bad day at my place! The water in the basement is no big deal as it's a stone floor and it dries easily, but I sense Max will be glad to see the back of me at some point (as I will him, of course)!

It's weird though because as time goes by I'm picking up more and more technical words/phrases in French that I have no idea how to translate back into English because I never had my own home in England. My dad used to roll his eyes when we were all together because my sister has lived in Denmark for over 40 years and comes out with things that sound like "hurdy, gurdy, wurdy", and then I get stuck on a French word and he would say "does anyone speak English round here anymore?" and we'd just laugh. It's even weirder because my mom's first language was Welsh so I'm sure he'd crossed that bridge more than once right?

Today is the first day that the online application for resident's permits is up and running, and taking a quick look at it, assuming the site doesn't crash, it doesn't look too onerous. André will have to provide a few more papers than Jordan or I because although he lived in France for 21 years, he had been living in Switzerland for the past 10 years so will be treated as a "new resident" I guess. Still, he should be able to provide everything pretty easily too!

In other news, the kids had told me to reserve 18 October for a birthday surprise. It turns out they were taking me and Jen's mom to the hot springs in St. Gervais for the afternoon! These are true hot springs that have been used for therapeutic purposes for many, many years and there is a slight odour of sulphur when you first walk in, but that soon abates. The springs are right at the foot of the Mont Blanc and with the weather being cold but gorgeous it was the perfect day to go. When we got there Jen told us that she'd booked us all massages (say what?), so she went off first for a "pregnancy massage" and then her mom and I were taken to another room for a joint massage session. We had the option to insist on individual rooms but we both just said "what the hell" and went in together, although I have to admit it's a bit weird to be getting semi-naked with a woman I hardly know but hey, what can I say. So we got to have a lovely massage also, and then André and Jordan went in for theirs. We spent about four hours there all together and I have to admit it was great to spend time with my kids again. I had forgotten how funny they can be and how they really spar off each other. A very helpful older employee was explaining to the group in front of us that they should take note of the number on the dressing gowns they had been provided with in order not to mix them up. When I said that we didn't have a number on ours he explained that we had been given grey gowns because that meant we were getting a spa treatment also! So André does this routine about "move over there if you don't mind, grey dressing gowns coming through" and we just doubled up laughing. The only "down" side was that I washed my hair in the shower before we left and only then found out that we weren't allowed to use the hair dryers because we couldn't be blowing hot moist air around. They had also closed down the Turkish baths for the same reason, but everything else was open to us. So I left there with wet hair thinking "damn I'm going to get sick tonight" but it was fine in the end. As we were heading back towards home, Jen told André to "park up over there" and that was when we found out that we were also going out for dinner. Now pretty much the only restaurants open on a Sunday in France will be the "immigrant" restaurants, so the Chinese or the Indians, and that's where we ended up, having wonderful Indian food and all paid for by my kids! What a great way to spend a (belated) birthday!

You can just about make out the Aravis mountain
chain from the parking lot!

The hot springs at St. Gervais

That's not my picture but the little "gypsy caravan" barrels
are saunas for up to six people!


The Indian restaurant!

This morning I contacted the Mairie in Amancy regarding our sewing club and the new covid restrictions that have been reintroduced in order to try to contain the upspike. All things being equal we can still continue to meet, but masks will be mandatory everywhere, with the limit of six people being allowed to meet up at any one time only applying to outdoor events. But as soon as I'd got off the phone with them I received an email notification from the gym I signed up at to say that Ben (my trainer) has tested positive for covid19 and that they would be closing down until 26th October! Looking back at my dates, the last time I actually saw him at the gym was 12 days ago (when I just said hallo) so I will stay away from anyone until this Wednesday as that will complete my 14 days of no contact with him. I'm really glad I didn't find this out yesterday though before setting off to St. Gervais. I don't have any symptoms anyway so I'm sure everything is fine, but I hope he's ok, and in any case I will give sewing club a miss tonight also, for obvious reasons!

22 comments:

  1. I'm really pleased your heating problems have been resolved. The Spa looks amazing and I love the Gypsy caravan saunas. I'm sure your application will go through without any problems. Essex has been plunged into the higher tier for Covid by the local authorities. I have cancelled the gym completely now. I doubt I'll use it again while covid is around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just spoke to my sister this morning and they will finish quarantining after just coming back from Spain this Thursday. Then she was telling me that they might find out that they are back in lockdown in Dorset at the weekend. Bloody hell. It seems never-ending doesn't it. As for the gym, when I've been there there are usually maximum 3 people so I've always felt safe, and we can't use the showers etc. Plus everyone disinfects everything they touch, but still, it's a worry. I would hate to pass it on to someone because I wasn't aware I was carrying it but there is no way to be 100% safe is there. I just did my online application for French residency and it took about 15 minutes with the site working well, so I'm both pleased and relieved. One more hurdle has been jumped over!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day with your kids! And yes, I'm sure you're fine but better safe than sorry. Take care, dear woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a lovely day, and yes I feel ok, although I worried about yesterday and the wet hair episode. It's difficult isn't it - we can't wrap ourselves up in a protective bubble and yet we still have to get out there too. Can't wait for this second wave to be over though, so that we can all get back to some form of normality!

      Delete
  3. The hot springs look wonderful. We have some pretty close to us in the mountains here, but we've never been to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I enjoy them as they are so relaxing - even better when it's snowing outside!

      Delete
  4. I love reading your posts.
    The birthday plan sounds lovely to me except for the massage part. I am one of those freaky people who do not like to be touched by anyone who is not part of their tribe.
    As for the inability to translate a plumbing part__I speak fluent English but when explaining what my plumber told me to TheHub I use terms like "the little doohicky that attaches to the funny thing in the tank"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I use the word "thingy" an awful lot in English too. I guess my "technical French" is going to be better than my English at some point then. And I was always uncomfortable being massaged/touched by a stranger too - and then one day I just thought "to hell with it" and now I enjoy it. Took me a while though!

      Delete
  5. I hope all is well. So outside the limit is 5 or inside the limit is 6? holidays are going to be different this year, but I want my family safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the lady at the Mairie explained it to me is inside we're good as long as everyone wears a mask and keeps 1.5 - 2 metres apart. No eating, nor drinking (i.e. no parties). Outside, I think it's to discourage "rallies" (for want of a better word). It doesn't make total sense to me but ...

      Delete
  6. I am curious about getting a massage but, like Anne, I do not like to be touched by strangers. Glad you had a nice birthday. Happy Birthday! Those Gypsy Barrels look great. I use to have a very itchy and flaky spot in my right hand and another behind my right ear. Many years ago a bunch of friends and I went to a similar but much primitive place where they had lots of sulphur in the water just for fun. Few months later I realized that my itchy spots were gone! My skin was like a baby's bottom for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like being "touched" either (it's not very British is it!!!) but then I realized this was their job and they'd seen much worse than me. It took me a long time to get used to it though! And these were the first springs I'd noticed that were noticeably "sulphur" but it makes sense that they might help your skin condition I guess, if they use them for physiotherapy patients also I guess.

      Delete
  7. How lovely to be able to do something special at the moment and for others to do the organising. Sometimes I feel as though I have to think outside the box just to keep normality going - bit like with your sewing group, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was lovely to have someone else organize it, but Jen's very good at that (I guess the boys just stumped up the cash!) and while I was VERY strict during our 12 week lockdown, not going out other than for shopping, as soon as we were allowed out I tried to get back to as normal a life as possible. That being said, I don't go to crowded places and if I am with other people it is a small group - whatever the government dictates at the time. I know anyone can catch it but it's a fine line between being totally paranoid and living as normal a life as currently feasible isn't it!

      Delete
  8. Isn’t it always that the heat quits in cooler weather and the AC dies in summer?
    The hot springs sounds wonderful. And with a massage? I clearly need some pampering!
    And so, happy belated birthday, and thanks for the anniversary wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, you only find out your heating has quit when you turn it on don't you (and I don't have AC anyway). I must admit when the hot water has quit on me before now I would always appreciate it if it did so in the summer rather than the winter - but we don't have much control over that do we! And yeah, go pamper yourself (and Carlos)! I'd highly recommend it!

      Delete
  9. Honestly, I don't know a thing about heating systems, I totally avoid anything to do with either plumbing or heating. I also have one of those fancy thermostats and never use it. My gym is open. Everyone seems to be fairly happy socially distancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, when I've been to the gym I've only seen maximum four people in there (on two different levels) at any given time so it hasn't worried me too much. AND people have been very good about disinfecting the machines after use. I think my gym had to inform us all mainly because they're shutting down for a week, but as I hadn't seen Ben for almost two weeks already (and then only at a distance), and I don't have any symptoms I'm fine. I mentioned it to my neighbour yesterday evening and she was horrified that I didn't want to get a test (I told her because I didn't accept their offer to come in and have a drink with them) but then I told her I would stay at home for another couple of days to make up the full two week after my remote contact with Ben (he was in another room) and then get back to living my life. That being said, it's school break here anyway so we will have no classes for the next two weeks anyway. As I said above, it's a fine line to draw between what you're comfortable with and what others are comfortable with isn't it!

      Delete
  10. It makes me crazy when in a group of people who continually run the temperature up and down. I am glad your heat is working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to have my house too hot as it gives me a headache. My neighbour always says how cold it is in my place but I can't sit in her house without wanting to strip off and throw the windows open (and it's got nothing to do with menopause - more where I grew up, of course). My ex used to crank the temperature up to unbearable levels and then walk around in his underwear. My argument was always put some clothes on and move around (I guess you can see just ONE of the reasons why we got divorced right there right)!

      Delete
  11. It's nice to know your heating problems have been solved before winter sets in. I don't like to be too warm in the house but hubby is on blood thinners which means he feels the cold more, particularly in his extremities. He's forever sitting with his hand over his nose to try to heat it up!! At least he goes and puts a cardi or jumper on now before he turns on the heating.
    It sounds like you had a lovely belated birthday day. Those kind of presents are the best kind aren't they.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough when you're not on the same page body temperature-wise with your other half. It was difficult when I was at work too because my French colleague felt the cold whereas my Irish colleague and I would always want to throw the windows open! And yes it was a lovely birthday present - just spending time with the kids was lovely!

      Delete