The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Thursday 21 May 2020

I'm so glad I made the effort!

I gave myself a real talking to yesterday. My ideal future always involved being done with work and having plenty of time to "go hiking in the mountains". So now I'm retired and do indeed have plenty of time to go hiking in the mountains - except I'm still not fit. When I was at school I loved sports, all of it, played basketball for my county for two years and was up for anything. I guess many of us were the same, right? But then four years at college and having no time (long commute - the story of my life it seems, working weekend jobs and so on) and the sport that I loved so much went out the window. Then came my job in Switzerland and while I skied that was about it. And you know how the rest of it goes don't you. Work, commute, marriage, family and I just became totally unfit and hated it, but obviously not enough to do anything about it. But now what's my excuse? I don't have one right, and I know it. Anyway, my neighbours were telling me on Monday that they had just come back from a short hike at the Plâteau de Cenise so I thought "that's it, that's where I'm going on Wednesday". Jordan and his mates used to hike up there when they were younger and just camp out up on the plâteau. Jordan even used to strap a wooden garden chair to his back and lug that up there with him. I told him we had plenty of fold-up camping chairs but nope, he wanted that chair, so lug it up there he did. He must have looked like King Canute sitting up there in the middle of the mountains on his chair but what can I say, a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do. Cenise is also the spot where my friend, Valérie, scattered her son, Hugo's, ashes after he was killed in a horrific car crash nine years ago and when the kids used to go up there to camp they always took flowers to leave for Hugo!

Anyway, back to the plot. There is a road to get up there that I absolutely hate. It's more or less a bloody goat track and basically a one lane road with a few passing points. You get hairpin bends and cars coming to within a few millimetres of each other. Another coat of paint and you'd take the side of your car off. So I wasn't going to go up that road but headed out looking for the other, easier, road, but guess who screwed up. Yep, I ended up back on the road from hell, called the Gorges du Bronze, but with my heart in my mouth and on a wing and a prayer I actually made it up to the parking lot. Let's face it, there was no reversing back down or doing a u-turn anyway was there!

The road through the Gorges du Bronze - not too bad at this point but it got steadily worse!

The "goat track" - this is where I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best!
When I got further up into the meadow land I saw the most amazing alpine flowers ever. Not at the very top, but about two-thirds of the way up, they were just stunning. I couldn't stop to take a picture (for obvious reasons) so had to use a stock picture but those wild flowers were just so beautiful. Actually I've scattered a couple of packets of wildflower seeds in my garden and will be well pleased if they turn out anything like this.


Eventually I made it up as far as I could go by car, slathered on a smidgeon of sun cream and set off. And here's where I get annoyed at myself. You see, it wasn't even particularly hard walking but I was puffing away like a blue whale for the first 15 minutes until I got into my stride, and that's just ridiculous at my age. Okay, losing 40 lbs would probably make it a lot easier but still!!! There were much older couples on that walk - probably nearer 80 than 70 - and they just plodded on at a steady pace with no apparent difficulty. I know they've probably been doing it all their lives but still, you can see why I get annoyed with myself can't you. Anyway, I made it up to what was my initial destination of the cross, but then realized it was only another 20 minutes to the plâteau itself so just kept on going, for a total walk of about an hour, I guess.







The highest point is at over 1,700 metres and to be honest I should have known better with the "sunscreen business" because I didn't use it often enough!!!! It is deceptively cooler at altitude but the sun's rays are that much harsher so I managed to burn the back of my neck a bit and also have a rather fetching "V shape" on the front of my chest the colour of a turkey cock's arse (as my dad used to say). Still, I guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Many years ago, before I was married, my then boyfriend and I went skiing for the day at over 2,000 metres. I had put a "dab" of sunscreen on in the morning and then forgot all about it. The end result was that I got sunstroke and my face swelled up to the size of a basketball. Then my boyfriend fell over in the parking lot on the way back and broke his wrist. To say we should have stayed home that day is probably an understatement!

Before!

A couple of days after our ski trip!



When I got to the top, the elderly couple behind me branched out to continue on so I asked them where they were headed. They said the Rochers de Leschaux, which was about another couple of hours' walk and quite tricky in parts, but the lady called it "sublime", said it was a nature reserve and you could see mountain goats, marmots and all kinds of wild animals. So that'll be another one to add to the list, once my fitness levels are up to it (if ever).


As you can see, there are still scattered patches of snow


All in all I probably only bumped into 10 people in total all afternoon, although I did spot one lady about 300 metres further down from me wearing a face mask???? She's in the middle of the alps with no-one around and still feels the need to wear a face mask? Oh well, each to his own I guess!

22 comments:

  1. Getting fit again is such hard work. But when you get into it it's great to see and feel improvement. I expect weight loss will happen as you climb more, too, if that's a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually takes me about three weeks of consistent effort to get to the point that I really enjoy it, but I want to get in some kind of shape to be able to enjoy my surroundings to the fullest. In any case, getting older does you no favours physically does it so I guess it's use it or lose it! And yes losing weight would be great but that's not the main objective.

      Delete
  2. You are a better woman than I! What a beautiful place you live in but that road- nope. Could not do it. Could not drive it.
    Don't get sunstroke again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't drive that road by choice but once again got on the wrong road. It does make my stomach turn - not the drop over the edge so much as meeting cars coming the other way - and I did!

      Delete
  3. The hills are alive with the sound of music!!! Oh what a backdrop, what beauty, nature at it's best. You really are very lucky. I know what you mean about fitness. Its having the stamina to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely hit the nail on the head - I want to "have the stamina to continue" because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. And I have a video somewhere of my former mother-in-law "running" up the hill, twirling and starting to sing "the hills are alive" and then all we heard was "oh shit, I stepped in a cow pat" and we all cracked up because she NEVER swears!

      Delete
  4. That road is pretty in pictures, but I don't know about actually driving on it. Still, the destination is gorgeous.

    And one day, the huffing and puffing will be a memory; you just need to get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind the drive but trying to pass other vehicles is what gives me the heeby-jeebies. And you're right, the huffing and puffing should disappear if I keep it up (will let you know)!!!!

      Delete
  5. Could we be anymore international twins! though, I'd say I need to lose 60 pounds to really be in better shape, but ounce by ounce I might be getting closer. My girls were great the other night suggesting we go on a different walk, and then the youngest pushed me to go another 1/4 mile or so, which became 1/2 mile round trip, so every step, every climb will help. They reminded me I climbed to the second flour of the Eiffel tower, and to the top of Notre Damn, and walked all over London and Cardiff, Washington DC, and Paris. Certainly some longer state and national park hikes are in order. Your poor nose in that picture. I did you get that lovely post peel dry skin, almost scabbing? I get that when I burn badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we do seem to have very similar tastes/experiences don't we. And well done on going a little farther on your walk. That's the only way to do it isn't it really - increase the length/difficulty. As for my nose, I think it was ok (it was many years ago obviously). I do remember the doctor putting me off work for two days because my eyes were just little slits and my skin looked like it might split, but other than that I'm just glad my boyfriend was doctor and I didn't scare him off as he had, apparently, seen worse!

      Delete
  6. Hm, weird about the mask. I wear mine indoors only. What absolutely beautiful scenery. Hey - you went for the bloody walk, don't be so hard on yourself! We drove a similar road in Colorado. It is nicknamed "Oh My God Road". Used to be a stagecoach road that is only still used by 4x4ers and motorbikers. Missing parts where the road has fallen into the canyon and no guardrails. We went down it by accident and couldn't turn around. Needless to say when we got to the bottom I had nearly s*it myself....a beer was consumed very shortly thereafter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been over a few Oh my God" roads too in my time but not often when I've been driving. I remember in Flaine (a local, high altitude ski resort) and in Crete taking a bus trip and as we went round a few bends the front of the bus was right over the precipice. Luckily I was young and invincible at the time. And don't even get me started going up to Machu Picchu. It was the driving bit that nearly did me in - I was just terrified of having to back up to let another car past. Thankfully it didn't happen but I sure was glad to see the "organic" toilets when I parked my car!

      Delete
  7. Years ago we were heading to the south of France to go on a Keycamp holiday with our three children. We stopped off with my aunt in Geneva for a few days to break the journey as we'd already driven a full two days from Scotland. Anyway, my aunt said 'why don't you go a more scenic route there is a road called the 'route napoleon' which will take you all the way to the south' so we took that road and it was indeed very scenic. Then hubby wanted a nap so I took over the driving and suddenly became aware we were zig zagging alot and then noticed we were very high up and the road seemed to be getting more and more narrow and suddenly I was gripping the steering wheel like it was glued to me and terrified as the edge of the road seemed very close to me (I was in our own left hand car)with a very steep drop. The lovely scenery didn't hold quite the same appeal after that! Needless to say, we returned from the south on a larger road! I'm sure you'll get fit without trying too hard as you walk more. I got fit at work climbing four flights of stairs every day and wondered why I felt so unfit when I left work! I would like to feel fitter but I really can't find the inclination to actually do anything about it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the route de Napoléon well. We had a camper for about 15 years and we discovered the bliss of taking our kids for the weekend to the Serre Ponçon dam/reservoir which is just spectacular. Sisteron/Gap area, but again it there are a load of "goat tracks" aren't there!

      Delete
  8. Those pictures are stunning. Hills and their gravity always make things more difficult. It is really great cardio, though. Forty some odd years ago, when I opened the Colorado Springs Marriott, suntan lotion was the first thing they gave us to keep from burning. I'm glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well even though that hike is considered easy it was definitely uphill and my heart and lungs knew about it, but I'll keep at it. And as I have pale skin I've always stayed out of the sun, the sun in the mountains being much more treacherous than at sea level (as I found out on more than one occasion)!

      Delete
  9. I am truly impressed with you! To get fit again would mean I had to be fit before and if we are talking a decade or so then fit again might apply.
    You have some gorgeous walking trails/hikes. There are actually some pretty places here and I guess now is as good a time as any to start walking, but I am pretty sure I can find an excuse. I had much rather swim my way to fitness, and I can start that right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved sport when I was younger but like so many that fell by the way over time. But I see no excuse for not being fit really, because if you think about it the alternative is rather horrifying as things don't improve with age. Check out Ernestine Shepherd (who is in her 80s) for inspiration.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you have some spectacular scenery to inspire you to keep walking. Thanks for sharing that. As for the lady in the face mask. perhaps she has people in other surroundings who do not wear them when they should or who do not social distance properly and she is simply being a bit cautious. That is my situation here as well. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here 40 years and I'm still in awe of the mountains - hence I want to be fit enough to enjoy them. As for the lady in the mask I have no idea, I only saw her from a distance but it did look strange to me.

      Delete
  11. You have to stick with the walking - not just to get fit - but so you can take us on more walks around your beautiful part of the world!

    And slap on the sunscreen, lavishly. Sun burn is no fun. As a very white Aussie, growing up before we had sun block, I had so many sun burns growing up. I kick myself when I still forget to cover up.
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I burn so easily that I always stay out of the sun but I am guilty of not putting ENOUGH sunscreen on when I have to go out in it. I'll never understand these people who are capable of just lying in the sun but then I guess their skin isn't mine is it!

      Delete