The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Tuesday 4 June 2019

Time to get a grip!

Having done pretty much bugger all all day I realize I have to get a grip on this retirement thingy. I have always been a late bird but going to bed at 1 a.m. (or even 2 a.m.) most nights probably isn't the best way to go about it. It means I tend to get up around 8.30 a.m., so not horrendous but I think I really need to get into a better routine. All the more so since the good weather is on its way and I can't take the mid-day heat! I know, I know, here I am already whinging about the heat when they have had 500 tornadoes in one month in the US mid-west! But I really can't take the heat - hence I need to start getting up earlier. Otherwise, lately, I just seem to be wasting my days. Not that I minded looking at the scenery and with the peonies just starting to bud it was a pleasure but I don't want too many days like that, to be honest!



For once I don't even want to be on that plane!
What wasn't a waste though was my Tuesday afternoon yoga lesson. I love it. But, the young teacher is into yoga all the way and occasionally brings in a harmonium for anyone who wants 10 minutes of "mantra chanting" in Sanskrit at the end of the lesson. Maybe it'll grow on me but so far I can't say it's my thing. To make matters worse, you know how when you go to your kids' Christmas concert and the kid who is completely tone deaf is the one with the loudest voice. Well we've got one of them in our group. All I could hear was her off-key screeching and it made me just want to giggle. I didn't want to be rude so just closed my eyes and tried to keep myself in check - it wasn't easy though! But, like I say, this young teacher is excellent - and it turns out she isn't as young as she looks! I had her pegged at early 30s but when she realized I was English she told me she had been engaged to a Brummie (someone from Birmingham, England) about 20 years ago, so easily making her in her 40s. Well I'm a Brummie and with apologies to any other Brummies out there - seriously we have the worst accents you can imagine. If you have ever watched Peeky Blinders you'll get it! She said there was no way she could understand his mother and had to try to just wing it. I laughed when I described the look of absolute horror on my Algerian boyfriend's face when he met my family. His English wasn't very good anyway, and while my family really took to him - he just couldn't understand them!

And talking of Karim, as I was marking off the day on my wall calendar on 28 May I realized it was his birthday. We had got back in touch again when I found out he did an emergency operation one Easter Sunday on a friend's son and her husband recognized him from way back when. Anyway, I sent him a "happy birthday" message and he called me back about 10 minutes later and we are going to get together for lunch sometime soon - and he said he will show me around his surgery. Did well for himself, I guess, but then I always knew he would!

Then on Wednesday I met up with my friend for a drink after I had used the gym. He was in a bit of a "pissy" mood because he had started smoking again and felt rough. So he told me he was going to have just "one more" then give the packet to me to dispose of. Well I just threw them in my bag (although why I don't know because I have never smoked). Traffic on the way home was bloody awful for both of us. I got stuck near the airport at a complete standstill for about 40 minutes and it took me 90 minutes to get all the way home. Again! I tell ya, I don't miss that at all. In fact, one day last week someone posted a travel advisory to "watch out" at a particular spot just after the border because sheep had broken loose from their paddock and were on the motorway. It just keeps getting better doesn't it!

So when I was at a standstill (engine off) I texted C to say that I "felt like a ciggie" - just to annoy him really - so found the cigarette lighter, lit one up and sent him a photo of me "enjoying that ciggie". Yuck! Then of course because I had never smoked I didn't have the right "wrist flick" action to get the ash off that thing. Started panicking looking for the ashtray (which I have never used either) but finally figure out how to open it before I burned my car seats! I guess that'll teach me to play smart ass huh!

And finally, I see the Donald is bestowing his presence on the UK again (and his four adult kids - what's with that?) Not to worry, Queenie can handle him. But while I have never liked him, I have to admit Melania can pull it off in the fashion stakes! I know, lots of money and stylists help but she is definitely a credit to the (mainly US) designers whose gowns she wears! I could have all those advantages and still end up looking like something the dog threw up! Oh well, I guess we all have different vocations in life don't we!

6 comments:

  1. I love the smart ass cigarette story! It sounds like something I would do! Except I would never find the ash tray and would be trying to balance 2 inches of ash before it fell over everything, me included. Then I would probably drop the whole thing and burn or melt something, because I am so graceful and well prepared for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll serve me right for being a pillock. He asked why I didn't just through it out the window but I don't like to litter!

      Delete
  2. I am a night owl too. Desperately trying to change my habit. As for the Queen: Poor woman! Beheading someone she dislikes is no longer an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess for all her privilege she has had to sit through some bloody boring stuff. And constantly being photographed? Ugh! I wouldn't swap with any of them! And I don't know how you become a morning person, although I did force myself to bed at midnight last night so that was a start!

      Delete
  3. Love the cigarette story....reminds me of being 16 and my boyfriends car broke down with other friends. The boys went off to get gas/something to fix it with and the girls remained in the car. We found some cigarillos in the glovebox...they came back and we were green from smoking them. I've never been a smoker and believe that incident helped prevent me from becoming one lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for me, if you didn't get hooked having a crafty one behind the bicycle shed at school to "look cool" you were probably never going to smoke. I was never going to look cool anyway so I'm glad I missed out on that one. Apart from what it does to your health and how antisocial it has now become, I don't know how anybody can afford it!

      Delete