The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Wednesday 16 January 2019

North Wales!

I've been in North Wales (Conwy specifically) since last Tuesday when I flew out to see my brother, who has been hospitalized since around 27 December. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the stomach so I knew I had to get here quickly. What a shock that was as he only fell ill about six weeks ago! Anyway, I have been to see him and will (possibly) post more about him in another post, but I wanted to write a little about my stay in North Wales apart from as it pertains to my brother's health, because it has brought back so many memories!

My mom was from Betws-y-Coed (the chapel in the woods in Welsh) so I spent most of my summers staying in Betws as a little girl, and then working in my aunt's café on the quayside in Conwy after that. The first thing that strikes me is how pretty and green it is (all that rain you see), how many sheep there are (they are everywhere), and how lovely I find the Welsh language, which is now compulsory in Welsh schools. Truth be told it is probably closer to French than English and I just love that lilt!

I have been staying at my brother's house in Conwy. My brother's partner, Margaret, has been staying here since he became ill and for the first few days his oldest son, D, was also here. For D it is the ultimate struggle that we all have when we are still working, trying to get over to Conwy from Manchester (he doesn't drive), be there for his dad and also keep up with his work. To say it is stressful for him would be an understatement! Anyway, I arrived in Conwy by train and yet again it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful North Wales is.

This photo could have been taken from the back of my aunt's café (now a fish and chip shop)!

Conwy Castle
My sister, her husband and my other brother drove up from Dorset and after heading out to the hospital to see my brother we all ended up meeting up in Llandudno, where they were staying, to have dinner. Llandudno is also very beautiful with very gentile properties lining the long promenade. It was here that Lewis Carroll made his home for a time, I believe, and there are many, many statues throughout Llandudno paying tribute to his Alice in Wonderland characters!

The Grand Hotel - where my family stayed

The Mad Hatter

The promenade at Llandudno
My oldest son and his wife flew out for the weekend to see my brother (which he really appreciated) and took a trip up the Great Orme after their hospital visit - they told me it was beautiful! And to think in all the years I have visited Llandudno I have never been up there!

Great Orme
Another day after visiting my brother (he couldn't take too many visitors or for too long) we took a trip out to Betws-y-Coed as I wanted my son to see my grandmother's B&B (they loved it)!

My gran's place - Bod Hyfryd

Betws train station




Pont-y-Pair bridge
When the salmon are spawning they leap over the huge rocks at Pont-y-Pair bridge to try to get upstream. It is fascinating! Another time after the hospital we decided to eat in Conwy and ended up taking a walk on a very windy quayside to visit the "smallest house in Great Britain". My daughter-in-law, Lily, who is Swiss, just loved it and they have both decided that they are going to take a road trip round Wales at the earliest opportunity.

The smallest house in Great Britain
I apologize for not being so up-to-date on my blog reading/commenting but this week has been a bit intense, to be honest. It felt sad to be seeing all these lovely things without my brother, who is indeed terminal, but he could only take so much "visiting" at any one time. But we at least had time to create some good memories with him, I got to tell him how much I loved him, and he has promised to "come back and visit" from the other side as we both believe in the after life! I will write more about him in my next post.

13 comments:

  1. That part of the world sure does look beautiful. I am so sorry about your brother but so glad you got to spend the time visiting both him and other family members

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very "brooding" which is oddly comforting. Kinda sad though that we only seem to get together for funerals though isn't it (although we will have my other son's wedding in July - which my brother was so looking forward to taking Margaret to with him). I guess he will be there in spirit (he'd better be, or I will give him a piece of my mind)!

      Delete
  2. It sounds as though there will be plenty of sweet to balance the bitter of this trip and that's about all we can hope for in the circumstances.
    I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, we sure needed the sweet in there too!

      Delete
  3. I have only ever been in your position with my father and seeing he was 86 it was more acceptable. I can't imagine going through it with a sibling. We were in Llandudno and Colwyn bay in 2017, it was beautiful. Lots of my childhood holidays were in north Wales being a Liverpudlian. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liverpool isn't that far at all is it, especially if you have a car. I flew in to Liverpool but couldn't find a flight back on the day I wanted so I'm flying out of Manchester on Thursday. Got to go back sometime I guess, and I've said my goodbyes!

      Delete
  4. Ah, Wales! I love the Welsh accent and the Welsh language - it sounds musical to me. I have cousins near Carmarthen, which I've visited a few times. Wales is lovely! A bittersweet experience for you, seeing where you spent so much time as a child and saying good-bye to your brother at the same time. I hope you can get some peace around it all before you return home. Sending a little love from Hampshire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Wales - the land of "four seasons in one day eh"! It certainly is today. I walked into Conwy with no coat on a couple of hours ago and now we hail stones!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your brother. What beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin just left and invited me to come back when he can drive me around so maybe I will get to visit under happier circumstances!

      Delete
  6. So sorry to read about your brother coming to the end of his days. Loss is never easy....

    I wanted to thank you for the present for Hubs that arrived recently but I don't have your email so I'll so Thank You! here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sluggie, I'm glad the calendar got there (hope it wasn't all bent up). I accidentally picked up 2 calendars in Sicily (only wanted one) and when you said your hubs was from there I thought "here we go"..... Glad you liked it!

      Delete