Beef with Thai basil
For 1 person
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 400 g good quality filet steak (about 14 oz), finely sliced
(I suspect this is for 4 people so for one person you probably need less. I guess you would have to "wing it" as far as quantity goes)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- one or two tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ pepper (red or yellow look prettiest) sliced into strips
- ½ onion cut quite chunky
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 birds eye chili
- a few Thai basil leaves
- ground pepper to taste
* Heat the oil in a pan (it doesn't have to be a wok). Add crushed garlic and chilli pepper and cook gently.
* Add onion and sliced pepper and cook slightly. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, fish sauce and 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.
* Cook for a few minutes before adding the beef and the Thai basil. Do not overcook the beef.
Serve with jasmine rice which has been rinsed in cold water before cooking.
Note: The quantities for the sauces are very personal – they are what was written on my recipe sheet and I think they are for 1 person, but I suspect the 400g of beef is for 4 people not 1 person. I like my food quite salty so I would probably add more fish sauce/soy sauce. Our lady teacher was rather vague about quantities as it is very personal.