We got to spend our first morning wandering around the hotel and the small beachside resort of Benalmadena - basically checking out the beach and the dozens of restaurants and shops within a short walking distance. After lunch we were joined by our very pregnant guide for the short trip to Mijas, which is a small village situated at 460 metres above sea level. I learned quite some years ago that the homes in these villages are not actually painted with white paint, but are treated with limewash as it is both a natural disinfectant and insect repellant. The down side of using limewash, though, is that it has to be renewed fairly frequently but either way, it paints a very pretty picture!
![]() |
| The famous donkey taxis! |
It was a very pretty little village and our guide told us that if we intended to do any shopping, this was the place to do it (turns out she was right, of course). The little backstreet stores were bursting with decorative items and beautiful leather bags at very reasonable prices. Since I wanted to buy myself a new bag, I clocked the place I intended to go back to once our guided tour was over. The guide told us that there were very few steps but if we wanted to go see the 17th century chapel of the Virgen de la Pena (can't find the Spanish accents for this right now - sorry), then it would involve a little walking and that anyone who didn't feel up to it might prefer to sit on the main square with a drink before wandering around the stores for a little shopping!
![]() |
| The chapel of the Virgen de la Pena! |
After our guided visit we had about an hour's free time so I sat with a couple of ladies to have a drink before heading off on my shopping spree - and that was when Marie-Claire came running over to say that Anne-Marie had lost her sun glasses and would I mind going back to the stores with her to try to find them! Sod it! Here we go again! So I went with her to a couple of stores and sure enough one of them had her sunglasses. As I was starting back up the hill to check out the bags I heard someone yelling that Anne-Marie had now lost her reading glasses but I dipped into the nearest store and stayed there until it was quite obvious I wasn't coming back. Lady, put a chain on your bloody glasses or superglue them to your forehead - I don't care but do whatever it takes to not keep losing stuff. In the end she couldn't find them and was mighty annoyed because she'd only just gotten them. All this pissing around meant that I didn't get to go back to the store I'd picked out to look for a bag, so I was in no mood to hear it when someone pointed out that Anne-Marie was really struggling to make it back to the bus. When I heard her say "I know I'm a bit tubby" I almost fell over 'cos that "tub" probably weighed somewhere between 70 and 80 lbs, so I asked our guide if we could take a minute for her to rest, but when her friend said she was still struggling I asked her what she expected anyone to do - have me push from behind while our pregnant guide pulled from the front? The honest truth is she's about 70 years old and a good 70 lbs overweight but she made the decision to take that tour, despite our guide's warning and ultimately it had to be her problem to solve!
Then I had Monique chasing after me all morning like a lost puppy. She suggested it might be a nice gesture to send a postcard back to the new lady Mayor who allows the club to use their clubhouse free of charge. I told her I thought that was a good idea but that she should just sign it herself rather than have all of us on the trip sign it because then she'd end up running round trying to make sure she'd gotten all the signatures. She wasn't best pleased with my answer so I told her to go ahead and do what she wanted, but it seemed to me that she wanted me to go with her while she bought the postcard - eh, no thank you, I've had enough of hand-holding already on this trip and it was only our first day!
I'd gotten sick just before we travelled so was still nursing a bit of a cough and when I coughed she started up with the "can I get you a Tylenol, do you want me to go to the pharmacy for you, can I get you a hot tea, shall I carry your bag for you"? I told her no thank you as I was perfectly fine but by this time I really wanted to shout "for god's sake just back off will you" (I didn't, but how I held it in all week I don't know)! With the drama of the previous day, in the evening, when people were having an apéro, Monique had gone from table to table rehashing the story over and over again. At first people were sympathetic but eventually they just wanted to sit by the pool and chat about their new grandbaby, their knee replacement or just enjoy the view, but no, Monique constantly interrupted everyone regurgitating the same old, same old, until someone asked me what we could do to make her shut up. In the end I suggested it might be a good idea to take the microphone on the bus and set out the facts exactly as they had happened so that everyone would have the correct story and we could be done with it once and for all. Ha, if only - she did indeed tell the story over the microphone but oh foolish me if I thought that was the end of it. She obviously rambles through things constantly in her mind and by the time she gets to sit down she's already rehashed a whole new story to regale everyone with!
The saving grace of the day was that it was my birthday and Jen sent me a voicemail of Charlie singing happy birthday to me in English. Then Elynn had a go and since she and I often play wolves, her song sounded like "aawwwooooo to you, aawwwooo to you" - but it was so lovely I wanted to cry!
It made up for what already seemed to be becoming a pattern of being pulled all over the place by people who, if they can't assume responsibility for themselves at this point, well then I'm sorry, but maybe they should stick closer to home in the future! Ha, and to think I even toyed with the idea of becoming a tour guide after I retired. Shoot me now if I ever mention that again!
![]() |
| A former monastery in Mijas! |








Oh what a shame you didn’t get back to the shop. I would have been right royally pissed off. I knew there’d be more tales of you coming to rescue others. People used to finding enablers always find enablers - they find someone who can pick up their slack. Good on you for hiding out. And as for asking your opinion on the postcard, I am too blunt for that malarkey. If you want me just to agree with you, tell me up front but don’t expect me to do anything with my agreement.
ReplyDeleteWhile I certainly don't mind helping out, and everyone pitched in to help the three ladies with the walking sticks (carrying their bags etc.) I was already starting to get fed up of the hand-holding. I mean, if I hadn't been on the trip what would they have done? I'm so used to travelling with people who are independent and know what they're doing. Heck, the oldest of our group in Thailand was an 80 year old man who had just come back from Uganda and was great company to boot!
DeleteWhen groups of people who are a certain age and above, some of whom have physical difficulties in getting around, there should be someone who is actually hired to take care of these sorts of things. What would they have done if you hadn't been there? Well, that's a good question but I'm sure something would have been figured out. Perhaps you should only go on tours where the average age is a bit lower and the average ability is a bit higher.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile- Happy Birthday!
To be honest, the physical difficulties were easier to deal with than those that wanted hand-holding to buy a t-shirt because "I don't speak Spanish". As you say, what would they have done if I hadn't been there - muddled through, I suspect. As regards my own travelling I will stick to the groups I frequently travel with where everyone is responsible for themselves. This just happened to be an old fogies' club trip and I wanted to show willing, but I will suggest they stick to France in future - and no airplane travel!
DeleteGood for you trying to duck out on all of this nonsense but I can imagine how ticked you were to not be able to do a bit of shopping like you planned. I am all for helping others myself, but it seems like there were a number of people on this trip that just need too much attention. Happy belated birthday! I am sure the call made your day.
ReplyDeleteThe majority of the people on the trip were just fine but all it takes is one or two that need hand-holding and it spoils it for everyone - well definitely for me! And then I resent it because if you aren't autonomous enough (mentally) to do such a trip, then I don't think you should be going on it. That might seem selfish but it isn't to me if you then end up being a burden on everyone else!
Delete